• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Canals of Birmingham

The Kings Norton Stop Lock in 2012.

The Shirley Drawbridge also seen in 2012.

Lapworth Locks seen in 2012.

Bridge at Wootton Wawen in 2014. Also known as Lucy's Farm Bridge.

Wootton Wawen Aqueduct in 2017. (near the Navigation Inn)

Service Shops at Lyons Boatyard seen earlier in 2018 (this year). Near Yardley Wood / Warstock.

Did the Stratford three years ago, on the way back .My wife decided.to open the Drawbridge, two finger job, made sure the road was clear, pressed lift and a woman drove on to it, while it's lifting. She pressed stop and it lowered, the woman waved and drove over as if nothing had happened. Frightened my wife to death, beautiful canal, superb pubs. Alright which of you ordered that weather yesterday morning
Currently cruising through Kinver
Loving your posts and pictures
Bob

Well the expedition is coming to an end. We have just sailed the mighty River Severn and are now heading back to Worcester marina. 59 miles, 115 locks. We must be mad. Enjoy the bank holiday all
Bob

The Worcs and Birmingham Canal meets the mighty River Severn...

https://www.ipernity.com/doc/2254674/46629408

Show me the way to go home...

https://www.ipernity.com/doc/2254674/46629392
Those are the heaviest lock gates on the whole system, because they are double gates. It was only when we closed the second set that we were told that for a narrow boat you only need to open one. Took Saturday to go and see my parents new headstone at Yoxall and drove home in the heat on Sunday. A week before I had the heater on in the car as we drove up, going back it was short sleeves and aircon. I will get the four year old to put the pictures from Brindley canalside on tomorrow.
Bob

Last edited:
As promised the boat at rest in Brindley Place.

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_20180430_174548485_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180430_174548485_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20180430_174542750 (3).jpg
    IMG_20180430_174542750 (3).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
Not too difficult but it is rather obscure. I worked from the Midland Railways Goods Depot in Holliday Street. The old Basin in Paradise Street/Suffolk Street is actually more obvious

Building Britain's Canals was on Channel 5 last night. Grand Union Canal from Birmingham to London. Although it started at Gas Street Basin!

The lock is a Listed Building Grade II*

“Circa 1794-1802. Brick lined stone dressed stop lock with cast iron guillotine
gate framework. Winched counterweight chain mechanism to guillotine gate which
runs in slightly raked cast iron girder frame, the chain passing through a block
on the gate and up over 2 wheels carried on one side out and down to winch and on
the other out over a wheel supported by an elegant cast iron column before sinking
with counterweight into post.”
https://www.britishlistedbuildings....rmingham-canal-kings-norton-ward#.WulqhIoo-hA

guillotine lock gate at lifford lane.png
A slightly different angle from the previous picture but the same location.

Since a restoration in 2012 the guillotine lock at Kings Norton is now a scheduled ancient monument - it has the same protection now as Stonehenge.
Guillotine locks are not common on Britains waterways and most are on rivers.

Someone did that to me 40 years ago on the Leeds & Liverpool. We went to sleep floating, but woke up surrounded by mud. It was a year when there was a bit of a shortage of water in the area at that time as well. dont't think they found out who it was did it

Kings Norton Swing Bridge, or lack of it from the Stratford-on-Avon Canal. What happened to it?

No way to cross now without a boat.

Think it is near Tunnel Lane.

Also saw the Brandwood Tunnel portals last Saturday afternoon. Not signposted when you leave the canal in Brandwood End.

East Portal of the Brandwood Tunnel.

Steps if you don't want to leg it in the tunnel!

Eventually found the other side.

West Portal of the Brandwood Tunnel with a Shakespeare portrait.

While the Kings Norton Guillotine Lock was restored in 2012, it's covered in graffiti again!

Even the signs are tagged!

I don't now what happened to the swing bridge, its was there chained up untill a couple of years ago.

Maurice.
The canal people have enough trouble with supermarket trolleys. Don't give them bodies and all the accompanying paperwork as well

Some nice photographs there, Ell

Thanks. I hope that they put up some signs in Brandwood End so you know which way to go when getting off either end of the canal on foot. It's not signposted, had to check Google Maps to head the right way!

Mike,

Probably the same perpetrators are responsible for the trolleys - if they can't go to Hell in a handcart, perhaps someone will take them in a supermarket trolley! (I'm not volunteering - yet.....)

Maurice :)

You say the guillotine lock has the same protection as Stonehenge.
What would they say if that was covered in graffiti.

Saw this former canal office building from the Grand Union Canal at Warwick Bar in Digbeth. Part of a set of Grade II listed buildings on Fazeley Street.

Dos't seem to be anything that is sacred anymore, no historical, artifact or item that wont be vanalised, anymore, there seems less and less understanding of our history and culture that wont be ridiculed and sneered at, or lambasted. Paul

Back