• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Weoley

1. W

The Stonehouse, Selly Oak/Bartley Green/Weoley Castle border.

Gone. Bulldozed. A pile of rubble being cleared away. A lovely big pre-war pub built when everything to the west of it was still farmland. My Grandfather's old local throughout the 1950s, and a local landmark in south west Brum. I was born about two hundred yards from it, and grew up about...
  2. W

Toyah Wilcox

She never had a Birmingham accent in the first place. She's middle class, from a well off family and went to a private school. I was a big fan of hers when I was a kid/teen, but the "overcoming prejudice in my journey up from the streets" routine was always fake. She played at being a punk...
  3. W

Garbett Street, Ladywood

My paternal Grandfathers family (surname Brown) lived her from the late 1880s until about 1960. At one point they lived in about three or four houses. My dad was born there in 1928 and grew up there, left in the fifties. My Grandfathers mother was a Dugmore, who I believe were all also local...
  4. W

Adrian Lester

Adrian Lester, star of Hustle, the RSC and the National Theatre. Comes from South Edgbaston, grew up in the flats opposite the Earl Grey pub, back of Belgrave Road Police Station. Started off acting at the Midland Arts Centre just down the road. There are quite a few other actors from Brum...
  5. W

Woodgate valley

The stream that runs by Senneleys Park is the Bourn Brook. It runs through the Valley, then past Senneleys and on eastwards to Selly Oak. I don't know what the brook would be that runs from Bartley Green to Halesowen, as that is downhill from the other side of the high ground at old Woodgate...
  6. W

Back to backs in Ladywood

My Dad was born in the back to backs of Garbett Street in Ladywood in 1928. My Grandfather's family, name of Brown, had lived in several houses in that street since the 1880s. My Great Grandmother Mary was a Dugmore. My Grandparents, Jack and Laura Brown, moved in several doors down from his...
  7. W

Cheslin - Balsall Heath/Highgate

Anybody descended from the Cheslins who lived in Balsall Heath and Highgate areas from the late 1800s through to after the war? Also Powell, from the same area, who one of the Cheslins married into.
  8. W

Birmingham Hippodrome

My dad was the Stage Manager of the Hippodrome in the 70s (He worked there from the 50s to about 1980). I inherited all his memorabillia (30 years worth!) when he died a few years ago.
  9. W

Quinton Danillo Essoldo etc etc etc!!

I moved to Quinton aged 4 in 1972. It was the Classic then, and I still call it that now. I never called it the Cannon, the Odeon, the ABC or the Reel. I will always call it the Classic, because your childhood influences always stick. It never looked right as an Odeon, in my opinion. Odeons...
  10. W

Selly Oak Bristol Road

I remember the Oak cinema very early 80s just before they tore it down. It was a pale imitation of its former self by then. Shame. I think it had been closed a while by then. I vaguely remember the last remnants of the Warley Odeon as well, when I was very small. That looks like it was an...
  11. W

Birmingham Youth Theatre

I thought I would resurrect this request as I have started looking at it again and I never did get anywhere last time.
  12. W

Ladywood clearance

My Grandparents lived in Garbett Street until about 1960. They were moved out when all that end of Ladywood was coming down.
  13. W

Bellis and Morcom

I grew up right alongside Bellis & Morcom's old sports ground and social club off Highfield Lane in Quinton, right at the back of Four Dwellings School, sandwiched between that and the Quinton Expressway. It was a big old white wooden building where we used to go to their children's Christmas...
  14. W

Birmingham Youth Theatre

Probably a long shot: This company ceased to exist in 1987. It was based at the MAC in Cannon Hill. Does anybody have any old cuttings, literature, info about the company? Were you in it? What memories or stories do you have? (btw, please don't direct me to the Wikipedia page, because it...
  15. W

Anyone remember Steptoes

Steptoes was it's name after it was called Romeo and Juliets. La Dolce Vita was the name before that. It was a somewhat seedy little dump, which is how the regulars appeared to like it. Steppers was basically the same crowd as R&J s. I got dragged along there a few times around the time of...
Back