• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by standerton

1. S

British Newspaper Archives Birmingham & WW1

Dave. I have only come in at the tail end of this thread, and now realise that he was below the voting age at the end of the war - thus he would not have been registered on the voting list. Sorry for this. MUST read the whole thread in future! However, I have In the past found this a useful...
  2. S

British Newspaper Archives Birmingham & WW1

Would he be in the absent voters lists for 1918/19?
  3. S

Friston St Ladywood 1930 Era

Mikejee. Records indicate that my grandfather moved to Friston Street from Spring Hill around 1850 - in which case this could have been to newbuild. He had originally come from Southam, Warwickshire initially working for a butcher on Spring Hill, opposite the Library, then taking over the...
  4. S

Friston Street.

Mike. Many thanks for your rapid reply. The map and your comments have completely altered my previous assumptions! The close proximity of their dwellings over some 30 years. explains why my Grandmother stated that they got the hand cart out to move house. Initially I imagined that they had...
  5. S

Friston Street.

Having 'lurked' on this marvellous forum for many years' I am now hoping that further assistance will be forthcoming. It appears that my great-grandfather and family lived for many years in Friston Street Ladywood. Successive census's suggest 1871 - At 3 Clifton Terrace. 1881 - at 38 Friston...
  6. S

Books: Brum and the brummies book by Carl Chinn

G'day Down-Under. I happened on your message last Sunday and was able to email my cousin living in Mundaring. He replied within a few minutes to say that his daughters property at Stoneville had been gutted and he was taking the grand-children to his son in Adelaide. This surely shows the...
Back