• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Friston St Ladywood 1930 Era

oldbrummy

proper brummie kid
Does any one have any idea as to when Friston S tLadywood was built. It was just one long st and on one side was made up of houses all joined togetherThe other side was terraces and a much better scheme
I llved in Friston st at age 6. I have seen some pics in Oldmacs Ladywood but would like to see some more. It would have been a big undertaking to have built a whole street
old brummie

There is a Friston Street on a map of 1890 - this is the earliest map I can find. However, it is not possible to tell from that when particular houses were built/

Janice

There are houses listed in Friston St in the 1855 Post Office directory, though not necessarily the same one's as those people remember today. the steet is not listed innthe 1849 directory, though thta does not mean there were no houses there.

Thanks Mikejee I am wondering now if any of the local Newspapers wouls have any pictures s all joined together of Friston st being built in their archives .. It would have been a fantastic achievement to have built a whole street with the houses all joined together Also comes to mind about the whole area ...What was it like ? Fields and Farms etc/

Mikejee. Records indicate that my grandfather moved to Friston Street from Spring Hill around 1850 - in which case this could have been to newbuild. He had originally come from Southam, Warwickshire initially working for a butcher on Spring Hill, opposite the Library, then taking over the business and taking up residence in Friston Street. I see that 'Oldbrummie, has similar interests.

My paternal Grandfather Wilfred Edward Ackrill was born 5th November 1904 and his parents Ernest and Mary Ann (nee Goode) are shown living at 2 Back 55 Friston Street, Ladywood. I guess it was a back to back.

Back