• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by pamhol

1. P

Browser Locked

My brouser has been locked...what does this mean???
  2. P

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

Happy days !!!!
  3. P

Handsworth

Hi alanfisher, my dad was still at BSS in 1960. I think he retired in about 1980. His name was Horace Manton, perhaps your wife remembers him...David Lloyd was his friend during the war, that is how he came to work there. I don't know anything about the history of the building. I just remember...
  4. P

Items that have faded away

I well remember the coalman. We had a coalhouse at the side of the house. It came under the stairs and my nan used to stand in the pantry next to it to count the bags being dropped....to make sure we were paying for what was delivered....
  5. P

I went to Springhill Ice Rink from about 1958 to 1964. Met my husband to be there. Absolutely loved the place, used to go 4 or 5 times a week. No pics though!!
  6. P

Snow Hill Station

I have lived outside of Birmingham for 44 years, but still use that expression. The past never leaves you!!
  7. P

Snow Hill Station

Wonderful pics! Brought back some wonderful memories. My nan lived in Brighton in the 60s and used to come to Snow Hill when when was visiting us. Remember the old trains. Lived in Handsworth as a child and used to catch the 70, 71 or 72 bus from outside the station to Handsworth........
  8. P

Handsworth

Hi alanfisher 202. I remember that church, but didn't know it burnt down. It is many years since I was in Union Row. I didn't think it was allowed to use hallowed ground for any other purpose than for graves. You are not too sensitive. But then, I suppose if all graveyards from centuries back...
  9. P

Handsworth

Hi Paul, you are right. Dad worked for British Steel Springs in Union Row, just off the Soho Road. He used to bring outwork home for mom. This could be any size of springs from very small to large. She would sit for hours at the jig and get paid pence for a gross. Hard work! I used to do the...
  10. P

Handsworth

alanfisher202 - you are right, my dad worked at British Steel Springs in Union Row. I couldn't remember the name of the street but you are right. I used to spend a lot of time there with him. It was a small firm owned by David Lloyd who had been a friend of my dad since the war. My dad worked...
  11. P

Weather : past adverse weather in Birmingham

My memory of 1946/47 are of my sister being born 28th November 1946. She was a tiny baby in my mother's arms, I was standing by. The ground was heavy with snow, the wind was howling and suddenly, the back fence blew down. I really frightened me at the time, I was three and a half. Mom said that...
  12. P

Looked up the pics. Wonderful. Memories of days when we were young and not afraid of anything. Loved watching the Mohawks.......
  13. P

Hi there, Watched the video of the Baron. Fantastic, not everyone has their own personal ice rink!!! Still got the balance too!!! Well done......I haven't seen the pics, will try to look them up. Wonderful things - memories....
  14. P

Hockley

So sad that the old buildings have been demolished. I expect they were removed for road widening etc., but it is good to look at the old photos so that we can see the streets where our grandparents and gt grandparents lived. My grandfather was born in Aston Manor, lived in Defford Road Aston...
  15. P

Hockley

Loved Nortons. I used to go every Saturday with my Nan. We would have lunch in the cafe upstairs before looking around. I remember the wonderful mashed potatoes and lovely toast with lots of butter....My Nan bought clothes for my sister and I from Nortons, usually matching. Loved the toy dept...
Back