• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth

Hi Carolina - what do you mean WERE a swinger? I will have you know I am still with it!!!!

My husband has just had a look at this and of course you are right, but we both think this is where the baths were built, on the site of that house. Looking to the left Brunswick Road, etc houses are not even built, so of course the baths would not have been. Hubby thinks I am right about the park, but it would not have been a park at that time, it was a private piece of land with a large house in it (I remember the park house). Conicidentally, I think the baths were built by John P Osborne, the architect, I worked for the JPO practice in 1966/67.

Hi Shortie and Carolina - Carolina your picture showing the Grove Lane baths is just how I remember them. We used to go once a week with school, and then also used to go on a Sunday morning when we were older. We would come out of the baths cross over and walk to the park, but you know I can't remember where the entrance was. Like you Shortie, I can remember many a romance beginning on the Park swings from experience!! Just found this which might be of interest:
https://www.bhamb14.co.uk/index_files/GROVELANEBATHS.htm

We would walk from home regularly to Holly Road and use that entrance, and also go into the Hollygate Cafe for a pop!

Judy

Last edited:
Here are a couple of repost and new photos.

handsworth_park_1910.jpg

Handsworth2520Park_.jpg
Handsworth2520Park2520G_.jpg

Handsworth2520Park2520D_.jpg

A_few_photos_of_Hamstead_Rd_Handsworth_through_the_years_from_the_1930_s_to_the_1970_s3~0.jpg

Regards Stars

Shorty indeed we knew Mrs Ankle her shop was opposite our house,I also remember your Moms shop on the corner of Dawson and Linwood opposite Wheelers wood yard, with Dr Jones on the opposite side of Linwood Road to your Moms,I can also remember the Fire Service taking a Gas test on the high wall (which I think would be at the bottom of your garden the test would have been opposite Johnsons builders yard) during the war for us to check our Gas Masks.
Cannot be sure but during the war I think your Moms shop was a private house.
I remember a lad who lived at the top of Linwood road, John Withers almost sure that was his name.

Yes thast's right Alan. Oh I remember Dr Jones too. I am not absolutely sure but I think that 10 Linwood Road was built as a shop, but I can imagine it as a house, although the rooms would have been a very peculiar shape. It would have been rather large, too. I don't remember any houses on the other side of the road clearly - there was a hairdressers which I think was in a detached house, and then there was a terrace at right angles to the road - that's all I can remember. The name John Withers does not ring a bell with me. I remember Steve Eagle and David Sparrow, a girl from Chantrey Road, a lovely girl, called Jenny I think who married a chap called Roy, and that's about it. I was not there for long, and I met my husband in 1963 so that was me out of the running, so to speak. Although Handsworth was a bit of a shock after living in South Yardley, I have to say my four years there were interesting, and looking back, it has provided some good memories.

The hair dressers where run by the daughters of the builders Mr Johnson in detached house same side and next to the wood yard,there was 2 single terrace's and a double terrace on the right hand side going down Dawson Road.
I will ask my wife if she knows the two lads you mention and the girl called Jenny,my wife lived in Woodstock road so she may well remember her.
If you had a shock when you first saw Handsworth, you should see it now,such a lot of history we should be proud off.
Alan

I do go back there Alan, from time to time, but not particularly up Soho Road. My husband lived in Hutton Road until he was 5 (1952) then they moved to Handsworth Wood, which was a different kettle of fish altogether. That house was only sold about two weeks ago, as my mother in law is now in a home near us in Tamworth. I go to Handsworth Cemetery occasionally, but I do need to go to Victoria Road and one or two other addresses just for family history purposes, so I shall have to schedule that in in the New Year.

I used to (virtually) live in Handsworth Park! Went to St Mary's junior and infant school in Church Hill Road (before it moved to Hutton Road and now Hamstead Road) and my mom worked in the cafe in Handsworth Park, a beautiful building shown in #62, behind the fountain. Mom's second husband worked in the glasshouses in the park and did the floral clock at Hamstead Road entrance every year.

In the 60s my friends and i used to look forward to going to The Scout show at the Park. Our neighbour whos son was a scoutleader of some sort always used to give us free tickets, it was such a fun day out.

Charlie,even as a child I can remember how nice the flowers were in Hansworth Park and what a nice cafe too,I did smile to my self when I visited after the referb,it was billed as being up to its furmer glory, Don't think so,where were all the flower beds,edges,tennis courts,bowling greens and that wonderful cafe.

alanfisher202 - you are right, my dad worked at British Steel Springs in Union Row. I couldn't remember the name of the street but you are right. I used to spend a lot of time there with him. It was a small firm owned by David Lloyd who had been a friend of my dad since the war. My dad worked there as a jig maker for many years until he retired in 1960. He used to take boxes of springs of all sizes around to various companies and I used to go with him. Happy memories of Handsworth and childhood days.

Hi Pam, I remember visiting 12a Vicarge Road and sitting in the kitchen with your mom and nanny with a little jig fixed to the side of a table and making little springs and putting them in a large box, am I right in this, it would have been around the early/mid, 50's, hope you are all well up there , regards from your cousin paul,

Pamhol I used to attend Union Row Church as a lad, lovely old church, what amazed me after the fire when they built a new mosque the grave yard was made into a car park with graves still there,just covered in Tarmac,perhaps I am being too sensative.

Hi Paul, you are right. Dad worked for British Steel Springs in Union Row, just off the Soho Road. He used to bring outwork home for mom. This could be any size of springs from very small to large. She would sit for hours at the jig and get paid pence for a gross. Hard work! I used to do the same when we moved into our bungalow in late 60s and early 70s. Those were the days....

Hi alanfisher 202. I remember that church, but didn't know it burnt down. It is many years since I was in Union Row. I didn't think it was allowed to use hallowed ground for any other purpose than for graves. You are not too sensitive. But then, I suppose if all graveyards from centuries back were not allowed to be built upon, there wouldn't be much ground left!!! Think I will keep my memories as they are, back in the 50s......................

Lending a hand here with re-posting. Hope that's OK. I think these might be some of the photos which Charlie originally posted at the start of this thread. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331026960.412997.jpg Church Lane Cottages Handsworth. Although this is marked as Handsworth, are these the cottages in Perry Barr, near St. John's Church? See Charlie's post #1 of this thread for info.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331026978.892755.jpg Handsworth College

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331026996.677759.jpg Handsworth Bus 1900
See Charlie's post #3 of this thread for info.

And I think this is a new one...... Flooding in Handsworth looks about 1900s. The water must have been about 3 ft high on the far side of the road! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331027303.345680.jpg

Glad to be of help Charlie. Thankfully all the text survived, a lot of info in those posts. Think I might have one of the Pound somewhere too, but not sure. Will post it if I can track down that one or any of the others. Viv.

Thanks Rupert. Never heard of The Moors before. Looking at the map I realise I've now confused everyone. The Handsworth road shown in the cottages picture is of Church Lane. The road I was thinking of that skirts Perry Park is Church Road, not Lane! Silly me. Agree it looks that it once was a very picturesque place to live. Handsworth was a well to do area during the Victorian period and I think Handsworth Wood was a the wealthy part of the area. Viv.

Found the Pound! on Hamstead Road. And two more views of Church Lane. Viv

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331048330.719827.jpg See Charlie's post #2 of this thread for info.

And Church Lane, Handsworth

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331048392.193112.jpg Church Lane 1915

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331048423.137265.jpg Church Lane 1905

Hello Shortie

I see that your husband lived in Hutton road at 151 does he remember the Cotons at 153 i still see Terry. I lived at 103 from 1939 till 1963. my brother still lives there.

Pamhol,my wife reminded me she used to work at British Steel Springs in the office about 1960,did you know the building was built on what was a path way to the Church (Union Row)

Hi alanfisher, my dad was still at BSS in 1960. I think he retired in about 1980. His name was Horace Manton, perhaps your wife remembers him...David Lloyd was his friend during the war, that is how he came to work there. I don't know anything about the history of the building. I just remember going there often with my dad. He used to go round delivering outwork to women in the area and I used to go with him, that would be in the 50s. He would bring springs home for my mom to work on. We grew up watching mom sitting at a jig in the living room, for many years. My dad died in 1997, mom is 91 years old now.....

I have read , that Queen Victoria came to Handsworth Park in her Dimond Jubilee Year ( 1897 ) and a bell was presented for the boating lake is this true ?????

I just herd that the bell was used on the boating lake to call an end of the days boating ?????

Regards Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Back