• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Nodrogw

1. N

Old street pics..

My great grandfather was the licensee in the late 1870s
  2. N

St Mark's Ladywood Lookups

Hi. I have just gone through this thread again. The St. Marks Church to which you refer is I believe in Ladywood. If you Google St. Marks Church Ladywood, there are some images of the church and the surrounding area.
  3. N

Lawson Elsie Frances

I am having a great deal of difficulty trying to ascertain when Elsie Frances Lawson died. She was born in 1885 to Sarah Ann and Ernest Worsey. She married George A Lawson in 1915. From the electoral registers, I have discovered that Ernest Worsey was living at 5 Thimble Mill Lane in Aston...
  4. N

The Vine, Blews Street West

Further to the above, I have now come across an extract from the London Commercial Gazette of 3rd September 1890, which shows that Ernest Worsey of The Vine Inn, Blews street West, Springhill, Birmingham, declared himself bankrupt on 31st July 1890 with debts of £10 17s 0d. The 1891 census shows...
  5. N

St Mark's Ladywood Lookups

Hi I have grandparents who were married at St. Mark's church in the parish of St. Mark, Birmingham on August 3rd 1902. At the time of their marriage, they lived at number 6 Monument Road. Presumably this is the same church as mentioned in previous replies, but does anyone know exactly where it...
  6. N

Worsey Joseph

Thanks for this. I will arrange to get a death certificate for Joseph to verify if I have the right one. There is a variation between dates of his birth so it could quite possibly be him.
  7. N

Worsey Joseph

Thanks for your replies. I have now learnt from another member of the Worsey family that Joseph was indeed one of ernest's younger brothers. I have a copy of the marriage certificate for him and Eliza, and after their marriage they had four children, Beatrice, born in 1888, Edith born 1892...
  8. N

Worsey Joseph

Thanks for this. Robert French was my great grandfather and Sarah Ann Taylor my great grandmother. On the marriage certificate for Eliza Herodias, her name is given as French and her father's name as Robert French, but this is not born out by her birth certificate. Sarah Ann Taylor/French...
  9. N

Worsey Joseph

Joseph Worsey married my great aunt Eliza Herodias French in 1887. Eliza's mother was Sarah Ann Worsey, previously French, maiden name Taylor. Although her husband, Ernest Worsey, had a brother, Joseph, it seems unlikely that Eliza would marry her mother's brother in law. The Worsey family were...
  10. N

Bishop Ryder Lookups

Rather than start a new thread, can anyone tell me the location of Bishop Ryder Church
  11. N

The Vine, Blews Street West

From other threads concerning Blews Street west, I gather that The Vine was at number 1 Blews Street West. Does anyone know if any images of the area are available in the late 1890's are available anywhere. Also does anyone have any idea which brewery owned The Vine. If it was Atkinsons then...
  12. N

The Golden Cup, 26 Willenhall Street, Darlaston

I know that this is not strictly Birmingham, but wondered if anyone could give me any information about this pub, and whether there are any photographs of it in existence.
  13. N

Marriage (Legal or Illegal)

Can anyone tell me if it was legal in 1899 for a man to marry his late brother's widow.
  14. N

Handsworth, Staffordshire

I have recently acquired the 1911 census form for James and Lilian Bowker, who lived at 4 Weston Avenue, Handsworth. I was born and bred in Handsworth, and I do not know where this was, however, I believe that it could be in what is now known as Smethwich. Can anyone enlighten me as to where...
  15. N

Weston Avenue, Handsworth, Staffordshire.

The 1911 Census shows that at 4, Weston Avenue, Handsworth, staffordshire, James Bowker and Lillian Bowker lived. Lilian Bowker was Lilian Loveridge before her marriage and she was born on Black Patch Park, Handsworth/Smethwick around 1892. The 1901 Census shows that she and her parents, and...
Back