• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Vine, Blews Street West

Nodrogw

knowlegable brummie
From other threads concerning Blews Street west, I gather that The Vine was at number 1 Blews Street West. Does anyone know if any images of the area are available in the late 1890's are available anywhere. Also does anyone have any idea which brewery owned The Vine. If it was Atkinsons then they were taken over by M & B. Would the M & B Archive have any information concerning the pub. I ask because my great grandfather was probably the last licensee before the pub closed

Further to the above, I have now come across an extract from the London Commercial Gazette of 3rd September 1890, which shows that Ernest Worsey of The Vine Inn, Blews street West, Springhill, Birmingham, declared himself bankrupt on 31st July 1890 with debts of £10 17s 0d. The 1891 census shows that he is a licensed victualler, publican in Blews street West. Is it not strange that he carried on at The Vine nearly a year after declaring himself bankrupt. Has anyone any idea when the pub closed, and who the licensee was at the time of closure

It must have been a sad time , as on 25th December 1890, there was an inquest on their daughter Annie (1 year) reported in the paper

25_12_1890_inquest_daughter_vine_2C_blews_st_west.jpg

Back