• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by MWS

1. MWS

CLOTHES AND SHOES OF YESTERYEAR

Farah trousers were all the rage when I was at senior school. Can still remember getting my first pair of named trainers, a pair of dark blue suede diadora from Harry Parkes. Early 80s, I must have been 11 or 12. Loved them.
  2. MWS

Kirby family (between 1891 and 1911)

With only the name to go on, it would be very difficult to be certain of any info. There are a number of John Kirbys registered in Bham in 1920s & 1930s and that's assuming he was born locally and was a similar age to his wife. If I have the right people then Beryl is easier to track. Born...
  3. MWS

Mewis, Sarah 1835 - 1905

The Harriet Mewis that married William Hollier appears to be the daughter of a William Mewis (not Joseph) and a Charlotte Whittall. As Les says the Harriet Mewis daughter of Joseph marries Thomas Summerton.
  4. MWS

Introducing myself

1957 electoral roll lists your mom, Annie Jensen and Raymond & Wendy Raby in flats at 95 Anderton Park Road. There is a Clarice Evans listed there in 1960 & 1962.
  5. MWS

Lichfield Rd Tavern/ Aston Rd Tavern/ Manor Tavern

The findmypast transcript lists him on Lichfield Road. What address does it give for the people either side of him or is it just road/roads at the top and then ditto? The map of 1886 shows that The Swan Pool Tavern was on the corner of Lichfield Road and Holborn Hill. Thimble Mill Lane joining...
  6. MWS

Ernest Priddey Deceased 31st May 2020

I would have put good money on there having been no one named Dorcas for at least 70 years, which I would have lost. At least 20 in the 1980s.
  7. MWS

Paradise development 2020

With all these people working from home will the councils soon be charging them business rates?
  8. MWS

See Birmingham by Post Card

So Saltley High Street with Alum Rock Road is behind the photographer?
  9. MWS

See Birmingham by Post Card

It looks a bit more like Washwood Heath Road from the bottom of Alum Rock Road (to the right) maybe?
  10. MWS

Is a parish/church a good guide in selecting ancestor?

If you're talking about Jane Davies b1818 then her father wasn't Samuel. According to her marriage to Thomas Dutton it was William. You've said that yourself in post #5.
  11. MWS

Ernest Priddey Deceased 31st May 2020

Hopefully the original poster (who knew Ernie) might be able to supply some more info about him.
  12. MWS

I think the 1851 age is a little suspect. 1841 gives his age as 25 - 29 and there's a possible baptism 24 Oct 1814 St Phillips. Which is a couple of years after the marriage of a John Lloyd to a Mary Matthews.
  13. MWS

In the Garden 2020

Planted a potato earlier in the year and dug the resulting potatoes up yesterday. Pleased with the number and they tasted ok. Hopeful for the tomato seeds not so sure about the pepper seeds
  14. MWS

Ideally you need an extended family member living with your relative or vice versa to give you a clue. William Henry Davis married Elizabeth Richards in Shifnal 1826 so you can probably rule them out but again shows that people did travel around a bit even then.
  15. MWS

More Concrete Does Birmingham Need It ?

Agree, lift reliability would be a problem to overcome.