• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by KathyP

1. K

Marsh & Baxters, Castle Bromwich

My husband used to work at Marsh & Baxters in the early 60's in the accounts office and he remembers going to the Tyburn House at the end of the day with the van drivers who were a great bunch who would give him the ocasional pork pie. One day he came off his scooter on the way to work and got...
  2. K

Scout Jamboree Sutton park

All I can remember of the Jamboree is going to find the son of friends of my Mom who was over with the Belgian scouts. He was frozen and all his clothes were soaking wet so we took him home, gave him a hot meal and dried all his stuff off ~ I reckon the weather was pretty grim
  3. K

The Cabin, Coventry Rd, Sheldon

Hi Lindyloo, yes number 2090 Coventry Road was The Cabin and my Uncle was Arthur Harper who was the best uncle you could ever have. Interesting that they were living there in 1940 and obviously during the rest of the war because I seem to remember being told my Dad stayed with them when he was...
  4. K

Thanks everyone. Its a bit like reaching for something at the back of your mind that you cant quite reach. My cousin still lives in the house they moved to after leaving The Cabin. Maybe there are photos in a box up in the loft. Wouldnt that be great!
  5. K

Hi Lindyloo, hope you got my message about your post ~ it is very useful and I am going to have a look at that website. I've just had a look on Ancestry at the phone directories and my aunt and uncle are listed at 2090 Coventry Rd until 1955 then the 1956 directory shows them at their next...
  6. K

Annie Murray

I've, recently read a few books by this writer and wondered if, given the enormous amount of knowledge that forum members have about Birmingham and its history, whether anyone had helped her with research?
  7. K

Farndon

My friends Mum and Dad were Thomas and Mary Farndon and they ran the Imperial sweetshop at Yew Tree Yardley in the early 1960's. They had 2 daughters. Not sure if they fit in with your Farndons?
  8. K

Elmdon Airport

Same here Jan, I have happy memories of riding my trike from the 58 bus terminus (we lived in Sheldonfield Road) down to Elmdon airport to watch the planes coming and going. Just loved it. Recently I took my grandson aged 4 to see the planes coming and going from Birmingham airport and guess...
  9. K

RAF stationed egypt WW11

I recently applied for my Dad's army record and got a letter back asking if I would prefer my money back as due to a high number of requests it could take up to a year. Have other members had the same thing? Hope the RAF records will arrive a bit quicker for you! Kathy
  10. K

Bill Bryson At Home

I've read a couple of his books and I agree that he has a very 'easy to read' writing style. Think I will look out for this book to take a way for a good holiday read.
  11. K

Sweet shop Stratford Road Sparkbrook

Do you know, I am not sure, quite possibly. I remember my uncle had a lad who helped in the shop (Ted) who was a terrible torment. I remember him telling me that chickens swallowed grit to help grind up their food and then he cut a chickens stomach open to show me. Ugh, gruesome. And he used to...
  12. K

Sweet shop Stratford Road Sparkbrook

Wonder if this is the shop by my uncles butchers shop. (Harpers) I used to walk up from Sparkhill Baths and my uncle would give me some money to go and get a candy floss which they made while you waited.
  13. K

Did army enlistment take place in Bishopsgate St. B'ham in Dec 1941?

H i again Nick, Thanks for your offer of help. I have my Dad's Soldier's Service and Pay Book which shows he joined the regular army in Birmingham on 13.Jan 1932. Interestingly I noticed that he says he is a year older than he was and I am guessing he needed to be 18 but was actually 17. From...
  14. K

Hi Nick As far as I can remember they lived in a bungalow which was directly opposite the picture house and I seem to remember there being highish hedges round it which made the garden seem dark. I am planning a trip to Sheldon Library at some point to do a bit of research on St Bernards...
  15. K

Did army enlistment take place in Bishopsgate St. B'ham in Dec 1941?

I can understand the journey you are on Nick. Even the smallest scrap of information is important in putting together the jig saw puzzle that family researching is and it is how you get to understand the person you are looking at. I am struggling with finding how my Dad as a Birmingham man was...
Back