• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cambridge Street car park

The photo was taken in 1970, but like everyone else I'm stumped on it's location. It looks so familiar, my first thought had been of the car park that was once on the left under James Watt Queensway, but I don't really know why.:confused:

Looking online I’ve discovered the photographer was a chap called Peter Baistow. Still searching for more info.

The car Park is the one that was on Cambridge Street behind Baskerville House. Its looking at the multi-story blocks Galton, Norton, Crescent and Cambridge Tower.

The car park was a bit unusual, it was steel construction with all the layers sloping up at one end.

i thought the flapper (called the longboat in my day) had been closed down ?

lyn
Thankfully not. There was talk a few years ago it was going to get knocked down and turned into flats but thanks to an online petition and a little help from Birmingham city council it was saved. How long it will last though who knows? But it’s always busy when I go so business appears good (at least at weekends).

oh thats great news pete..i did not know that...i will update the longboat thread...in case you have not seen it click on link below

lyn

oh thats great news pete..i did not know that...i will update the longboat thread...in case you have not seen it click on link below

lyn

No I’ve not seen that. I’ll have a read. Thanks

Agreed,I have always been impressed by the wealth of knowledge and speed of response to queries on this site. Well done all.

Nodd KD
Yes indeed, there are some super sleuths on this site, who seek to resolve member's queries by using their extensive local knowledge and by knowing where to seek the appropriate resource information. I much appreciate the expertise and experience of the team as a whole, as a comparative new boy (it's nice to think of myself as a boy again, if only, for a minute ;) ).

The car Park is the one that was on Cambridge Street behind Baskerville House. Its looking at the multi-story blocks Galton, Norton, Crescent and Cambridge Tower.

The car park was a bit unusual, it was steel construction with all the layers sloping up at one end.
The multistorey carpark was built on the site of the Cambridge Inn pub, which my parents ran in the early 1960's before it was demolished.

Back