• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Longboat, Cambrian Wharf

Barr_Beacon

The Prodigal Brummie
Just read that they are planning to demolish The Longboat in Cambrian Wharf. I must admt that when I visited it last year it felt a little bit run down, but I always remember the summers I spent there, especially the long hot summer of 1976. Lump in the throat time!

List of pubs that have gone that I still remember...

Bogarts
The Windsor (the REAL one)
The Parisian
Cagney's
The Costermonger
The Pen and Wig
The White Swan (Edmund St)
The Church Inn / Cathedral Tavern
The Bier Keller (Needless Alley)
St. Paul's Tavern (Ludgate Hill)
The Golden Eagle (Hill St.)
The Parasol (Hill St.)
The Crown (Broad St.)
The Australian Bar (Hurst St.)
The White Lion (Bristol St.) (I loved Davenport's Continental Lager!)
The pub above the Bodega , opposite St. Chad's Cathedral
The Philibuster (! desperately tryning to relaim those dead brain cells!)
The Three Horse Shoes (Pershore Rd)
The Red Lion (Vicarage Rd.) (Still much the same, not many left!))
The Nelson (Top of Temple St. near the cathedral)
The Royal Mail (New St.)
Tavern in the Town (New St.)
The Old Contemptibles
The Horse Trader (Horsefair)
The Greyhound (Cider house, Bath Row)
The Glue Pot / Sam Weller's (John Bright St.)

Sorry for using up valuable space but I felt I had to try to remember while I still could!

hi barr beacon. ha the longboat.i remember it well. used to go there bout 70/72. we had some good times there. i must go and take some pics before yet another of our pubs sinks without trace. excuse the pun. i also went to the bier keller. i walked down needless alley last week from the top end. can you confirm that it was on the right going down towards new st. also had good times in the fili and the costamonger. thats still there. wales.

Barr Beacon

A lot of the pubs you name are still open today, although heavily disguised and may often masquerade under different names. Sadly though as you observe a lot of them have gone, and it looks like it is a ongoing trend.

Phil

One of my cousins ran a Rhythm & Blues Club at The Golden Eagle, when Spencer Davis and Steve Winwood played there.
I remember sunny days late 60's early 70's at The Longboat. Did the sun shine more then?

Ann

hi ann. im sure the sun shone more in those days. we were both going there at the same time. late 60s early 70s. may have sat next to each other even. one song that always takes me back to the longboat when i hear it is cher singing gipsies tramps and theives. it was always being played. wales.

Hi Lyn,

I worked on Broad Street late 60' early 70's, so The Longboat was a great place for sunny lunch hours. Bet we sat next to each other somewhere. Or perhaps we met in the ladies, putting our lippie on! I guess lots of us on the forum have been at the same place same time, somewhere in the past.
Procul Harum's '67 hit 'A Whiter Shade of Pale' always takes me back to long sunny days. We had a girls holiday in Torquay that summer and that song was played at all the clubs and pubs. When it comes on the radio, I get goose bumps.
And The Beach Boys 'God Only Knows'.

Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
ann. ive noted those two songs down. if ive got them or if not i can find them will play them for you as requests on the 60s night. wicked songs. lyn ps if keith can have his man in a suitcase theme you shall have yours. lol

My friend almost lived in the Trocadera on Temple Street in the 60's she worked for Raymond, Mr Teasy Weasy so they went after work. I thought it would have been closed but I just Googled it and see it is still open.:) Mo

hi sakura. yes the troc is still going strong. think ive got a book somewhere saying that its haunted. i will look it out. wales.

Hi Wales
The Bier Keller was on the right hand side of Needless Alley as you walked down to New Street. There was also a Bier Keller under Bogarts in New Street.

A couple of pubs I forgot to mention were The Gilded Cage and The Iron Horse opposite (Stephenson Place?). I can't say I was impressed by either as I recall!

I'm not sure whether this is going off topic but did anyone mentioned the bombs placed by the IRA in two central Birmingham pubs?
The Mulberry Bush,
at the foot of the Rotunda, and the Tavern in the Town, a basement pub on New Street. That day we were in that area doing Christmas shopping as it was November 1974 but had left before the bombs went off in the evening. It was a while before we went shopping in the city again, we went to Worcester to shop for a while after that. :( Mo

Mo,

I'd just caught a taxi from New Street Station. We got to Digbeth, and it came over the radio and they were calling for all taxis to return. So I only just missed it. But I was up Brum the very next night (it was really quiet), and many more nights afterwards.

Ann

Ann - The ironic part was that most of those killed and injured especially in what we called the Hole in the Wall were young Irish people.:(Mo

I know Mo. That didn't matter to those that planted them. They were sad days and months for Birmingham. And sad for years, I guess, for those directly affected.

Ann

Sakura, I agree with your sentiments but how was The Hole In the Wall connected to the atrocity? That was in Dale End, and as far as I remember it was never bombed.

Last edited:
My mistake, I thought it was involved. Although looking at the report i doesn't show. I was sure I remember three bombs going off simultaneously although only two are in the article and I was sure that was one of them. I had friends who went there. Maybe someone who frequented the Hole in the Wall will comment on this. :) Mo

Back