• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yardley Secondary School Grammar School

I attended YGS 1960-67 - fond memories. The 1965 under 15 rugby team was superb (too good for me to get a regular game) but many of them left after the 5th form. Really good staff - Eric Prewit became sports master after Basher Brooks.
I don't remember Dave Pegg but have have seen him performing in Fairport Convention many times
Is this Alan Morris I’m talking to, myself Dave Vedmore, Steve Drew, Don Westbrook and Jon Poole meet up regularly for a drink. Also met up with Pete Haran over from Australia last summer. Regards Malcolm Fryer.

Yes Malcolm (Nub ?) Names from the past - Dave Vedmore, top athlete and centre/wing, Steve Drew, Don Westbrook, prop and Saturday night chauffeur in his dads Rover 3 litre, Jon Poole, No 8. Often wonder where everybody is now. Any news on Michael Geinhart ( I'm not sure of spelling)
Cheers Alan Morris

Yes Malcolm (Nub ?) Names from the past - Dave Vedmore, top athlete and centre/wing, Steve Drew, Don Westbrook, prop and Saturday night chauffeur in his dads Rover 3 litre, Jon Poole, No 8. Often wonder where everybody is now. Any news on Michael Geinhart ( I'm not sure of spelling)
Cheers Alan Morris
Good to hear from you Alan, where are you living now. I am also in touch with Moss Barnes, Des Dugmore. Met up with Nigel Jackson in France about 5 years ago. But he died with cancer 6 months after. No contact with Geernardt , Fellows or others. are you on Facebook or email.

Mal F - I live in Kenilworth - I take it that Moss Barnes is Maurice Barnes, if so I think I was at Severn Road junior school as well as YGS with Moss Barnes and Stephen Drew.
I went to Wellesbourne airfield with school trip where I lost a 10 shilling note - M Barnes suggested that everybody gave me a shilling to make up for it - there were more than 10 others so I ended up in profit.
Cheers Alan M

Last edited:
Good evening Alan M

Welcome to Birmingham History Forum. Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud, and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

I was at Yardley Grammar School during this period (Tranter) and met my wife Margaret , nee Chappell there.
We have been married for over 50 years. Are there any Old Yardlians out there that remember us.?
I remember Margaret Chappell well, she was amazing at athletics especially running but she would run with her cardigan on which reduced her speed...however she still won!! Linda Glendall

i was there from 1959 - 1964 in Este.
I lived a few doors up from the school in Redding’s Lane
my maiden name was Margaret Chappell.
Many memories from those days, and met my husband there during that time. Teachers of the day, Brian Smith, Sam Saunders, Geoff Brown , a lovely french master, whose name I can’t recall. Miss Goodall. Do you remember these people.?
c
The french teacher was Bartholomew Frederick Hobby.

Fudge!
Ron James here. I remember your Isetta catching fire when we shorted out the battery with 3 of us in the front seat (the other guy was John Campton). We had to drive it onto the sports field (the back way) and put the fire our with sand from the long jump pit. Happy Days.
Hi Ron, I remember and the fun we all had a school camp, midnight walks etc. I must find the pictures and post them. Do you remember we all when out together roller skating in Walford Road, or meeting up with Michael Newman to go to the Sheldon cinema to watch the latest Beatle film. I was usually with Winnie Slatford. Happy times Linda Glendall

Is this the Michael Newman, associate of people like Digby Singleton, who attended Lyndon Green Junior School?

I remember Margaret Chappell well, she was amazing at athletics especially running but she would run with her cardigan on which reduced her speed...however she still won!! Linda Glendall
Linda, I had a surprise visit from Cecil Knight 2 years ago.He bought details of trip to Austria, in 1965 which you were on. I also have a few photos, which I could send to you if interested. Are you on Facebook or email. Regards Malcolm Fryer

Hello, I remember the ''WAJ'', his long reign came to end during my time at Yardley. I was there 1968-1973 (approx!) There were many long serving members of staff, ''GUV'' Young, and "Sam'', Mr Saunders, two that spring to mind. I had Latin with Mr Young in the first form, and he did games too. Mr Saunders was a Maths Master, a real old fashioned teacher, I look back now with a bit of regret that I preferred to play the classroom joker, than knuckle down to hard work, but to be fair, I passed all my subjects and had a successful working life after Yardley, so they ( the teaching staff) managed to equip me with the strengths and skills that enabled me to be able to be proud of what I've done, and of where I am today.Thanks YGS
I was a pupil at Yardley Grammar School 1954 to 1959. Probably one of the most disruptive pupils in my year, I never got on with the French master of the time - Mr Baden Hobby. I don't think he had a nickname at the time, but others I remember were the maths masters 'Sammy' Saunders and 'Stinker' Stokes; chemistry master 'Gertie' Gilbraith ( a common cry heard before a period of double chemistry was 'Oh my, Gertie again!' - after a popular detergent advert on ITV at the time); geography teacher and head mistress 'Doc Tom' - Dr Tomlinson; Latin master Mr Young - 'Guv' Young or 'the Gov'ner'; and history master 'Billy' Williamson and of course headmaster Mr Jenkins - 'the Beak'. There were others which have faded from an ageing memory.

Despite all the gloomy predictions about my future I left Yardley after 'O' Levels (I managed 4) and went on to an Engineering Apprenticeship with the CEGB at Nechells Power Station, qualifying as a Graduate of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and eventually becoming a Chartered Engineer. With a career change subsequent to a protracted illness, I gained a BA(Hons) in Ancient History & Archaeology at the University of Birmingham. So, something of the YGS ethos must have rubbed off on me!

I wonder if any of the other apprentices at Nechells Power Station between 1959 and 1965 are out there? It would be interesting to know how their lives progressed.

datadave

I was a pupil at Yardley Grammar School 1954 to 1959. Probably one of the most disruptive pupils in my year, I never got on with the French master of the time - Mr Baden Hobby. I don't think he had a nickname at the time, but others I remember were the maths masters 'Sammy' Saunders and 'Stinker' Stokes; chemistry master 'Gertie' Gilbraith ( a common cry heard before a period of double chemistry was 'Oh my, Gertie again!' - after a popular detergent advert on ITV at the time); geography teacher and head mistress 'Doc Tom' - Dr Tomlinson; Latin master Mr Young - 'Guv' Young or 'the Gov'ner'; and history master 'Billy' Williamson and of course headmaster Mr Jenkins - 'the Beak'. There were others which have faded from an ageing memory.

Despite all the gloomy predictions about my future I left Yardley after 'O' Levels (I managed 4) and went on to an Engineering Apprenticeship with the CEGB at Nechells Power Station, qualifying as a Graduate of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and eventually becoming a Chartered Engineer. With a career change subsequent to a protracted illness, I gained a BA(Hons) in Ancient History & Archaeology at the University of Birmingham. So, something of the YGS ethos must have rubbed off on me!

I wonder if any of the other apprentices at Nechells Power Station between 1959 and 1965 are out there? It would be interesting to know how their lives progressed.

datadave
Just found this photo of class at Yardley. Thought it might be of interest.

Attachments

• IMG_0479.jpeg
    IMG_0479.jpeg
    977.5 KB · Views: 33
Hi I was a pupil only for a short time at YGS 1960 1963 but remember the people you name. My best friend Hazel Roach went out with Dave Vedmore. I also remember Maurice Barnes playing the fool in a Latin class and making me laugh and I got sent out of the room by Mr Young.
Do you know what happened to any of the girls from our year? Linda Walton, Elaine Jones , Hazel Roach?

Marilyn Oliver, remember you were in same class at YGS as myself when we started in 1960. Hope you are well. In touch with a few lads, John Poole knows Hazel Roach,s husband. Think she lives in Wales now. I had a drink with Elaine Jones, a couple of years after we left in 1965. She was training to be a nurse, but went to Canada. Dave Vedmore married Eve Edwards, and they live in the next road to me. Keep in touch. Regards Malcolm Fryer

Hi I was a pupil only for a short time at YGS 1960 1963 but remember the people you name. My best friend Hazel Roach went out with Dave Vedmore. I also remember Maurice Barnes playing the fool in a Latin class and making me laugh and I got sent out of the room by Mr Young.
Do you know what happened to any of the girls from our year? Linda Walton, Elaine Jones , Hazel Roach?
Hi Mal
I’m Dave Smith. You and I were in the same class, although I doubt if you’d remember me. Jon Poole and I have been going through that old school photo of 1962 trying to name some of the girls. In this short section of it I think that’s you next to Liz Hartwell, who I’m sad to say died about 7 years ago.
so there’s you, Liz, ?, Maureen Marshall, ?, Barbara Habberley, Ann Summers, Angela Wootton.
on the next row down, the tall girl in the centre I’m told is Monica Smith then four along from her we think is Margaret Green.
Are you able to add any more girls names from our year, even if they’re not on this section of the photo?
1689579407602.jpeg

Hi
I was at school from 1962-1967. I went through the B stream and I remember Mr Hobby was my first form teacher. Anyone remember me, I was Jennifer whatmore in those days. I married someone from school who was a couple of years older than me and I’m sure he was friendly with Jon Poole, Don Westbrook. They are names that ring a bell.

I have seen some names on previous threads that are familiar with me. I went out with Bob Carter for a short time and also John Ward before I married Bob Doody. I do remember being in same class as John Edwards, John Williams, Malcolm Foyle. Does anyone remember the tuck shop on corner of Warwick road and Reddings Lane, I used to do some part time work there. It was chaos at home time when everyone poured in eager for sweets. I would have been in the photo above somewhere in the bottom two lines

Hi Jent
Bob Doody and I were in the same class, as were Bob Carter and John Ward. I do remember your name, but you were two years younger than me.

Your name does ring a bell. You must have been one of the quiet ones not to be remembered. John ward emigrated to Australia in the eighties, he married Sylvia Evans who was a year below me. I haven’t seen Bob Doody for years as we divorced and I now live in Suffolk. I lived in tyseley until I married and my mother lived in the same house until a few years ago and it always seemed strange when I visited her and walked past the old school that is no longer there. So many memories.

Thanks for the updates
Marilyn Oliver, remember you were in same class at YGS as myself when we started in 1960. Hope you are well. In touch with a few lads, John Poole knows Hazel Roach,s husband. Think she lives in Wales now. I had a drink with Elaine Jones, a couple of years after we left in 1965. She was training to be a nurse, but went to Canada. Dave Vedmore married Eve Edwards, and they live in the next road to me. Keep in touch. Regards Malcolm Fryer
Thanks Malcolm for the updates.I remember you from school and I had heard that Dave Vedmore had married Eve Edwards, who I also remember from our year. Do you still live in Birmingham? I am now living in Malvern

Hi Mal
I’m Dave Smith. You and I were in the same class, although I doubt if you’d remember me. Jon Poole and I have been going through that old school photo of 1962 trying to name some of the girls. In this short section of it I think that’s you next to Liz Hartwell, who I’m sad to say died about 7 years ago.
so there’s you, Liz, ?, Maureen Marshall, ?, Barbara Habberley, Ann Summers, Angela Wootton.
on the next row down, the tall girl in the centre I’m told is Monica Smith then four along from her we think is Margaret Green.
Are you able to add any more girls names from our year, even if they’re not on this section of the photo?
View attachment 181969
Hi Dave, I don’t remember having the photo taken at all. I obviously wasn’t keen judging by the look on my face! The only other girl I recognise on the photo is the one next to Liz Hartwell and I think her name is Brenda Hackett. Why I should remember her and not some of the other names you mention, I have no idea as I wasn’t a particular friend of hers. I was looking out for my closest friends on the photo, like Hazel Roach, Elaine Jones, Linda Walton (Is she possibly the next to last on the right on the same row as me?) but haven’t spotted them.
Sorry I don’t remember you ,Dave. Maybe you were more of a conscientious worker and didn’t associate with the likes of me

Hi Dave, I don’t remember having the photo taken at all. I obviously wasn’t keen judging by the look on my face! The only other girl I recognise on the photo is the one next to Liz Hartwell and I think her name is Brenda Hackett. Why I should remember her and not some of the other names you mention, I have no idea as I wasn’t a particular friend of hers. I was looking out for my closest friends on the photo, like Hazel Roach, Elaine Jones, Linda Walton (Is she possibly the next to last on the right on the same row as me?) but haven’t spotted them.
Sorry I don’t remember you ,Dave. Maybe you were more of a conscientious worker and didn’t associate with the likes of me
Hi Mal
You made me laugh saying I was a conscientious worker. Far from it. I was a day dreamer and tended to be very quiet.

Your name does ring a bell. You must have been one of the quiet ones not to be remembered. John ward emigrated to Australia in the eighties, he married Sylvia Evans who was a year below me. I haven’t seen Bob Doody for years as we divorced and I now live in Suffolk. I lived in tyseley until I married and my mother lived in the same house until a few years ago and it always seemed strange when I visited her and walked past the old school that is no longer there. So many memories.
Yes, I did tend to be quiet. A bit of a day dreamer I suppose,

Thanks for the updates

Thanks Malcolm for the updates.I remember you from school and I had heard that Dave Vedmore had married Eve Edwards, who I also remember from our year. Do you still live in Birmingham? I am now living in Malvern
Mal, I live in Solihull, between Shirley and Earlswood. Have had a few mini reunions with Steve Drew, Dave Vedmore, Jon Poole, Don Westbrook, Alan Morris, and Dave Smith came last time.Married 50 years, 2 sons and 3 grand children.

I have seen some names on previous threads that are familiar with me. I went out with Bob Carter for a short time and also John Ward before I married Bob Doody. I do remember being in same class as John Edwards, John Williams, Malcolm Foyle. Does anyone remember the tuck shop on corner of Warwick road and Reddings Lane, I used to do some part time work there. It was chaos at home time when everyone poured in eager for sweets. I would have been in the photo above somewhere in the bottom two lines
Malcolm Fryer here, I played in same rugby team as Bob Carter & John Ward, was good friends went to both their houses in Manor Farm Road. I remember Bob who was ill and off school for a long time.

Hi Malcolm. Bob Doody lived opposite Bob Carter in Manor Farm Road. Yes, he was ill for quite a while at school but did get over the illness.

Here's an update on the girls in that line. If anybody can help with the names of others on that row or on other rows I would be grateful.

Marilyn Oliver, Elizabeth Hartwell, Brenda Hackett, Maureen Marshall, ?, Ann Summers, Angela Wootton, Carolyn Blackham, ?, ?

Back