• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ghost signs of Birmingham

The shop had been a confectioners from WW2 to the 60s and before that it was a pub. The sign on the wall was probably advertising for somewhere else that might have been close or not. The descriptions of the place are a little diverse to look up on their own and we don't have the top line which could be a name.

Hi, I've found a ghost sign (revealed by a bill board being removed). Is there anyone that would be able to tell me the years J Dicks was trading please? It would give me an idea of the age of the ghost sign. The ghost sign is on Edwards Road, Erdington (on the crossroads with Station Road, Sutton Road, and Sutton New Road. I have attached a photo for information.
Thank you, Andrea.
This is amazing. James Dicks was my great great grandad. I’ve just been clearing out a box and found some scales that were his. I’ve grown up with them but only just took notice of the little plaque.

how wonderful fiona not only have you got the ghost sign but also the scales...dont know how much you are into family history but if it was myself i would get a nice framed copy of the ghost sign and put the scales next to it...maybe in your kitchen..oh and welcome to the forum and the ghost sign is still there as i went past it a couple of weeks ago

lyn

For what it's worth, James Dicks was a confectioner at 22 High St Erdington in 1912 to 1930 In 1935 it's still a confectioner but it's Albert Edward Aston as proprietor. The directory before 1912 is 1898 and it doesn't have a listing for High St Erdington.

Just going back through the pages of this very interesting topic. I thought that I would offer a little more information on the picture of 333 Slade Road that Vivienne14 has posted on page 54.

It is a nice example of how old advertising signs can be used well on new shops. We had the fruit & veg shop next door and 333 was always a butcher's shop during my time there (1960s - 1990's) owned by Aidan Dunne and most recently by Brian Sillery, it became a pet food shop probably at some point within the past twenty years. Nice use of those old metal signs (which are probably worth a few pounds now). Here is a nice example that shows that the art of sign writing is still alive & kicking at The Station pub next door to Sutton Coldfield Railway Station:

1644856359836.png

The Brookvale on Slade Road looking sad. The hanging sign set within the pillar is unusual. Probably just a matter of time before it disintegrates or disappears altogether. Viv.
B4F7F02A-EF65-486C-810B-399110E94A2F.jpegSource: Google Streetview

Attachments

• B1376438-D9ED-4C0A-86ED-BB11C3B8C3B1.jpeg
    B1376438-D9ED-4C0A-86ED-BB11C3B8C3B1.jpeg
    483.7 KB · Views: 11
There was planning application granted in 2018 for:

Part change of use from public house (Use Class A4) to restaurant/cafe (Use Class A3), part demolition, refurbishment, conversion and erection of extensions to create one first floor flat, one-bed flat and two maisonette dwellings with associated works

In 2019 there was a further application which seems to relate to some conditions about the work permitted on the 2018 application. Types of material etc.

The Brookvale on Slade Road looking sad. The hanging sign set within the pillar is unusual. Probably just a matter of time before it disintegrates or disappears altogether. Viv.
View attachment 168225Source: Google Streetview
went past it a couple of weeks back and still in the same state....only went in once but it seemed a nice pub...mind you this was 30 years ago

lyn

I can’t make this one out at all (next door to Digbeth Coach Station, behind the bus shelter). I think it says “.............& S..” (Son ?). It’s definitely not a modern fascia but it’s beneath a block of modern flats. So presumably the upper floors of the building (above the ground level shops) were either added in more recent times or the original upper floors were redesigned.

I could be very wrong but something tells me the shops on the ground floor might be around 1950s/60s in style. Maybe someone can locate an image pre-development of this stretch of shops.

Viv.source: Google Streetview.
18189B8B-8FE0-487E-8DC3-3CD57D330731.jpeg

Attachments

• 4CCAC7A7-4208-4085-9D59-F049F561AE9B.jpeg
    4CCAC7A7-4208-4085-9D59-F049F561AE9B.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 11
This is a 2020 view (only partial as I tried to avoid the bus signs). In 2019 it was covered over with a sign for the then premises (Cashpot).
1646489649365.png

The British Oak on Gooch Street North. The sign under the eaves must be pre 1966. There’s no prefix to the phone number introduced in 1966. The British Oak sign looks newer, having fresher paint. Viv.

71F36E0D-AF87-4CBB-9805-6CE17508ECB8.jpeg

692 is a Smallbrook exchange number, I would have thought that was post-1969, certainly not a number that had a pre-All Figure Number equivalent. A question best asked on the Birmingham Telephones thread!

Back