• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steam Locos

The picture is one of many in an article entitled "The GWR's French Atlantics", by Andrew Wilson. There are at least 16 photos and very extensive description, suitable for the real students of steam. Bob’s link is enough for us that just like looking at pictures.

The picture is one of many in an article entitled "The GWR's French Atlantics", by Andrew Wilson. There are at least 16 photos and very extensive description, suitable for the real students of steam. Bob’s link is enough for us that just like looking at pictures.
Was a very good link for me! Thank you....

Just noticed this post and that the pictures where not always Birmingham so I thought I would post these few.
I have mentioned before as a hobby I scan those slides and negatives you find at the back of relatives cupboards and put them onto a memory stick no cost - the reason for every 200 of Aunty Nellie you find ones like these.
My uncle Les lived in Brownhills so these would probably be West Coast Main line around Lichfield
Not good on locos I think 700*** are Brittania class (?)

20160302203307_03.jpg

Last edited:
As said previous -My uncle lived in Brownhills so these would probably be West Coast Main line around Lichfield
Like the lattice signal posts - no idea of the class though.

20160302203307_04.jpg

My uncle lived in Brownhills so these would probably be West Coast Main line around Lichfield

We have all done it, all set up and a telegraph pole runs in front of the loco, now this signal pole is not lattice not sure if it is significant.
20160302203307_06.jpg

Final one totally not Midlands but is have seen a few American locos so I should be safe !!

Don't expect any more there were only these - no idea why - say thanks to Uncle Les.
20160302211551_11.jpg

To add a little bit of background to the photographs taken at possibly Lichfield.

In order of your posts: 70044 Earl Haig Britannia class 4-6-2 withdrawn Oct 1966,

46136 The Border Regiment Royal Scot Class 4-6-0 withdrawn April 1964

46153 The Royal Dragoon Royal Scot Class 4-6-0 withdrawn Dec 1962

Diesels 10000 & 10001 were regular pairings on the 'Royal Scot' workings.

Note: Royal Scot train not be confused with the Royal Scot class of locomotives.

regards AnnS..

To add a little bit of background to the photographs taken at possibly Lichfield.

In order of your posts: 70044 Earl Haig Britannia class 4-6-2 withdrawn Oct 1966,

46136 The Border Regiment Royal Scot Class 4-6-0 withdrawn April 1964

46153 The Royal Dragoon Royal Scot Class 4-6-0 withdrawn Dec 1962

Diesels 10000 & 10001 were regular pairings on the 'Royal Scot' workings.

Note: Royal Scot train not be confused with the Royal Scot class of locomotives.

regards AnnS..
Thanks AnnS for such a full and quick reply - so we have it that they were probably all pre 1962 around Lichfield they were in the same packet of negatives so an afternoon out - pity he did not go again and that I never found them until too late so I could ask about them !!

Going back in time to the 1950's and the ending of steam......I wondered if there was anyone that had a photo or photos of the 2F...3F..& 4F locos lined up at Bournville Shed (21B) awaiting the scrappie......they were visible from Cotteridge Park ....of course now one wishes we'd taken more photos of them...... I was just in conversation with a friend this morning on about them and also when the trams were lined up on Bristol Road awaiting the scrapping....they were parked up near Bournville Land police station and also at Pebble Mill Road.

There are some photos of Bournville Station and Bournevills Shed on the Warwickshire Railways site,
You may find some there.
Thanks for that....I've looked at that previously and noted at that time a favourite loco from the Halesowen Branch duties 58138 in the queue ...... but I have seen somwhere a shot from Cotteridge Park of them all lined up.....maybe it was Pinterest...but many thanks for the input.

Thanks for that....I've looked at that previously and noted at that time a favourite loco from the Halesowen Branch duties 58138 in the queue ...... but I have seen somwhere a shot from Cotteridge Park of them all lined up.....maybe it was Pinterest...but many thanks for the input.
I think I have found the photo you are looking for.

Thanks guys that's the one I already have but there's another I've seen somewhere that is a good view of them lined up from Cotteridge Park itself and the locos are on the embankment which is just that bit higher than the viewing line of sight that makes them quite a striking image....

After moving to Crawley, Sussex in 1957, I was pleased to find that I lived close to Three Bridges Sheds. Never had much interest outside of LMS, however, I was very curious to see a number of Q1 loco's in the area. They are the ones built during the war as austerity locomotives designed by Bulleid, apparently, only 40 were built.
Dave A
3 bridges 1960.jpg

An annotated Fire Insurance map from the 1930s showing the two shopping arcades (Great Western Arcade and North Western Arcade), which were built over Great Western Railway's Snow Hill Tunnel. The tunnel is 596 yards long with an incline of 1 in 45 from Moor Street to Snow Hill Station. The cross-section in the top right corner of the map shows Snow Hill Tunnel as a wide conventional brick-lined tunnel under the basement level of the North Western Arcade. This differed from the section under the Great Western Arcade, where the broad gauge railway line had originally ran in a wide open cutting. In 1873, to comply with the requirements of the Birmingham Extension Railway Act of 1846, substantial brick piers supporting arches were constructed over this open cutting to provide a roof. The land above was afterwards sold to Mr E Simkin, who erected the Great Western Arcade directly above (see section in gwrbsh1875). The Great Western Railway installed a ventilation system to circulate air in the tunnel

Here ìs a trivia question and I hope one of you GWŔ rail buffs know the answer. Has anyone of you in steam days, seen or heard of Burton Agnes Hall and Rood Ashton Hall double heading together?
Bob

Here ìs a trivia question and I hope one of you GWŔ rail buffs know the answer. Has anyone of you in steam days, seen or heard of Burton Agnes Hall and Rood Ashton Hall double heading together?
Bob
Bob

As a nonrailway buff can I have a guess and ask if its anything to do with the Lickey Incline?

Back