• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Court Lane & Goosemoor Lane, oh gosh its like watching the repair shop, a touch of nostalgia overtook me. A tissue please. Thanks so much for posting them.

Bob

Viv,

It was called primrose even in 1960. Our old cottage in Kings Heath had walls that were dark brown boards up to about 4 feet high. A friend of my mother decided it needed a makeover and said that it we stripped the boards off, he would make good any holes with some plaster and then paint the woodwork for us. A couple of days later he brought over a large can of Pinchin Johnson Primrose gloss paint for the woodwork and later some wallpaper. It made the room look so airy and modern for a place that was built in the 1860s. It still stands today.

Maurice :cool:

Five Ways as I remember it
The lady in the white coat looks bemused by the scene....
FiveWays-HagleyRd1966.jpg

The picture of #5,899 brought back memories. You can just make out the pub 'Hole in the Wall' under the ramp. 2/3 years after that picture was taken would have shown me scurrying up that ramp on my way to the 'Cabin' for a few pints. if you were lucky you could have seen me running (staggering) down again on my way to catch the no. 44 bus back home that was normally sat at its terminus in High Street just behind where the photograph was taken from. Dave

Holly Lane Erdington 1890.......
This view is just inside the 2nd half of Holly Lane, just down from Orphanage Road looking towards Grange Rd which you can just make out in the distance on the left
The houses are STILL there..........click for larger view.

HOLLY LANE, ERDINGTON 1890.jpg

Back