• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Garrison Street

lesg128

george 1st
Hi everyone
Can someone help with a thorny problem, relating to house numbering in 1930 for Garrison St Bordesley Green.
My parents lived at No.38. But am unable to identify which end of the street this was and which side of the street.
Thanks
Lesg128

Most of the houses were on the south side. no 38 was , i think, one of the ones in red on the map.
mike

38_garrison_st__c_1901.jpg

Hi Mikejee
Many thanks for the info you have given me ,it is much appreciated. Can you tell me if the house numbering system followed Odd then Even so that 37 precedes 38 followed by 39 or in this case because of the large factory opposite they resorted to the conventional evens one side odds on the other?
Thanks again for your swift response.
Lesg128

The system seemed to be consecutive, but am not clear how the very few houses on the north side (to the right of the factories) were included. The factories on the north side didn't seem to be numbered.
mike

Hi again mikejee
Thanks once again for your swift response. Having just received some further info from a relative I am convinced you have got this spot on.
Lesg128

Mike

I can't ever remember being houses on the factory side of Garrison St. I think from the beginning it was the cable & rope works (Wrights?) then it became the Land Rover depot where they made the canvas hoods for the Land Rover trucks. We worked for the Rover at Garrison St supplying skips and I don't ever remember a house on that side of the road. There again my memory is getting terrible.

Phil

Phil
Its very possible they disapeared long before you knew it or that they weren't houses but shops ( though i would assume shops would be numbered) . I'm only going from the 1901 map below, which seems to show two houses/shops between green st and midland st. It is on a different sheet than the other part of the street.
mike

garrison_st__east_end_c_1901.jpg

I used to live (in fact I was born there) at 115 Garrison Street, my Nan lived next door at 114. These were towards the top of the street by Wright Ropes enterance and not far from the railway bridge and the pub the Queens head.

Hello, Bernie,
Having researched this question in some detail, I too am convinced that this level crossing was in Garrison Street, and not in Garrison Lane.

The “Private No Admission” sign in the video was on the Garrison Street approach to the level crossing which gave access to the Garrison Farm Brick Works; only authorised persons could make use of the crossing and enter the works.
The crossing was known as “Brickyard Crossing”, as the map shows.
The signal box in the video can be seen on the map, but it does not seem to be there on google

My only doubt is the fact that the house between Garland (or Green) Street and Garrison Street appears to have been drastically modified; in the video the building has a window on Garrison Street whereas today the house has a door onto the street where the window had previously been. A downpipe has been removed. Despite this, I am convinced it’s the same building.
Best wishes, David

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi zeeta
I also was born in Garrison St 'number 38' and lived there for I think 5 or 6 years. The house faced onto the street opposite Wrights Ropes where my mother used to work before I was born in 1931.I have strong memories of the Street especially the far end at the railway bridge. Unfortunately I have no recollections of a level crossing but remember playing on the canal near the lock. We were always being chased away by the lock keeper. The house I lived in was a 'back to back' and had an entry down oneside which led to a courtyard where the 'brewhouse'was situated.My mother always used to talk about the crowds of men walking down the street to go to the Birmingham City football ground.She said they always marched down the street like soldiers.
lesg128

That's where we thought it was in a discussion on another forum David , I think you are 100% right . I was just loking for confirmation from someone who lived there but it seems a few people have come to the same conclusion , thanks for shareing your hard work David much obliged .
Bernie

According to ‘Kelly’s directory for 1968-69 the last property between Garland St and the Railway crossing was at 131A Castle Art Products Ltd [Die Casters]

the level crossing which gave access to the Garrison Farm Brick Works;

I remember it well in the 50s the brick yard was finished we used to play on there and called it Bordesley Tip but we had another way on to it go up Landor St to Adderley Rd South by the end of the Morris Commercial Factory it was quite desolate but one day we found a Sky Larks nest. Dek

According to ‘Kelly’s directory for 1968-69 the last property between Garland St and the Railway crossing was at 131A Castle Art Products Ltd [Die Casters]

.... and I've found this on the Internet :

View attachment 67854
Midland_Street_-_Garland_Street.JPG

There is no mention of these premises on Google Earth or Google Maps; I guess it must be a recently-constructed building .....
There again, mikejee can find no reference to this address either. If Mike can't place it, I'm beginning to believe it really doesn't exist !!!!?! :rolleyes: David

Last edited:
Thanks, Bernie. But where exactly is The Accordion Centre? I must get to the bottom of this. Is it the "house" on the corner of Garland cum Green Street and Garrison Street? If so, why is the address for the centre given as 131 Midland Street? David

Last edited:
The Accordion Centre from the address seems to be the buiding next to the Qeens Head or the buiding after that does anyone have the address of the Queens Head thanks Bernie

Bernie,
Although The Accordion Centre's website gives the address of the business as 131 Midland Street as seen in Post #17, if one goes to the Thomson Local.com site and types "accordions" and "Birmingham" in the appropriate search boxes, it comes up with The Accordion Centre and lists the address as 5-7 Garland Street. If one then goes to Google Earth (or Google Maps) and whams in 5-7 Garland Street, the Street View view shows a company called Matts and Jenkins Ltd. By looking up Matts and Jenkins on the Internet (Google, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.), you're taken to the company's website and lo and behold! abracadabra! the address is 5-7 Garland Street!
Mystery over. The house on the corner of Garland Street (or Green Street) and Garrison Street is a residential home and not The Accordion Centre.
Case proven.
Best wishes, David

does anyone have the address of the Queens Head thanks Bernie

In the 'Kelly's for 1968-9 that I have ,all the pubs in Birmingham are listed, I'd say on 99% of them it gives the Rd, or St number of them, one exception is the Queens Head, it just says 'Garrison St'

Thanks David and Nick isn't it always the way the one pub you'r looking for is not numbered , anyway David you have proved it isn't the building in the film once again thanks for the info .
Bernie

Just for a change, here's a query about the other end of Garrison Street.........

A couple of years ago, I watched the demolition of a derelict petrol station that was situated on Lawley Street, between Garrison Lane and Garrison Street. They dug down several feet below the road surface in Garrison Street and uncovered a series of large arches, tiled in brown and white, in really good condition (like it had been buried yesterday). The structure looked very 'railway'. Does anyone know what used to stand on this site?

My family lived at Back 38, Garrison Street, Aston. My Grandad died in this property at the young age of 39. He was a rope makers labourer. I am struggling to find out any more information of the family as they came to Birmingham from Germany. The name was Peter Suss (sometimes spelled as Siess) and his wife was Sarah Jane. His Father was Frederick. Any ideas to help me trace more info would really be appreciated. (Did many Germans arrive in Birmingham at this time and why?).

Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud, and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

My family lived at Back 38, Garrison Street, Aston. My Grandad died in this property at the young age of 39. He was a rope makers labourer. I am struggling to find out any more information of the family as they came to Birmingham from Germany. The name was Peter Suss (sometimes spelled as Siess) and his wife was Sarah Jane. His Father was Frederick. Any ideas to help me trace more info would really be appreciated. (Did many Germans arrive in Birmingham at this time and why?).
Hi Sonj
Pleased to make your acquaintence.
My name is Leslie Green and I was born on Garrison Street at No. 38 which was on the street front.
I think your family lived at No. 1 Back of 38 Garrison Street. Entrance was gained down an entry to a large Courtyard with
a Brewhouse and Gas lamp.
My mother also worked at Wrights Rope Works on the spinning machines.
My sister who passed away recently, used to refer to a person, who had lost a leg, called Frank.
Would love to make contact with you.
Regards Les:)

Hello,
I’m trying to find out more of my family tree, found out a bit but we have found an address, so trying to find more information on it, 109 garrison street, my family are from a German back ground and lived there around 1939, can’t find anything online not even pictures of the house. So any information would be helpful!
Thanks

Hi sonj I’m trying to find similar information about my family, they lived on the same street at number 109 and were from Germany and lived there around 1939. Hope this if anything is helpful.

Back