• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old style food still going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Growing up in Brum from an Irish background one of our signature dishes was good old bacon and cabbage with mashed swedes and potato's. I went against the grain in my house as I loved to douse the whole thing in HP sauce. Still do...

Growing up in Brum from an Irish background one of our signature dishes was good old bacon and cabbage with mashed swedes and potato's. I went against the grain in my house as I loved to douse the whole thing in HP sauce. Still do...
my brother did that.cover every meal in sauce lol

I would kill for one of their Pork Pies! I worked in a butchers shop after school but Bywaters PP and sausages were the BEST :)
I worked in Bywaters during school holidays 1969/1970. A great food producer w
I would kill for one of their Pork Pies! I worked in a butchers shop after school but Bywaters PP and sausages were the BEST :)
I worked at Bywaters during school holidays in 1969/1970. Great fun and a great place to work. And yes their Pork Pies were superb. Bywaters was an old school company that kept an eye on quality from what I saw at that time.

cheese cake.
ho yes. i had 2 yesterday (xmas day) with loads of squirt cream on.in fact i made a pig of my self. :yum:grinning:

Christmas cake and cheese anyone ? Viv.
That is a Yorkshire tradition. My parents had a friend from there (can't remember exactly where) and he wouldn't have fruit cake without cheese.
Has anybody mentioned bubble and squeak ? Love it especially with the slightly burnt bits on the bottom.
I cheat and do bubble and squeak in the oven. A buttered dish and you get those burnt bits on the bottom and crispy top if you fork it well into little peaks.

Can't beat the little burnt bits, Janice. I especially like to eat those around the edge of the stuffing dish. :)

Maurice :cool:

That is a Yorkshire tradition. My parents had a friend from there (can't remember exactly where) and he wouldn't have fruit cake without cheese.

I cheat and do bubble and squeak in the oven. A buttered dish and you get those burnt bits on the bottom and crispy top if you fork it well into little peaks.
Just about to put ours in the oven now. Serving with fried egg on top.

Christmas cake and cheese anyone ? Viv.

The last two years I have made a Christmas Plum Pudding – Mrs Beeton’s Recipe 1328.
I like this recipe because it has no added sugar, just the sweetness of the fruit. As with a lot of the older recipes, its dead easy to make and tastes wonderful.

I did eat some the other day with butter on, it was lovely so will be trying it with some cheese too tomorrow.

Think that will be delicious Mort.

To be honest I’m starting to get Christmas food fatigue. Always start to crave ‘plain’ food by the end of Boxing Day.

Anyone still have this as a nightcap ? We used to but I don’t have it now. Viv.

34C26722-9DC8-4E3C-B8FC-FE90B979007E.jpeg

The last two years I have made a Christmas Plum Pudding – Mrs Beeton’s Recipe 1328.
I like this recipe because it has no added sugar, just the sweetness of the fruit. As with a lot of the older recipes, its dead easy to make and tastes wonderful.

I did eat some the other day with butter on, it was lovely so will be trying it with some cheese too tomorrow.
My mum used to fry slices of leftover Christmas pudding!

Everyone these days is on a health kick, The GOOD old FISH AND CHIPS the I eat along with the full cooked brekky, Roast beef din-din! as a cyclist that raced, probably the WORST things that I could have eaten. BUT I survived and at 87 still in pretty good health and still riding my bloody bike so who knows, would I be better of now today IF I had NOT eaten all the so call BAD FOOD I doubt it!! Would you please pass over, the Colemans Mustard!!!12010588_1143830958978090_4380814527091287035_o.jpg

Everyone these days is on a health kick, The GOOD old FISH AND CHIPS the I eat along with the full cooked brekky, Roast beef din-din! as a cyclist that raced, probably the WORST things that I could have eaten. BUT I survived and at 87 still in pretty good health and still riding my bloody bike so who knows, would I be better of now today IF I had NOT eaten all the so call BAD FOOD I doubt it!! Would you please pass over, the Colemans Mustard!!!View attachment 151229

OB me on a health kick ,behave yourself ? I eat what I like I get a regular amount of fruit down me and I drink real ale . Exercise too ,after all who wants to end up stiff .

I certainly think modern food is not good for health. Just look at the amount of added sugar and other additives. In our household we only eat what our grandmother would recognise as food. Fresh veg, fruit and meat. I cook every meal from fresh and like more traditional meals and we also avoid processed food.

As an experiment I did both fried Christmas pudding and with butter and cheese. The fried was nice, but just a bit of a novelty, but with cheese and butter it is super. I’m quickly running out now.

Xmas-Pud-Fried.jpgXmas-Pud.jpg

I certainly think modern food is not good for health. Just look at the amount of added sugar and other additives. In our household we only eat what our grandmother would recognise as food. Fresh veg, fruit and meat. I cook every meal from fresh and like more traditional meals and we also avoid processed food.

As an experiment I did both fried Christmas pudding and with butter and cheese. The fried was nice, but just a bit of a novelty, but with cheese and butter it is super. I’m quickly running out now.

View attachment 151242View attachment 151241

Chris I think modern food is only bad if you buy bad food, ie fast food pizza's , kebabs , etc . The strange thing is where these foods originate from the locals there don't suffer the way we do . For example with all the pasta , pizza's etc Italy eat , if you check they seem to have a good tolerance with the food they eat , mainly because it is accompanied with fresh fruit and veg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back