• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old style food still going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think that will be delicious Mort.

To be honest I’m starting to get Christmas food fatigue. Always start to crave ‘plain’ food by the end of Boxing Day.

Anyone still have this as a nightcap ? We used to but I don’t have it now. Viv.

View attachment 151200

viv i often make up an oxo drink with a tad of pepper in it and dunk a couple of slices of bread in it...lovely and warming

lyn

I am 77 and I am proud to say I have never set foot in a Mcdonalds although my grandson is trying hard to change that.

Mike you're not on your own , I've set foot into the one they have at Perry Barr One Stop just to use the excuse me . I've never eaten a McD Or Burger King meal or any other fast food emporium .

OldBrit
The really bad food is the more recently introduced rubbish, not fish and chips and roasts. Avoid the McDonalds and similar muck
Unfortunately McDonalds is only part of it............when I had my kidney removed I had to spend time with a nutritionist, she cautioned about the fast food but started to read the label on tins and packages, its like a chemistry set! And things most of like in OXO and Boveril are VERY high in sodium. Almost any processed food contains the similar stuff as the fast food.

I haven't been into a McDonald's for years and that was only for a takeaway coffee when I worked in Town, I don't eat meat so I've never wanted a burger.
However I will say, I think the food in some of those fried chicken places is far worse healthwise - the smell too, ugh :confounded:

I think that their thinking goes something along the lines of "the hot oil will kill any nasties", but I wouldn't so sure of that. Best avoided altogether.

Maurice :cool:

Remember in the 60s you could get chips and curry sauce ? Then it went out of fashion. In more recent years Wagamamma and Yo Sushi started doing Katsu curry dishes. Now to me that tastes just like the old curry sauce we had with chips. Or am I imagining it. I love it too - and sorry folks, yes with CHIPS! Viv.

Last edited:
Remember in the 60s you could get chips and curry sauce ? Then it went out of fashion. In more recent years Miso and Yo Sushi started doing Katsu curry dishes. Now to me that tastes just like the old curry sauce we had with chips. Or am I imagining it. I love it too - and sorry folks, yes with CHIPS! Viv.
i bought a bag of that curry sauce mix from a chinese warehouse. in nechells it was only a few quid,, it made about 20 gallons of sauce:grinning: we had it for months,i think all my friends had some so we could get rid of it.

I know p/pies have been going a long time but i have never had one of these......Red pepper chorizo pork pie.contains chedder cheese. pork and bacon topped with breadcrumbs. .. so later i will give it a go:grinning:

I haven't been into a McDonald's for years and that was only for a takeaway coffee when I worked in Town, I don't eat meat so I've never wanted a burger.
However I will say, I think the food in some of those fried chicken places is far worse healthwise - the smell too, ugh :confounded:
We go to McDonalds for the coffee which is pretty good value!

I always cook oxtail the day before I want to eat it. Leave it to cool. It sets (from the gelatin in the bones) then you can skim off all the fat from the top. Slowly melt the jelly in a saucepan, thicken, heat thoroughly and serve with creamy mash. Not forgetting crusty bread to mop up the excess gravy. :yum

Just remembered where we used to get curry sauce and chips; at the China Garden in the subway at the side of Lewis’s - the subway near Bull Street and Steelhouse Lane. Think the Brown Derby pub was there too. Maybe it was a Chinese version of curry then ? The reason we always had it at the China Garden it was dirt cheap. Viv.

Celery soup, watercress soup, parsnip soup, pea soup - I like them all. I hate pearl barley in anything and don't like lentils either. Tomato soup in a restaurant is usually good providing they're not using powdered or tinned stuff. And here I love shrimp saganaki, which is like a think tomato soup with added feta sheese and shrimps. The best ones are difficult to find, but have lots of cheese and a few herbs sprinkled on top and then baked in a ceramic dish and served in the dish straight from the oven - yummy. :) (It's old food that is still going strong).

Pete,

Iceland do excellent frozen curries, you just need to provide the rice. Any local shop that deals with the big food wholesalers should be able to order it for you.

Pete,

Iceland do excellent frozen curries, you just need to provide the rice. Any local shop that deals with the big food wholesalers should be able to order it for you.

ta our Maurice. i do buy the ones with rice from them,but its a bit sweet

Did anyone like an egg in a curry, specifically the Vesta ones ? Don’t do it now, but I’m sure I’d still like it. After all, you have egg in kedgeree - love this and still have a homemade one from time to time. Viv.

Did anyone like an egg in a curry, specifically the Vesta ones ? Don’t do it now, but I’m sure I’d still like it. After all, you have egg in kedgeree - love this and still have a homemade one from time to time. Viv.

gosh yes viv our dad loved the vesta curry but always cooked a hard boiled egg and sliced it on top of his curry i have also done it on home made curry

lyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back