• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old style food still going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Scientists have found what they believe is the smelliest cheese in the world.
  • Vieux Boulogne, a soft cheese from Boulogne sur Mer in northern France, beat 14 other whiffy varieties in tests, including one so smelly it is reputedly banned on some public transport networks.

My father use to eat sliced white bread and he used to dip them in cold cooked rhubarb.He really loved it until the doctor told him to stop eating it because rhubarb was bad for his gout he had in his feet.My mother always liked cooking rhubarb cus she said it made her aluminium saucepans really shine.Now I always think if it could do that to saucepans God knows what it does to our stomachs ?.
You have to remember that there is naturally acid in your stomach to help you digest your food. If you heated your stomach contents in your saucepans they wouls probably clean them far better than rhubarb .:rolleyes:

• Scientists have found what they believe is the smelliest cheese in the world.
  • Vieux Boulogne, a soft cheese from Boulogne sur Mer in northern France, beat 14 other whiffy varieties in tests, including one so smelly it is reputedly banned on some public transport networks.
It's a great cheese but you haver to " self isolate " it, haha, as it corrupts all other foodstuff in your fridge, tasty though.

What about jellied eels ?
Also chicken livers with stilton and cream and a dash of cognac, great on wholemeal toast.
I also like pie and liquor when I go to London, with vinegar on the pie.

What about jellied eels ?
Also chicken livers with stilton and cream and a dash of cognac, great on wholemeal toast.
I also like pie and liquor when I go to London, with vinegar on the pie.
The first two sound great..............Pie & liquor sound great, not sure about vinegar on the pie, love the both but not together!

Jellied eels - no thanks !
Chicken livers - yes for pate
Pie, mash & liquor - yes please, I’ll have mine without the vinegar thanks.

Sardines on toast anyone ? Lovely with chopped spring onion and a dash of red wine vinegar. Don’t think young people go much for sardines these days.
Or mackerel pate on toast ? Mackerel, spring onion, cream cheese, cayenne pepper and lemon zest - chuck it all in a food processor. Delicious and cheap.

But are the sardines and mackerel recipes old style ? Never had these when I was young.

Viv.

Vinegar on the pie is traditional, it probably stems back to when you couldn't be sure what exactly went in the the pie and it acted as some sort of antiseptic !

When I was courting my wife (early 60's) she came to our house for Sat lunch and my mum served stuffed hearts and it nearly made her sick! The relationship survived somehow.

My childhood was spent in the era of rationing when the prime cuts of meat were almost non-existent so it was offal or starve! I chose to eat.

I love a packet of pork scratchings with a pint of bitter. I believe that it has always been something local to us? I once asked for a packet of scratchings in a pub in Accrington. The barmaid looked at me as if I was taking the piss. Are scratchings a Brum/Black country thing?

I love a packet of pork scratchings with a pint of bitter. I believe that it has always been something local to us? I once asked for a packet of scratchings in a pub in Accrington. The barmaid looked at me as if I was taking the piss. Are scratchings a Brum/Black country thing?

Yes, I think they are a Midlands thing, never seen them in London. I loved them years ago but my teeth couldn't cope with them now :laughing:

You can get a pork scratchings Advent Calendar now, it gives you a small packet every day up to Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back