• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Doctors

Not directly. He was my dads’ doctor for many years, right up until he retired. He practiced from and lived in one of the very big houses on Gravelly Hill, that I think was pulled down to build a block of flats.

Glad someone else has heard of or remembers hm. Was my doctor for many years until he retired. Yes, a big house down Gravelly Hill. A true gent and proper GP Thanks for that Morturn

Hi
Dr McPartlin was a lovely doctor a true gentleman. He was always immaculately dressed and well groomed.
I recall my mom saying when we lived in Alma Street Aston, he came out to my brother in the middle of the night wearing his pyjamas!
In the 1950’s his surgery was in Sheep Street Gosta Green. The waiting room was always full and had a hissing gas fire burning away. There wasn’t an appointment system in those days. The surgery door would be open and closed to a set time. Also there was no one to call out the next patients name etc; You would have to remember who was in the waiting room when you first arrived and take it from there.
He moved to Windsor Street Nechells in the 1960’s.
Thankfully he was our doctor until he retired in the 1980’s.
Regards
Linda

lovely post linda....yes gone are the days when we just walked into the surgery and waited our turn with our mom making a mental note of who was before us....

lyn

I remember Dr. Wand. I'm 67 now and I think it was 'old' Dr. Wand I used to see. I lived on Bristol Road opposite Wrensons (corner of Wellington Road) and remember going to Dr. Wands office which he had on the corner of Bristol Road and Balsall Heath Road.I remember walking to his office and waiting for the buzzer to sound for the next patient. One day I went by myself after school to get a polio injection...that was not fun. My best memory of Dr. Wand was when he used his plastic tongue depressor, the one with the light, on me. I gagged and was sick all over him. He was a very nice man he just got up, went to his little wash room area, wiped himself down, came back and said nothing.

Does anyone have any memories of a Dr Wifrid B Gough. Researching my wife's side of the family I have found a death cert. for her Paternal Grandmother who apparently passed away in what I assume would have been Dr Goughs surgery at 633 Shirley Road in Feb. 1954.

Does anyone have any memories of a Dr Wifrid B Gough. Researching my wife's side of the family I have found a death cert. for her Paternal Grandmother who apparently passed away in what I assume would have been Dr Goughs surgery at 633 Shirley Road in Feb. 1954.
According to Kelly's 1955, there was a Dr Wilfred Brian Gough at 633 Shirley Road,
Gough, Kerton & Wiseman, physons & surgns, also a Miss Ruth Hinckley & a Bernard F Colquhoun

Rob

Rob, many thanks for the information, I thought that perhaps it was just a GPs surgery but it would appear to have been more than that.
I think this requires some more investigation as both my wife and I are a little puzzled as to why her Grandmother would have died at the address.

Died in the surgery? My late wife, who was an asthmatic all her life, almost did that in her doctor's surgery. Most doctors have an emergency alarm bell hidden somewhere and she remembered him pressing it, a nurse appearing from nowhere, and within minutes an ambulance had arrived and had taken her off to the local hospital. Fortunately she survived the attack, but was told by the hospital to dial 999 if ever she felt like that again. That was over 30 years ago, and I'm not sure she would have survived some of the extensive waiting times today.

Maurice

Certainly, when I was a kid, early 1940's, I lived about 100m. from the surgery which is on the roundabout where Lakey Lane crosses Shirley Rd. Certainly Dr Wiseman was my mothers doctor (& probably the rest of the family) I think Dr Gough was the senior & I recognise the name Kerton
My father died in 1999 & I dont remember his doctors name but I cant believe it could be one of the above.
John

All, thanks for the replies. Going by what John said, I think that the building now houses a Dental practice.
Reddi

The Villa Doc's

Dr Massey Senior, and his two sons Dr Paul and Dr Michael.

Maybe better known as 'The Villa Doctors'?
Initially practised on the corner of Park Lane Aston......later moving to Church Lane, Handsworth. Pioneering the transition from single handed GP practises to the Family Medical Centres.
Gp's always used to know the 'family members', recognising you by sight and remembering your name........and everything about you!
Are they still alive and retired? I think daughter of Dr Paul is practicing in Northamptonshire

Does anyone remember Dr Brieger in the 60's? He was German or similar and had a kindly, crooked smile and was very kind towards a little one such as me who was fairly terrified! He used to have an octagonal tin on his desk containing Smarties - very impressive to me in those days! He would offer the tin as you left and I remember taking just one Smartie - he said: "I think you can have more than one!!" so I politely took just one more - he chuckled with laughter! I'd love to know more about him - nationality, and what happened to him.

My Doctor was Chitnis Coleshill Road Castle Bromwich, back in the 60´s, remember his father, who probally was due to retire late 60´s, his son worked there and was a Police doctor as well, he was a very abrupt Doctor and not a lot of people used to like going to him but on the other hand he was also a very good doctor. His son is also a Doctor same practice. There first Surgery was a 3 bed room house over he road from Hunters Moon, then they moved up to a house facing Clock Garage and i think they have also got one in Castle Bromwich.

I rembember the first surgery (before mobiles) and if the surgery wanted to attract the Doctor when he was passsing (outside surgery hours) tgey used to put a coloured card in the window to ask him to pop in .
Same doctor as we had way back to the 1940’s both father and son were great doctors ,thanks for sharing and reminding me

Hi,

Dr Rangwani at Arran Way Medical Centre Smiths Wood in the 70s/80s

My favourite doctor.

Kind regards
Dave

We had a Dr Kalra? who lived across the road from us real nice family beautiful daughters this was in the 1950s Moat Lane Yardley

Back