• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Broad Street

very interesting viv.....so many different shapes to that line of buildings..i wonder what the rhodes shop used to be...mike if you spot this could we have a map please showing the location....thanks mike

lyn

It is marked as a Presbyterian Church on a 1914 map and there is information about it on various church websites and a 1935 aerial view showing what was behind the building.
Presbyterian.JPG

I did once go into Rhodes, late 1960s. Accidentally knocked a cup and saucer off a display and broke it. Apologised and the assistant just replaced it with another one of the same design. They did not charge me for it.

Hers is map c 1960s. It is not clear where Rhodes building ends and no 163 Tennant st begins

map c 1960s showing no 174 broad st.jpg

I like this inter-War (1934) image of Broad Street. It gives an impression of prosperity and carefreeness. How this view has changed in more modern times ! Viv.

977CB1ED-1886-43F8-A980-FFBFC97623C2.jpeg

Lyn,

It certainly looks a bit more lively in 1934 than it did in the later 1950s - then I thought it was a very barren sort of place.

Maurice

Hi,

I've just had an "Oh my ..." moment with that first photo, if that's a school wall leading up to the church then I went there sometime around 1962-ish.
The classroom I was in was the sacristy, and I remember the smell of scent as a regular thing and one time there was a fire there (outside of school time) and a very strong smell of that when we went back to class.
There was a snooker table in the school! and I think the head mistress may have been a Mrs Mackentire (guessing the spelling on that), and marbles was the big thing at playtime.
We lived in Sherborne Street back then and I think I was only there for part of one year before we moved house, surely it's the right place?

Regards, Gerry.

Steam-d-b I left St Peters in 1960 , Mrs Mckintyre used to be deputy head . Miss Clements used to be head when I was there also used to be a Miss Harrison elderly woman nickname Pen and Ink used to sit at her desk permanently grinding her teeth , Mr Gunn another teacher . Where the snooker table situated it used to be used a some kind of social club of an evening , whichever night it was , the morning after it reeked of stale tobacco and beer . They used to test the wannabee choir members there , Mr Setterfield the music teacher , Miss Lester . that about all I can remember

Colour - even better Phil, thank you. Is this the Church that was designed to look like a factory to avoid anti-Catholic feeling, or am I getting mixed up?

According to what we were told when I was at the school the reason a certain amount of the steeple was removed was to make it look like a factory to save it from being bombed during WW11 . I left St Peters in 1960

Early December 2018 panoramic from the Library of Birmingham, overlooking Centenary Square to what was part of Broad Street. Arena Central on the other side. HSBC UK recently opened at 1 Centenary Square. The University of Birmingham will be taking over the former Municipal Bank in the near future. It is currently closed to all traffic at the moment. Buses diverted, usually exiting or heading down Sheepcote Street.

thanks ell...any idea what the uni will be using the old bank for...could it be for archive material

lyn

Birmingham Mail article

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/ne...n-light-universitys-revamp-municipal-15532963

A project to revamp the former Municipal Bank building in Birmingham city centre has been approved by city planning chiefs.

University of Birmingham will carry out a major renovation of the Grade II-listed building in Broad Street after acquiring the site in 2016.

The building will be adapted to accommodate a year-round public programme, a new incubator hub for student and graduate start-up businesses and a range of collaborative spaces for research, policy development and a new leadership Institute.

The old banking hall and vaults will be re-opened to the public with exhibitions, events, workshops, performances and a café.

The formal stone and bronze entrance which faces onto Broad Street will be restored while a new rear glazed entrance is being created as part of the wider Arena Central scheme, facing onto a new public square known as Bank Court.

thanks ell it gladdens my heart to know at least one organisation has had the foresight to save this building

lyn

HI
Does anybody have any photos of the HMSO bookshop (Her Magesty’s Stationary Office) which was at 258 Broad Street Birmingham on the corner with Berkley Street? The HMSO was there between about 1974 and 1990. I would love to see some pictures if you have any I have memories of the place.
James
Hello James, I know this response is 9 years following your own postings and due to my only finding this site now, however and while I regretfully don't have any pictures of the shop I also have terrifically fond memories of the place and all of the wonderful people (without exception) employed there. I worked there for nearly 3 years in the 1970's and enjoyed every minute. Wishing you well, David

Hello James, I know this response is 9 years following your own postings and due to my only finding this site now, however and while I regretfully don't have any pictures of the shop I also have terrifically fond memories of the place and all of the wonderful people (without exception) employed there. I worked there for nearly 3 years in the 1970's and enjoyed every minute. Wishing you well, David

I remember the HM Stationery shop in Broad Street, I worked in the Tax Department of an Accountants in the 70's and I used to go to the shop to buy the latest info for the new tax year.

I remember the HM Stationery shop in Broad Street, I worked in the Tax Department of an Accountants in the 70's and I used to go to the shop to buy the latest info for the new tax year.

I lived in William St , just off Broad St , if the stationery shop was in the same position, it was originally The Everyman Stationery Co . This was facing The Church of The Messiah , to the right of that was Astleys then Philip Fyne motors cnr of Broad St/Gas St, to the left of the stationery shop was a coin/medal shop later to be a bookies then the entrance to what was later to become The Rum Runner other side of the entrance was Bentley's who used to make and supply wheelchairs . Next to that was the entrance to the car park behind the BBC studios , George Clay music shop/ next to that BBC social club there were two other shop fronts of which I'm unsure about one of which became an antique shop later then The Rendezvous Cafe cnr Bridge St Astleys closed the above shop and just traded through it's other shop further up Broad St . All the above was between 1955-69 I hope you find this informative

Hi
I'm researching Broad Street history and I'm interested to find out about particular buildings.

The current building is where the Walkabout pub chain is based. My husband said that nearby there was a coin shop and other desolated shops before it was all redisigned as it stands now.

Does anyone know any information where I can find this out please.

Anything helps.

Kind regards Rianne

Hi rianne1974 I've just noticed this post if you're still interested see my post 74 hope it's of benefit

Many thanks Alan, very helpful. The two threads are now merged, so there may be posts previously unseen by members. Viv.

II was curious about one of the photos (the one showing the Crown Inn) which is in the Prince of Wales theatre thread. I was pleased to know that the pub still is there - remarkably escaped demolition. The photo shown a nice sunny day at 8.50 am.
The date is given as 1934 but the bus looks more post 1935 and has CITY as destination. This suggests a Portland Road to Perry Common service only going as far as the city loop.
1572791059776.png

II was curious about one of the photos (the one showing the Crown Inn) which is in the Prince of Wales theatre thread. I was pleased to know that the pub still is there - remarkably escaped demolition. The photo shown a nice sunny day at 8.50 am.
The date is given as 1934 but the bus looks more post 1935 and has CITY as destination. This suggests a Portland Road to Perry Common service only going as far as the city loop.
View attachment 138797

Good photograph people can also see where the Tow Rope cafe was going to be situated may years later . Now the lampost and bus stop center picture were removed , Where I worked between 1969-71 there was a man that I worked with who was my unsung hero , after his demob from the army he worked on the buses . I found out sometime later that the bus stop was later replaced nearer to this end of the picture due to my work colleague . I was told this by a man from the post office who used to be the driver with my workmate , who used to like a drink and the driver would stop . After the stop in the picture was removed , the stop prior would have been at Bush House the next stop then the Hall of Memory then the replacement was installed . I can't guarantee the tale was true but that was what I was told

Early in the morning 10th July 2005

It must have been early for it to be that quiet.

I often go up early on a Sunday morning and park in and around Gas Street to wander round taking photographs and it is rare to see Broad Street so quiet.

It is almost like the city has been abandoned!

Cup final day, we were standing in the showroom doorway at Watsons Cars, the road was empty of vehicles but a single car came up the middle of the road and hit the keep left signs near Sheepcote Street dead centre, heaven knows where his interest was. :)

Back