• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

High Street Birmingham

A French word from middle english it says: pronounced 'pal et tow' (my version :D)
Definition of paletot
plural
-s
1: a man's loose outer coat
2: a man's fitted overcoat; also : a woman's fitted jacket worn especially in the 19th century over a costume with crinoline or bustle

A French word from middle english it says: pronounced 'pal et tow' (my version :D)
Definition of paletot
plural
-s
1: a man's loose outer coat
2: a man's fitted overcoat; also : a woman's fitted jacket worn especially in the 19th century over a costume with crinoline or bustle
Merci beaucoup
Bob

post 24..nice pic jim...not seen that one before..now i wonder which part of the high st it was taken at...possible bomb damage on the left and lamp post minus its top

lyn

Lyn
In the photo on post 24, Allan's, on the right, is at no 50 on the corner of Carr's Lane

View attachment 115593

High Street Market, Birmingham by David Cox circa 1827
Little changed from when I was there on Saturday on one of my rare excursions back to the big city. I wanted to get from New Street Station to Broad Street, but someone has stolen all the buses, the 3/6/7/9/10 & 12. I could not walk as leg was playing up a bit and I had limited time, but for next visit how and where at the St Martins Church/New Street end would I have got a bus to Broad Street? Or should I have got on the pink and grey space ship that clanged past me like an alien cocoon creeping slowly into orbit and changed at Bull Street/Snow Hill? Isn't progress wonderful?
Bob

Bob, the buses are at the back of the new Rag Market and market stalls by St. Martin's Church. 126 goes to Broad St. But as everywhere is being dug up (as usual!) they have moved the bus stops up to by where the Register Office was. The Metro doesn't go there yet.
It would be wise to check again before you go, everything seems to change from week to week.
rosie.

Afraid the planners of Brum, who only go anywhere in their chauffeur-driven cars, and who don't know what walking or buses are, decreed some time ago that buses do not go across cities, Instead they approach warily from one side, do little rotating movement, and then go out back from whence they came. the tram (which you noticed) does go past the end of broad st but would have only taken a small amount off your journey, as it does not have a stop actually in Broad St.
I did take the opportunity to comment of this ridiculous state of affairs to a planning officer a year ago, and he said that in the sands of time in the future (actually he said at the next planning stage) they would be considering the "problem" of crossing the city and interconnecting routes in different areas.

Bob, the buses are at the back of the new Rag Market and market stalls by St. Martin's Church. 126 goes to Broad St. But as everywhere is being dug up (as usual!) they have moved the bus stops up to by where the Register Office was. The Metro doesn't go there yet.
It would be wise to check again before you go, everything seems to change from week to week.
rosie.
Thanks
Bob

I went on 126 today from the Rag Market, it went to Smallbrook Queensway Opposite New St Station, up and around Holloway Head, past the Mailbox (opposite "The Alec") and then onto Broad St. It's along way round but when you can't manage the walk it's a help!
(Sorry to go off topic from High St.)
rosie.

Update! 126 no longer goes to the Bull Ring, it diverts down bridge Street off Broad Street, to Holliday Street then to Colmore Row. I wasn't the only passenger to be surprised! I didn't make it to the Market, I don't go very often and didn't know it had changed.
rosie.

Only the Stratford Road / Warwick Road buses stop on the High Street outside of Boots. And the Walsall bound buses stop round the corner on lower Bull Street (other stops on Carrs Lane for the Pershore Road / Bristol Road and other Stratford Road bus routes).

I think this is the same view as Jonob's image in post #18. But this one looks earlier. (No date, sorry). It sometimes seems especially difficult to place some of the earlier High Street images. Viv.

image.jpeg

I think this is the same view as Jonob's image in post #18. But this one looks earlier. (No date, sorry). It sometimes seems especially difficult to place some of the earlier High Street images. Viv.

View attachment 120903
The photo was taken pre 1906 as Wrench Postcards closed down in that year, reference can be found by Googling Wrench Postcards.
Bob

I like this view of High Street as it brings out lots of details on the buildings. No specific date for it but looks to me about 1910s (?) I think it’s the junction with New Street (off to the left) looking down towards Dale End. This part of the street suffered WW2 bombing. Viv.

I like it when I find photos of this part of High Street as many of the buildings were obliterated in WW2 and few clues are left of the earlier architecture. The view is again looking towards Dale End with the start of New Street to the left. This looks to be maybe around 1910. Viv.

24AD4F20-E1DF-406A-B0FE-4958CB2D8ADC.jpeg

lovely photo viv...i know one or two may have received bomb damage but most were just demolished...if only we still had them to look at and admire:(

A recent view of High Street with Metro Bank just having opened up on the corner with New Street. What do you think of this area now?

Think there was a lot of WW2 bomb damage Lyn on that corner and across the road. Viv.

C8E63458-7716-4F02-9D61-581D97D0C99E.jpeg

A recent view of High Street with Metro Bank just having opened up on the corner with New Street. What do you think of this area now?

Uninspiring, could be any street, any town or city, I take it there are CCTV cameras or similar up the mast in the left foreground. Here's a surreal thought might any of the people in this picture be related to any in the two older pictures? But it is nice to see that Metro Bank added a bit of colour. As a postcard collector Viv's old black and white postcard has much more appeal than this excellent colour view. Not a criticism Ell, because I enjoy your pictures, just that the B&W has a more evocative feel to it and especially in the picture showing the bomb damage, without colour you can feel the angst, worry and tragedy that has occurred...and of course that was when we knew what austerity meant. Stafford Cripps comes to mind. Happy days.

Bob

At least they are doing up what was Big Top. All the paths are now blocked off, so can't see what they are doing inside of that centre. Not sure what's replacing the old Primark on New Street, possibly H & M? If it wasn't for the WW2 bombing raids those "new" buildings wouldn't have got built! That corner used to be Vodafone.

This as it was last year before Vodafone moved out.

Back