• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Location wanted for this bus if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
The book has been quoted a couple of times in the thread;
This is the book. Available from Amazon or good booksellers.
1548615035748.png

Sorry but I think that "tarmac" is at the side of the church and is in what was the carpark.
Hi Janice,
I believe that we are talking about the side of St Luke's (on St Luke's Road) where the bus shelter appears in post #1. It would have been opposite Wycliffe Church and Sunday School. John

was just looking at the city centre pics thread and the number of this bus caught my eye...its our no 8 bus coming down new st :) moving this thread to the transport section of the forum

lyn

CVP 108New St..jpg

My crude guess as to what the building on the left of the original image might look like. The upper windows on the very left appear to have very unusual frames.

Attachments

• cmag008.jpg
    cmag008.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 20
My crude guess as to what the building on the left of the original image might look like. The upper windows on the very left appear to have very unusual frames.
That's an interesting layout of those windows on the left.

It's seems we all see things differently in images on our screens, but I suppose with different computers, browsers, and operating systems it happens.

I am sure the location is not Springhill Library. Nothing on the building in the bus pic matches the features of the library.

I was pretty sure about the Wycliffe Sunday School. The only pic we have shows the chimney pots and tower in the right places and other features match, but there does not appear to be a window layout similar to the one shown in the sketch in #281. I've searched for a pic of Horace Baxter's shoe repair shop but to no avail.

I've followed the route onwards from Bristol Road with old maps, aerial pics and street pics but am presently a bit lost near Saltley Gas Works and still not seen any buildings which match what we are looking for.

During the search I've seen interesting things but not related to the bus location.
I did not know about Childrens ( Middlemore) Emigration Home in St Lukes Rd but see a website about it and the BHF also has threads about it ...
edited to add correct name for Sunday School

Last edited:
Twice I have drawn attention to Springhill School in this thread but no one has commented.
It has many of the features, was on the 8 route and shares the name Springhill. It is a suggestion that library was the word used when it should have been school.
Get your thinking caps on folks, prove or disprove. :grinning:

Middlemore Homes was also in Weoley Castle Road, I was there with my 3 siblings in 1949 when my mother was in hospital, one night my brother and I escaped about 2 am, we only got halfway down Weoley Castle road and were met by a copper who said "where do you think your'e going", and promptly took us back, my mother signed herself out of hospital otherwise I would be in Canada.

Twice I have drawn attention to Springhill School in this thread but no one has commented.
It has many of the features, was on the 8 route and shares the name Springhill. It is a suggestion that library was the word used when it should have been school.
Can't find any photos of the school.

I did have a close look at the school on aerial pics and photos and it still shows on Google Earth but it did not seem to match. I will however have another look ...:)

I am tempted by the idea of Spring Hill School. or Icknield Street Boys Modern School as it is shown on the 1950 OS map, because of the tower. However studying Google Street View and the alignment of Icknield Street and Heaton Street as they were in the 1950s I cannot find an angle at which this could be possible. So, in my opinion it is not the school in Icknield Street.

Going back to post #59 of this thread, I produced a list of possible buildings by going round the route on a 1950's map of Birmingham. I checked out all these possibilities by viewing what photos I have and could find against the list and even checking what buildings are still standing today by using Google street view. I'm almost sure it is none of the buildings I have listed and therefore not on the regular number 8 route of those times, so I think the same as a few others that this bus is on a temporary diversion.

I have even tried checking out the possible routes from the depots used by the numbers 8 service vehicles to get to the closest part of the regular service route , but I did no better there either.

Having consulted with Holmes, Rebus, Inspector Gadget, and countless other detectives, I eventually turned to my old friend Poirot.....'use your little grey cells' he advised me. 'Is it possible that the bus is not on the No 8 route, but is in fact returning to Garage at the end of the day or proceeding to the No 8 route to start the day/' I said that it appeared to have a passenger downstairs.......'mais oui' he said 'that could be the conductor/conductress resting her plates after a busy day' I thanked him and thought that all of you who have made this such an enjoyable mystery....good enough for Peter Jackson to direct a BBC 4 two part documentary - would perhaps like to immediately cut me down to size and so no of course not, rubbish and even ruder nouns and adjectives. I only did the 8 circuit once and regret that that was only because as I got off the 5a, I saw an EOG Leyland, which I had never been on and thought this is a good chance to try one...it was just the same as all the other pre war buses.

Bob

Having consulted with Holmes, Rebus, Inspector Gadget, and countless other detectives, I eventually turned to my old friend Poirot.....'use your little grey cells' he advised me. 'Is it possible that the bus is not on the No 8 route, but is in fact returning to Garage at the end of the day or proceeding to the No 8 route to start the day/' I said that it appeared to have a passenger downstairs.......'mais oui' he said 'that could be the conductor/conductress resting her plates after a busy day' I thanked him and thought that all of you who have made this such an enjoyable mystery....good enough for Peter Jackson to direct a BBC 4 two part documentary - would perhaps like to immediately cut me down to size and so no of course not, rubbish and even ruder nouns and adjectives. I only did the 8 circuit once and regret that that was only because as I got off the 5a, I saw an EOG Leyland, which I had never been on and thought this is a good chance to try one...it was just the same as all the other pre war buses.

Bob
Can somebody get rid of the highlighted bold bit please.

Bob

You can edit your own posts.
Click 'Edit' and your post will appear.
Highlight the words and 'unbold' with a click on 'B'
With it still highlighted click the 'teardrop' icon to change colour.
Then save your edit .... :)
My edit to this post ... the words seem to be a link to an email so simply delete the words and retype Poirot.
Any type of link will always show as bold blue in posts.

Last edited:
Regarding buses returning to a garage. I did suggest that possibility that it was going to Roseberry Street. I did consider that unlikely in a later post I believe as the bus blind shows Inner Circle 8 which means it is on the complete route. A garage destination most likely would have been displayed or a short working blind showing a place name.
However, many BCT garages assisted in supplying the Inner Circle with buses since its inception in 1928.
In the time we are considering here late 1950's to early 1960's there we only a few garages involved. Liverpool Street became to principal supplier it is said assisted by Hockley, Roseberry Street and Highgate Road. Highgate Road closed in 1962.

In the time we are considering here late 1950's to early 1960's there we only a few garages involved.
The car behind the bus, at the crossroads, looks more 1960s than 50s. The bus shelter and its waste bin are the sort of design that I would think of as fairly typical of the late 1960s. Ditto the 'Keep Left' bollard. Just an impression, I wouldn't argue about it.

The problem here Spargone is that the bus was withdrawn from service in 1960. The photo (from the book) is dated at 1959.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back