• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Location wanted for this bus if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an aside, on the attached picture I wonder if the scaffolding was in place around St Luke's to remove the bell tower as mentioned in post #185?. John

Attachments

• Sun Street 1961.jpg
    Sun Street 1961.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 23
I also feel that the windows to the immediate front of the bus do not match the Sunday School. Spires, similar, were all over the city and chimney pots of a similar style where on a great many roof tops.

In addition to points on the picture:
1. The bus is on it's correct route in St Luke's Road
2. Sun Street is at the correct angle behind the bus
3. There are also bollards at the back of the bus although admittedly they appear to be a newer design.

John

Attachments

• wycliffe t.jpg
    wycliffe t.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 21
In addition to points on the picture:
1. The bus is on it's correct route in St Luke's Road
2. Sun Street is at the correct angle behind the bus
3. There are also bollards at the back of the bus although admittedly they appear to be a newer design.

John
This 1961 pic looking from Sun Street across Bristol Road towards St Lukes Church shows the bollards were indeed modernised.
Sun Street 1961.jpg

Another question. If the bus is on the opposite side of the road to the Baptist church and school and is at a bus stop, why is their another bus stop so close in Sun Street? - this stop is in the direction the bus is travelling. Stops, on the same route that close, would be unusual. 1961 is within a couple of years of the photo.

Google Earth 3D still shows St. Lukes Church, but of course Sun St. and St. Lukes Rd had long gone, as had the Baptist Church. But it gives a good view of what would be seen from Sun Street.

As to why the bus stops were so close together may be that passengers could alight either side of what presumably would be a busy Bristol Street?
84B96957-FAA1-46B8-91FF-2D711F75D1FA.jpeg

As to why the bus stops were so close together may be that passengers could alight either side of what presumably would be a busy Bristol Street?
Not sure it worked that way; the original suggestion of Icknield Street/Monument Road junction with Spring Hill didn't and that by the late 1950's was very busy. Was that part of Bristol Street dual carriageway at the time of the photo? I do not think it was and the post 216# suggests it was not.
However, I have made enquiries outside of this thread and hopefully more definite information may arise. :grinning:

Another question. If the bus is on the opposite side of the road to the Baptist church and school and is at a bus stop, why is their another bus stop so close in Sun Street? - this stop is in the direction the bus is travelling. Stops, on the same route that close, would be unusual. 1961 is within a couple of years of the photo.
The location of the bus stops seem perfectly normal to me. On the map below, Bus Stop 1 is the stop the bus is pulling away from in the original image in post#1. Bus Stop 2 is the stop shown in my image in post #216. The more I look at it all the more convinced I am that we have found the location.
download.jpg

27989FDC-F89C-4BF6-8094-2F83B88EA4CE.jpeg
Drat, the pictures in the reproductions of the Birmingham papers are really pony! This is an accident in April 1961 at the junction of Bristol Street an St Luke’s Road, between The No 8 and a brick Lorry.

Last edited:
Work undertaken to create a dual carriageway along Bristol Street from the Horsefair to Balsall Heath Rd. Edgbaston. June 1968, to take 12 months.

The point of the 3D picture was just to show the side of St Luke’s Church, and to compare to the 1961 picture. There is just a small section of St Luke’s Road left.

From google street view, St Luke's being demolished (July 2018) and St. Luke's GONE (August 2018). John
Sorry just realised there is a thread for St. Luke's, can somebody move this if it is in the wrong place. Thanks

Attachments

• st lukes demolition july2018.jpg
    st lukes demolition july2018.jpg
    827.1 KB · Views: 16
  • st lukes demolition aug2018.jpg
    st lukes demolition aug2018.jpg
    606.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
The location of the bus stops seem perfectly normal to me. On the map below, Bus Stop 1 is the stop the bus is pulling away from in the original image in post#1. Bus Stop 2 is the stop shown in my image in post #216. The more I look at it all the more convinced I am that we have found the location.

Phil

I have to disagree with you, I personally ruled St Lukes Road when it was first mentioned as none of the windows on either St Lukes & St Wycliffs match those in the photo at #1 of this thread. Also the road layout is different, between Bristol Street and Sherlock Street it is straight and there is no curve to the left as can be plainly seen behind the bus. There is also the fact that both churches have buttresses of which there are none on the original photo. Here is a photo looking across Bristol Street from the corner of Sun Street straight down St Lukes Road. The other thing was I have never heard of full bus shelters being erected for temporary diversions on bus routes.

Horsefair Wycliffe Baptist Church Bristol St 1956.JPG

I have taken the windows in question, in the very first post, to be the windows of the Sunday School preceeding the Wycliffe Baptist Church, of which we have not yet managed to find a picture.

Phil

I have to disagree with you, I personally ruled St Lukes Road when it was first mentioned as none of the windows on either St Lukes & St Wycliffs match those in the photo at #1 of this thread. Also the road layout is different, between Bristol Street and Sherlock Street it is straight and there is no curve to the left as can be plainly seen behind the bus. There is also the fact that both churches have buttresses of which there are none on the original photo. Here is a photo looking across Bristol Street from the corner of Sun Street straight down St Lukes Road. The other thing was I have never heard of full bus shelters being erected for temporary diversions on bus routes.

View attachment 131054

Looking from this direction on Sun Street, across Bristol Street and on to St Luke’s Road, with the Wycliffe on the right. The bus in question would be on the left as we see it and somewhere near the parked car in the distance.

Notice the lamp on the middle left hand side just poking into the picture. If we now swap to the first picture close to the Sunday School and in front of the bus, we see a lamp poking into the picture on the right hand side!

Phil

View attachment 131054
The building in the bus pic post#1 is of the Sunday School so would not show buttresses. St Wycliffes Baptist Church is completely behind the bus with only it's tower showing above the bus. The bus stop in Sun Street is just next to the pub as shown in #216 and the other bus stop appears to be opposite the Sunday School in the bus pic post#1.

Phil

View attachment 131054
In regards to the road layout of this photo, the positioning of the bollards shows that looking from St Lukes Rd, Sun St would indeed curve to the left. If it were a right angled cross roads the bollards would appear almost as one. I would also suggest that this photo is much earlier than the "bus" one (older type bollards) and there could have been some building work done on the school in the intervening years.

Some time in the late 1950s, it could have been because of the fuel crisis following the Suez Crisis, BCT did a big rationalisation of bus stops, cutting out stops that were close together on the same route. It could have been that there were stops each side of the Bristol Road on the no. 8 route.

Banjo

According to the date with the photo of St Wycliffs it was taken in 1956 the photo at post #1 is dated 1959

Phil

What about the fact that there is a full bus shelter shown on St Lukes Road for what would have only been a temporary division route, as far a I know there was never a permanent bus route that ran along this section of St Lukes Road.

The Birmingham Library give a Date:1955 - 1959 (c.) for the pic.
Someone earlier in the thread said the route was the Inner Circle. Until someone shows a different location with pics or valid information I'm staying with the Sunday School location ...:)

Phil

There was never a bus route along that section of St Lukes Road, earlier there was a tram route tat ran along the section from Belgrave Road to Sherlock Street, but that turned off at Sherlock Street. It has been suggested that St Lukes Road might have been used as a temporary diversion whilst Belgrave and Lee Bank Middleways were being constructed, but work didn't start on either of these projects until the late 60's early 70's at least that's what I seem to recall. It's possible that it might have used as a diversion route earlier sometime earlier but I still can't see a full bus shelter being erected for that purpose.

Whether the Inner Circle used St Lukes Rd I cannot remember but, I do remember that in the clockwise direction, the No8 came down Belgrave Rd and turned right at Pershore Rd (leading on to Sherlock St). The bus then stopped at the next bus stop for a while so, there must have been a bundy clock there. From that stop the way to get to Lee Bank Rd is to turn left into St Lukes Rd, over Bristol Street, along Sun St into Sun St West and on to Lee Bank Rd. The ariel photo arrows the church spire and it's shadow.The Inner Circle 8 Map.jpgArial photo.jpgInner Circle 8  Route.jpg

Last edited:
Banjo,When we used to catch the number 8 at the top of Belgrave Road nearly every Sunday morning as kids and ride round the whole route in the early 50's. The route we took was Belgrave Road to Bristol Road where it crossed over into Spring Vale, we then turned right into Spring Street and left into Sun Street West and straight on up Lee Bank Road.

What was the number of the bus that used this stop in Sun Street?

I would imagine that would be the number 8 when the route was diverted via St Lukes Road to accommodate local road works as has been stated already.

Post 6#, in this thread, shows a photo in the book on which the photo starting this thread appears.
In the same book (about the Inner Circle 8) on page 39, it shows two buses waiting to cross Bristol Street from Sun Street into St. Luke's Road. The photo is dated 1959.
So one may say that the bus stop in Sun Street is (was) for the 8.

Post 6#, in this thread, shows a photo in the book on which the photo starting this thread appears.
In the same book (about the Inner Circle 8) on page 39, it shows two buses waiting to cross Bristol Street from Sun Street into St. Luke's Road. The photo is dated 1959.
So one may say that the bus stop in Sun Street is (was) for the 8.
As pics from that book have already been posted is it possible to post the page 39 pic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back