• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Memories : Essence Of The 50s And 60s

I remember playing as a boy in the tiny garden at the front of our back-to-back that was down an entry in Sparkbrook's Long St of a Sunday morning, when there'd come the shout of, "Wakey, wakey!", from the radio inside as the Billy Cotton band show started. By then, my mother would be cooking father's breakfast and the smell of bacon, eggs, tomatoes and sausage would be wafting from the little kitchen (if one could call it that) window that was barred and without glass. My sister and me only got cereals and milk and my mouth used to water at the aroma of the fry-up. At the top of the entry was Mrs Spencer's little shop with its tin advertising signs outside for Brasso, Park Drive, R White's Lemonade, and the like. Worth a few pounds to collectors nowadays. I'd sometimes be sent in to buy loose cigarettes two or three at a time for my mother. When we wanted salt, Mrs Spencer would chip fragments from a large block and weigh them off on her old balance scales. Opposite us lived Mrs Lucas, a dear old soul who used to make us a currant cake with her own baking, which she'd give to us once a week or so and which was devoured gleefully. Such was community life down a typical Birmingham entry in the 1950s.

Regards, Ray T.

The Dustman - who actually collected what little rubbish we had from the front door
Our dustbin was kept at the back of the house. The dustmen had to open the back gate and walk down the passage to get the bin and always put it back afterwards!
Another smell that used to make me feel queasy was school milk (delivered in third of a pint bottles) especially when it was warm.

Our dustbin was kept at the back of the house. The dustmen had to open the back gate and walk down the passage to get the bin and always put it back afterwards!
Another smell that used to make me feel queasy was school milk (delivered in third of a pint bottles) especially when it was warm.

Attachments

• 2de9368ad1ebeb5e0eaac386b2dc9e4a--primary-school-the-school.jpg
    2de9368ad1ebeb5e0eaac386b2dc9e4a--primary-school-the-school.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 45
Don't forget the paper boy.
I remember doing my round during the freezing cold and snowy winter of 1962-1963.
It was a huge round on the night with Birmingham Mails and Despatches to seemingly every door.
On my first night out I got the Despatches and Mails muddled up and had to go back to every house to put it right. I was so late getting back home my Dad came out looking for me, and ended up helping me out. And all for 13 shillings and 6 pence (67 1/2 p to-day).
I loved my music, still do and remember buying my first record on the Saturday night with my first wages. Runaround Sue by Dion. 5 shillings I think.
Frozen jubilees, and Vimtos, Sherbet dabs, sweet cigarette's and tobacco, made from sweet coconut.
Chocolate smoking set at Christmas, pipe. cigarette's, cigars, lighter and matches. Jamboree bags.
Black jacks, 4 a penny.
Cleaning out the coal fire of ash in the mornings. Mum dong the washing in the old boiler which was outside in the alley, had to switch it on hours before Mum came home from work so the water would be hot for when she arrived. Putting the sheets through the attached mangle.
Spoonful of cod liver oil first thing in morning before school.
Comics Beano, Dandy, Topper, Beezer, Eagle, often had free weekly toy in them. Clappers were popular.
Being sent home early from school due to the fog. Sometimes you could not even see the road signs unless you were 6 inches from them.
Being told off by the local bobby for riding your bike on the pavement, or without lights, respecting him. Unthinkable today!
Not switching to long trousers until you started senior school. Wearing a school cap.
School dentist in his mobile caravan surgery. Always ended up with treatment, gas for extractions, sheer dread.
School playtime games, British Bulldog, Conkers, huge slides in the winter.
Sadistic PT teachers who made you hang on the wall bars without putting your feet on the rungs.
grabbing you by your ear and making you walk on tip toe as a punishment. Or was it just my school?
Making soap box trollies and track bikes. Dinky and Corgi toys, Train sets.
All wonderful days it seemed.
Try telling the kids today, and they wont believe yer.
Hi Elmdon Boy

Sorry I forgot the Newspaper boys! Where would we have been without them. My Nan and Grandad had the Birmingham evening mail delivered every day. Grandad would come in from work and sit in his favourite chair for his evening read. All you could see was the full news spread with two hands either side. My Nan saved the old editions and rolled the pages from corner to corner to make a tube which she then tied in a knot to make fire lighters. When lighting the fire she would also use an individual sheet which she would hold against the fireplace to 'draw' the fire. My job was to check that it didn't catch light during the process, which it invariably did. As the fire started to take my Nan would be saying "is it still OK" and I would reply "'Yes", fascinated by the little brown dot that would appear in the middle of the paper. This would rapidly grow into a large black circle that would suddenly burst into flame, leaving my Nan dancing around the kitchen trying to put it out. I would be in bits and she'd shout 'You little "bl**der"

And there was Suncap (I think that was the name), bottles of orange drink with a gold foil top we used to have as kids every Sunday morning. Delivered in an open-topped lorry and always ice-cold, I remember. Delicious!

Regards, Ray T.

Loving this thread, bringing back so many memories, isn't it funny how these memories are the same for so many of us from this era.
Yes my mum would leave my dinner on top of a saucepan if I wasn't around at the time, it was slightly dried up when I eventually came in, but still delicious , my Mum was a cracking cook.
The sound of the Sunday roast spitting in the oven as Billy Cotton shouted "Wakey Wakey". Alan Breeze shouting out "Hey you down there with the glasses".
Sunday evening listening to Alan Freemans Pick of the Pops and seeing if your favourite song was in the top twenty. I used to write out the positions on paper each week, seemed so important then.
For meals I loved liver and onion gravy with mash, still do. We used to have rabbit stew, and hearts with red current jelly. Home made treacle sponge, using golden syrup and custard. Queen of puddings.
I remember one Sunday tea in the summer, and as a treat we had strawberries and cream.
Sunday tea like Sunday lunch was taken in the posh front room. As we were eating are strawberries I noticed movement coming out of the cream as a maggot came out of the strawberry in my Dads dish.
I pointed it out to my sisters in no certain way and was told off for making a scene.
Funny how you remember these times, I always chop my strawberries in half now before eating.
Mr Whippy ice cream van, pink in colour, special treat in the summer.
Mum and Dad certainly looked after us considering they didn't have a lot of money. Didn't appreciate it at the time, certainly do now.
They always made sure we went on a seaside summer holiday, I know luxury really as many kids didn't have a holiday let alone see the sea.
They didn't have much money but one year 1959 Dad hired a car and we went to Weston. I remember we hadn't booked anywhere and they went round the guest houses looking for vacancies. Eventually they found somewhere that could put up 2 Adults, my 2 sisters and me in two rooms. I had to have a camp bed in my Mum and Dads room. Apparently they ran out of money on the 5th day and we had to return home. Dad just about had enough money for the petrol home. I was told later in my life that on the way home we kids wanted to stop for something to eat and drink, but when they put together what small change they had they could only just about afford to buy us kids a pop and sandwich. They couldn't afford even a tea for themselves. What sacrifice, and we didn't know a thing.
At Christmas Mum and Dad would buy smaller presents and split them and wrap them up individually to make it appear more presents to open up. We never noticed and I had a very happy childhood.
I never felt like I missed out on anything. Full credit to them.
Reading these posts, and remembering these past times makes me smile, but also makes me feel sad ,
they were such happy times, but its all gone now, brings a tear to my eyes.

Treacle sponge with Golden syrup - made one a few weeks ago for my 90 year old Dad. So it could be "essence of today" as well! !

Loving this thread, bringing back so many memories, isn't it funny how these memories are the same for so many of us from this era.
Yes my mum would leave my dinner on top of a saucepan if I wasn't around at the time, it was slightly dried up when I eventually came in, but still delicious , my Mum was a cracking cook.
The sound of the Sunday roast spitting in the oven as Billy Cotton shouted "Wakey Wakey". Alan Breeze shouting out "Hey you down there with the glasses".
Sunday evening listening to Alan Freemans Pick of the Pops and seeing if your favourite song was in the top twenty. I used to write out the positions on paper each week, seemed so important then.
For meals I loved liver and onion gravy with mash, still do. We used to have rabbit stew, and hearts with red current jelly. Home made treacle sponge, using golden syrup and custard. Queen of puddings.
I remember one Sunday tea in the summer, and as a treat we had strawberries and cream.
Sunday tea like Sunday lunch was taken in the posh front room. As we were eating are strawberries I noticed movement coming out of the cream as a maggot came out of the strawberry in my Dads dish.
I pointed it out to my sisters in no certain way and was told off for making a scene.
Funny how you remember these times, I always chop my strawberries in half now before eating.
Mr Whippy ice cream van, pink in colour, special treat in the summer.
Mum and Dad certainly looked after us considering they didn't have a lot of money. Didn't appreciate it at the time, certainly do now.
They always made sure we went on a seaside summer holiday, I know luxury really as many kids didn't have a holiday let alone see the sea.
They didn't have much money but one year 1959 Dad hired a car and we went to Weston. I remember we hadn't booked anywhere and they went round the guest houses looking for vacancies. Eventually they found somewhere that could put up 2 Adults, my 2 sisters and me in two rooms. I had to have a camp bed in my Mum and Dads room. Apparently they ran out of money on the 5th day and we had to return home. Dad just about had enough money for the petrol home. I was told later in my life that on the way home we kids wanted to stop for something to eat and drink, but when they put together what small change they had they could only just about afford to buy us kids a pop and sandwich. They couldn't afford even a tea for themselves. What sacrifice, and we didn't know a thing.
At Christmas Mum and Dad would buy smaller presents and split them and wrap them up individually to make it appear more presents to open up. We never noticed and I had a very happy childhood.
I never felt like I missed out on anything. Full credit to them.
Reading these posts, and remembering these past times makes me smile, but also makes me feel sad ,
they were such happy times, but its all gone now, brings a tear to my eyes.

wonderful memories elmdonboy...many i can relate to...i just dont know what it was about back in the day times....the sights sounds and smells are constantly with me especially when i read posts like yours...brings back all the happy childhood days when the world seemed a much calmer place to live in...ok our parents struggled well mine did having 6 kids but what a testament to them that we can talk about our childhood with such fondness and it is only as we grow older that we realise just what they did for us..bless them all i say.. having said that i know of many children within smaller families than mine who did not have a great childhood so for ours we must always be grateful...i certainly will

lyn

Last edited:
I know what you mean Lyn. I was an only child but now realise how my parents struggled at times. When I was 10 my Mom suddenly got a part time job - it was only when I was at college I realised it was probably to be able to pay for my uniform for grammar school - I was lucky enough to pass my 11+ but the uniform had to be bought from "The Donne" (remember that name? I think that is how it was spelt) and then later from Rackhams. We have much to be grateful to our parents for - in many different ways.

morning janice...sorry i dont recall the donne but i agree with you...i am the eldest of 6 but mom and dad knew how i really wanted to stay on at school an extra year to take my cse exams and get my shorthand and typing passes as i wanted to do office work....their youngest child was born the year i would normally have left seniors but mom and dad let me stay on when i could have easily been out working and bringing in some much needed extra cash and of course it was only when i really started to study social history that i realised what sacrifices they made...wonderful parents:)

lyn

The recurring theme from this topic, is what fantastic parents we had. No big screen tv`s, no fancy car, no mobile phones that parents today are obliged to buy their kids. Our parents worked hard for the little treats they gave us. On a sunny evening the whole family would go down to the pub, sit outside, kids with a fiery ginger beer & if we were lucky, a bag of Smith`s crisps with that little blue bag of salt. Every now & again a charabang trip to some exotic destination ( yes, Blackpool seemed exotic back then ) & of course our parents had supped a little libation & the singing would start on the journey back home ( I`ll take you home again Kathleen being a favourite) Wonderful times with wonderful parents who we probably took for granted that they would make us happy. Now i`m going to hide under the table whilst i dry my eyes.

The Donne was a "posh" shop at five ways - pulled down sometime in the 60s hence uniform then at Rackhams. My blazer had sleeves to my knuckles in the first year and above my wrist when I left - yes ONE blazer made to last!! Good job I didn't grow much.

We sometimes roasted chestnuts in front of the fire remembering to snip off the pointed bit first or they would explode. Also toasting bread and pikelets (now always seem to be called crumpets) on the end of a long toasting fork.

I had forgotten about the toasting fork! Used it if I stayed at my Gran's overnight. Lovely tasting toast - making my mouth water.

The recurring theme from this topic, is what fantastic parents we had. No big screen tv`s, no fancy car, no mobile phones that parents today are obliged to buy their kids. Our parents worked hard for the little treats they gave us. On a sunny evening the whole family would go down to the pub, sit outside, kids with a fiery ginger beer & if we were lucky, a bag of Smith`s crisps with that little blue bag of salt. Every now & again a charabang trip to some exotic destination ( yes, Blackpool seemed exotic back then ) & of course our parents had supped a little libation & the singing would start on the journey back home ( I`ll take you home again Kathleen being a favourite) Wonderful times with wonderful parents who we probably took for granted that they would make us happy. Now i`m going to hide under the table whilst i dry my eyes.

oh please dont smudge...you have started me off now as i can also relate to a lot of what you have said...thank you

lyn

bottles-of-milk-and-orange-juice-on-a-doorstep-delivered-by-milkman-BJG20B.jpg

An earlier post in this thread mentioned orange juice. I know it was often in a one third of a pint bottle but it seems you can still get it delivered to your doorstep albeit in 1 pint bottles.
I recall a lady who had digestive issues. She has to drink acid and the only way was to drink it with orange juice - this was in the mid 1950's. I guess these is a much better solution these days.

I used to like the baby orange the baby clinics supplied. I can'tell remember how old I was when it stopped. Also rose-hip syrup.

Oh I have enjoyed reading all these memories - really take me back in time. Especially the smells - Dad on Sunday lunchtime after a visit to the Greyhound (ciggies and beer) and the privet blossom, if I smell it today I'm back walking down Court Lane on my way to Sunday school at St Margaret's.
Lady P
How strange that you should mention the privet blossom. Recently whilst out walking past a privet hedge, I mentioned to my wife that they no longer seemed to smell as I remembered them smelling. She said that she had never been aware of a smell from a privet hedge and I said when you walked down Court Lane and on through Jerrys Lane to go to Slade Road to my Nans, there were two smells you were always sure of, the privet hedge and the Sunday roast accompanied by two way family favourites coming out of almost every house. Yet here in the West Country privet hedges don't appear to bloom or give off any smell. Mind you they are not as commonplace as they were in Birmingham. The other smell was bonfires on late summer evenings. However one smell that I have only savoured once since (at Belsen in Germany), the smell that came from a house that had been bombed, just once in my life, in Goosemore Lane I went passed a house that had been bombed and people killed in it (I was told) and it is a smell I can remember today. Not all of our remembrances are pleasant, but those that are outweigh the bad. By the way what was that pink thick medicine called. Two smells missing today...Wintergreen and embrocation or were they the same thing? By the way the upper deck of the bus on damp wet winters evening (especially if Villa had just lost) was an odour to remember. But is it not strange that you no longer get the friendly drunk on the bus, there was one regular on the 5a, jolly, talkative and always ready with a song.....happy days.

Bob

ee524b4f.jpg

May to September 1951,
I went with school from Solihull for the day. Secial bus from Paddington to the South Bank. Most of the morning and part of afternoon at exhibition then by bus to the Battersea Fun Fair, Special bus back to Paddington.
BCT bus JOJ 516 was an exhibit. I have a photo somewhere of it, supplied by BCT, but cannot locate it at present.

Oh yes Janice, forgotten the fiddly tabs ! I remember the cardboard cut out dressing dolls. After a while and through much use, the tabs would break off or lose their stiffness so they didn't stay put.

The toasting fork - and wasn't it comforting sitting in front of the fire toasting bread ? We used to do quite thick hand-cut slices - not sliced bread. Specially nice on a Sunday using the left-over beef dripping. Yum.

Viv.

On Friday 17th February 1956, ITV started broadcasting programs in the Midlands and we had two TV channels we could watch. It was broadcast from a separate transmitter mast and viewers needed an itv aerial.

I remember toasting beside the fire.
Dad was a car delivery driver during the 60s delivering new cars from the Austin all over the country, trade plate driver. On his return journeys if he came through Banbury he would stop off at this bakery and bring home lardy cakes and large round tea cakes a good 9 inches in diameter with sugar sprinkled on the top. These were sliced in half and toasted on the toasting fork. Then buttered, put together and cut into segments. Never see them now. They were lovely.
I remember in the winter my mum sitting right by the open fire and the one side of her legs would turn red in a kind of mottled pattern from the heat, which would take ages for it to disappear.
You sat by the fire and one side of you roasted while the other side froze.

Back