• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Acocks Green

dwilly

master brummie
Can anyone offer a reason why one of the buildings on the Warwick Road in Acocks Greens carries the Birmingham coat of arms, well not the complete arms? Is it purely decorative or something in the past? Its currently an exchange for cash type of shop but the coat of arms must have been there long before that.

Hi dwilly

It was the showrooms for Birmingham City Electricity Supply Co. Before being taken over by the MEB.

Next Door was Birmingham City Gas Supply Co, and next door to that was Birmingham City Municipal Bank.

Phil

The shop fronts often look the same and could be any street in any town but look up and you find the real character, and sometimes something interesting catches your eye!

Three charming views of the village - when it really was a village. Sorry no dates but all maybe around early 1900/10. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

On the last picture I can see the names of Wright and also Grindley. In 1905 Kelly's William Grindley is listed on Warwick Road Acocks Green as a tea dealer and next door is Edward Wright draper and fancy repository.

That's great Janice. Wright's decided to present their shop as a 'fancy bazaar'. I've seen this before (I think M&S presented itself as a bazaar). But why call it that ? To me it suggests places like Morocco - was this the influence? Viv.

Marks & Spencerx was originally a stall in Leeds Market Hall, and a market hall is a bit like a bazaar. I think later bazaar was used to indicate that a wide range of products was sold

The buildings on the right with second floor bay windows are still there, J.

Attachments

• Acocks Green - Warwick road 1900.jpg
    Acocks Green - Warwick road 1900.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 74
Marks and Spencer's original stall still exists in Leeds City market, i believe it sells memorabilia now.

Didn't there used to be a bank on that corner?

QUOTE="ellbrown, post: 604089, member: 16279"]That building on the right is still there. Was a Subway.

[/QUOTE]

The Building started out in life I believe as the Metropolitan Bank of England & Wales, when it eventually closed as a bank it was a branch of the Midland Bank.

a. green library..jpg a. green library a.jpg
These two photos of Acocks Green Library were taken in 2011 according to the text with both pictures. Could someone put a closer date on them because I am sure they are older than that.

This, I am sure, is 1932 and shows the opening of the library in Acocks Green. There is another thread here somewhere showing the remodelling of the same area of Acocks Green.

This, I am sure, is 1932 and shows the opening of the library in Acocks Green. There is another thread here somewhere showing the remodelling of the same area of Acocks Green.

I thought that was about the date actually but I did not know for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
The building is still there today and it is still Acocks Green Library. I always used it whilst at school and for a while afterwards.

View attachment 119657
Acocks Green post Office, Police Station and Fire station.
Been trying to place whereabouts of this picture! Acocks Green was changed so much in 1930's that earlier pictures are difficult to place. The post office was moved in 1912 so this is before that date. The lamp on the left reminds me of the one that hung on the front of the Britannia pub could it have been moved? I think there was an early fire station near the junior school so is this picture looking north by the junction of Dudley Park Rd and Warwick Rd.?
These threads about Acock's Green are like buses, you wait ages and then three come along at once. Thank you!

Acocks Green Police Station is still on Yardley Road (11C / 11A bus route)

There's a little old former fire station on Alexander Road.

Acocks Green Library is still on Shirley Road.

In terms of a post office, there is one in a WH Smith now on the Warwick Road.

Acocks Green Police Station is still on Yardley Road (11C / 11A bus route)

The fire station you show was opened in 1923 current fire station ,since 1993, now in Amington Rd. The Yardley Rd police station opened in 1909.Screenshot (152).png The 1993 fire station

There's a little old former fire station on Alexander Road.

Acocks Green Library is still on Shirley Road.

In terms of a post office, there is one in a WH Smith now on the Warwick Road.

Acocks Green Library did in fact open June 14th 1932 as has been stated, this is a photo of Ivy Cottage that stood on the spot previously

Acock Green Shirley Rd Ivy Cottage site of Library.JPG

acocks green tram terminus.jpg
I have posted this pic before but I can not find it, I am sure this is a better copy.
I was born in Acocks Green and I remember using trams with my parents on days out such as the Lickies but I never knew tat trams ran through A.G. village.

Acocks Green looking toward the New Inns from Warwick Road, early in the 20th century.

Acocks Green old New Inns.JPG

Back