• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

#3574, the young lad in the uniform of the " Worcestershire Regiment", wearing that awful, "Bradley Cap", quite a good photo Bernie.paul

I wonder if it is an electric tram. There were battery electric ones but also cable ones. If cable the buildings behind would be in Hockley where the winding engines and sheds were. Maybe this was a battery electric car used on the Bristol Road.

It says Bournbrook I think and that would be Bristol Road at Dawlish. I don't think 'that cocoa' would go down well in that area. So maybe battery but have no idea where the batteries would be.
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10116&ox=1264&oy=2585&zm=1&czm=1&x=547&y=123

The sheds says tramway stable at the time of the map so perhaps the tramcars were horse drawn at first. The doors look a bit like stable doors don't they. The track on the map does not curve in like the photo but it probably was changed to do so and it looks like the buildings behind the tramcar could match. Better photo below.

Attachments

• Bournbrook_Tram Dawlish Rd..jpg
    Bournbrook_Tram Dawlish Rd..jpg
    96 KB · Views: 46
Rupert is right this is a battery tram. I have managed to find a photo of the same or similar tram. Sorry my scan is not too clear
Battery Tram.jpg
The batteries were stored behind the lower panels of the bodywork

This may help...I am not a tram nerd, so it is pretty baffling to me...but it is in David Harvey's book...and he very very much is THE guru...

tram.jpg

Can only find Little Bow Street but we have a photo of that. This is still there in the same place but now between two tall buildings and it does not seem to have a function. It's not named now like Peck Lane which is also now only an access passage.

Dennis
This subject has been on the forum before at https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=27436, though unfortunately the images have been lost twice. I think the report below was the original report that sparked the interest (which incidentally, with the original thread on the forum, pre-dates the report in the Bugle). I also attach gravestone pictures from the original post and a map showing little Hill St off Bristol St, just south of little Bow St, and an original report, though this is rather large, and to read it it will be necessary to save and enlarge the saved file.

gravestone.jpg

gravestone_2.jpg

map_c1839_showing_little_hill_St.jpg

gravestone_1.jpg

gamesonDec1863.jpg

00 the plogh and harrow.jpg00 the dog and partridge.jpg00  The oak.jpg00 the brook.jpgThe lost pubs of Selly Oak another mail nostalgia piece no1The Plough and Harrow no2 The Dog and Partridge no3 The Oak no4 The Brook

Dennis
This subject has been on the forum before at https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=27436, though unfortunately the images have been lost twice. I think the report below was the original report that sparked the interest (which incidentally, with the original thread on the forum, pre-dates the report in the Bugle). I also attach gravestone pictures from the original post and a map showing little Hill St off Bristol St, just south of little Bow St, and an original report, though this is rather large, and to read it it will be necessary to save and enlarge the saved file.

With grateful thanks mike...that is fantastic....

Thanks David. I think people who founded Alms Houses were very good people. I wondered about the Lench name as Shropshire's Acton family gave their name to lots of villages.

0000010151863_1427153657534634_2976551094417491332_n 1920s.jpg000010155615_1427146764201990_3420277896641404742_n.jpg000010012600_1427147074201959_7760698186068124443_n1912.jpg00001607060_1427147334201933_632220805539371900_n 1900.jpgA few old pics of Small Heath Park 1 a blacksmiths trade show at the park 1920s 2 paddling pool 1958 3 frozen lake 1912 4 in the park 1900s

berniew. Lovely pictures. Enjoyed many a pint in the old pubs of Selly Oak. Best pint of Guinness you could wish for in the Prince. Oh happy days!!
jimbo

It was a special treat to go paddling at Small Heath Park, I was about six when that photo was taken, thank you for bringing back special memories with my mother and siblings

Small Heath Park photos reminds me of my father in 1940. He was rescued at Dunkirk, and upon his return to England was initially stationed at Dover Castle, but then was posted to Small Heath Park. My mother took me to see him (one of the few occasions that we had together). When we arrived, we found him sitting in the boat house drying out his clothes. Apparently he had fallen into the boating lake, as indeed had two or three other soldiers. Messing around I guess. He was then posted to Belfast, and we saw him once more, just before D Day.

Back