• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very sad photo. The boy looks like he's wearing a hand - me - down coat that's enormous but hopefully it kept him warm. Maybe that's his sister sitting on the floor in the passageway. She seems to be huddled up. Probably one persuasive picture for getting rid of the slums. In fact the buildings look like they were close to demolition. Would that little door to the right of the boy be a coal cellar, the door being through which you'd get a shovel of coal? That is, assuming you could afford the coal of course. Viv.

I've seen a number of photos on the forum where policemen are controlling traffic, often wearing white macs. Probably not their favourite job. These days they might ask why you were taking a photo in a public place. I think the man under the awning could be carrying a tin bath.
I reckon he's a German spy and he's just nicked a bouncing bomb.

I always like looking at this busy scene of Snow Hill Passenger Entrance. I remember those roadside flower sellers out in all weather conditions and remember some at bottom of Corporation Street. The bloke in the black car seems to be pushing over the zebra crossing or he didn't pull up quickly enough. That entrance was a handy meeting place or the gateway to holidays etc, it was always busy.
Snow_Hill_Entrance.jpg

Last edited:
The caption I should like to offer is:

The Kid (in specs) rashly announced "the Milky Bars are on me" and all were united in their rush to the sweet shop along Anderton Street.

Viv.
Lady is saying "can't wait until i move into that new flat on the nineteenth floor away from all these kids, Heaven:triumphant:".

The comment by Old Mohawk reminds me of the time, when I was about eight years old, becoming separated from my Nanny and her friends in Corporation Street. I wasn't 'lost', so as to speak, because I knew exactly where I was and how to get home. I think Nanny and her companions had gone into a store but I had been far too busy - probably looking at the buses and trams in Martineau Street, to notice their movements.

It was a busy Saturday so I went to one of the flower sellers, poured out my tale of woe and was given the 'tuppence' bus fare home that I had requested. Nanny arrived home some hour or so later and I was surprised to get away with a very light scolding. It has only just dawned on me, some sixty seven years later, that the flower sellers may have been consulted, or seen or heard the requests about a 'lost young boy', so she may well have known that I was safely on my way home. She never let on, however. :friendly_wink:

I always like looking at this busy scene of Snow Hill Passenger Entrance. I remember those roadside flower sellers out in all weather conditions and remember some at bottom of Corporation Street. The bloke in the black car seems to be pushing over the zebra crossing or he didn't pull up quickly enough. That entrance was a handy meeting place or the gateway to holidays etc, it was always busy.
Snow_Hill_Entrance.jpg

It's in this post https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8484&p=423667#post423667

This man is intriguing. Is he a porter? Flat hat, fag hanging out of a corner of his mouth..one of the many characters of these places. viv.

It was a busy Saturday so I went to one of the flower sellers, poured out my tale of woe and was given the 'tuppence' bus fare home that I had requested.
Great story Radiorails - The flower sellers were in several of the city centre roads. Here is a picture of one in Corporation St. She is wearing a plastic cover on her head because it has been raining - the image comes from about 2min 20sec into this video clip link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFGLNvBMmBo
Flowersell_28Medium29.jpg

A couple of the old ladies who used to sell flowers outside Rackhams used to live in my Dad's Yard in Gosta Green.

He's got some nerve driving a herd of pigs along Deritend although it was back in 1903. No one seems put out by it. I wonder if he had driven them all the way from a farm...and where's he going to ?
old_crown_1903.jpg

Last edited:
Re post # 101, I'd say he's driving them to market. It's almost as though the ancient Old Crown and the herd of pigs have been fast forwarded to the 20th century. How funny that most people seem to be looking at the pigs snuffling their way through Deritend, yet the two little boys heading towards Heath Mill Lane seem totally oblivious. One of the great photos on here, and like you say, wouldn't it be great to know a bit more about where they'd travelled from. Viv.

Snow_Hill_Entrance.jpg

It's in this post https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8484&p=423667#post423667

Perhaps the driver of the car is in pursuit by the police and is trying to land on the black stripes amongst the dark suited pedestrians to avoid detection....

Re. post 106. They look like some sort of models or theatrical types to me. The ringlet hair looks odd for the1960s, hence why I say theatrical types. Wonder what the building is to the left? A theatre maybe? Viv.

What a great thread,i really enjoyed looking at the photos and having a smile at the comments. I just about remember High Street like that,the News Theatre,Kardoma Cafe,Marks and Spencers and ,the Co-op on the right side but i only remember Henrys on the left opposite the news theatre i think. Angela.

Hi old mowhawk ;
just gotta say that i think those pictures are a steal of a gem ;
and on the subjct of the old man crossing the two figures he is passing looks like to bus inspectors
i am not to sure whether he his wearing a apron or its just the wnd blowing is trousers and its every chance he his carrying his paper from the news
seller and which to me looks like its out side lewis,s store the arch way from years ago before they changed it and made it the minories
and in the days of old henrys stores was facing and greys stores
but any way great two pictures and have your self a great day ; and as shaw taylor used to say on police five
keep them peeled ; ah ; best wishes Astonian;

I don't think potatoes were rationed in the war, I seem to remember a cartoon called 'Potato Pete' telling you ways to enjoy them.
Nick

Thats correct brummie nick and that photo was not taken during the war years nor the rationing years either
it was taken around the years of 1953 55 years as a kid i recall thatat thompsons and going to fetch some for my mother
as we lived next door to ansells brewery and you know as the other members my mothers family was running all the tea shops around the cross
plus old mrs gough told us all about the cheap pototoes for a penny it was a promtion and a inclutt from eversham farm
thats how it came about you only got one scoop of spuds per person it was all running around the terrace of thompsons special offer
some of the women went there selves and some sent there kids dasking down with a bag before they all went and they came from honeybourne
and i will not say no more on that one regarding honeybourne
have a nice day best wishes Astonian;;

Thanks for your comments Gentlemen. I will always remember that ladies kindness: but she probably had children herself so was thus so understanding.

Regarding the pic of the main entrance to Snow Hill railway station I agree with Alan (Astonian) that the two uniformed gentlemen are probably BCT employees. One looks very much as an Inspector; the other I am not sure about. Maybe he is a driver awaiting to take over a bus at that terminus. The only reason I say driver is that the uniform looks a little different in style as does the hat. But then, I have tired old eyes .:friendly_wink:

I was amused when I first noticed the man walking along a city pavement with a wheelbarrow. Perhaps he bought it in Lewis's and is carrying his shopping in it.
In the other pic there seems to be a queue forming at the Mikado and its open on Sundays.
mikado_cafe.jpg
Mikado_cafe_2.jpg

Last edited:
I think the two uniformed men outside the main entrance to Snow Hill Sttaion were both bus inspectors. They do not look like drivers as BCT drivers and conductors had their PSV badges as cap badges.

Topsyturvey, I loved the photo and the article that went with it. It reminded me of the late 50s when Raymond (Mr Teasey Weasy) had a hairdressing salon in New Street next door to the Odeon. It was upstairs and very with it. I remember having a pink streak done there at one time, and then a lavender one!!!

yJudy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back