• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

Bishopsgate Street courtyard

Sorry not working, maybe because they've been posted before.

Amazing Lyn. A real complement to the Alleyways and Backstreets threads, and such brilliant quality posts. I am so gobsmacked that I have old relatives from almost all these old addresses in Aston and Deritend...it really brings it home how poor they all were....thank you so much for starting this great project and to all the wonderful postings and stories...better than any book..

One from my paternal side's end...Woodcock Street...hope it hasn't been on before, but the old lady is well worth an airing in any event.

Woodcock Street 1930.jpg

always liked the icknield port road one bernie..the date and the way the kids are dressed reminds me so much of my own childhood...

hi dennis it is going well isnt it...thats a cracker of pic you posted...love the older lady and those steps down look very steep to me..also note the milk bottles on the window sill..dad was a window cleaner back in the day and he tells me many of his customers would leave his money on the window sill if they were going out...wouldnt get that happening today lol..

cheers

Last edited:
Aston old housing2_edited.jpgAston old housing3.jpg

A couple of photo which have been on my computer for quite a few years now, sorry but I cannot remember who sent them on to me......

If there are any duplicates, and I know of two , plese delete them . I can,t remember where these pics came from so if any are yours originally please accept my appologies . My favorite is the shop in Icknield Square Lyn lots of atmosphere and adverts
Bernie

hi aston lad..brill pics i have never seen those before..would love to know the locations..thought the writing on the wall in pic 1 would be a clue but it says ball games not allowed in this area...looking at pic 2 only one or poss 2 famlies at most left living in that yard...

lyn

hi aston lad..brill pics i have never seen those before..would love to know the locations..thought the writing on the wall in pic 1 would be a clue but it says ball games not allowed in this area...looking at pic 2 only one or poss 2 famlies at most left living in that yard...

lyn

Lyn... I don't know where these were taken.....Rod Birch amd myself many years ago sent begging emails to a few people asking if they had any old photo's we could use on the website we were planning to build, we did get a few , these were two of them.....

Lyn... I don't know where these were taken.....Rod Birch amd myself many years ago sent begging emails to a few people asking if they had any old photo's we could use on the website we were planning to build, we did get a few , these were two of them.....
hi ya aston lad, the two pictures are of lawrence st gosta green, terry

Thanks Bernie, will show that to mom when I go down. The family lived at 42, which was on the corner of Bordesley Street, directly opposite the Typhoo tea factory. The pic you have put on was taken in the year I was born, Kate - or Black Granny - as mom knew her had died in 1958.
Sue

There were three terraces in Lawrence Street Gosta Green A, B, & C, terraces the photos posted earlier are a front and back view of one of these as already confirmed.

Attachments

• Nechells Lawrence St Terrace.jpg
    Nechells Lawrence St Terrace.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Nechells Lawrence St.jpg
    Nechells Lawrence St.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 98
Hurst street date unknown?

Sdc10534.jpg

Back