• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Shops Muntz st/The Cov

Hi All.

I have so enjoyed reading this thread. Phils pictuires are great and I feel that the one, on Post 10, epitomises the changing age. The lady pushing the, not quite old fashioned, pram and the little girl pushing a similar dolls pram.. You rarely see dolls prams today as little girls must not grow up to believe that they will be wives and stay at home parents. Finally amidst all the vehicular traffic is a horse and cart. They must be amongst the last in Small Heath.

I was born and grew up in Carlton Road which was next to Victoria Street along Green Lane. I possibly knew the father of sistersue61. Perhaps we went to Somerville Road school together. I have great difficulty recalling names these days but I do recall a lad named Wilf in Victoria Street.

Jan, you probably went to Somerville Road school. If so do you remember a teacher Miss Hobday? She also was a pupil at the school in my day. Not many children grow up to be teachers in the school they attended.

Old Boy

Carolyn

I remember the Nest formerly the New Inns on the corner of Swanage Rd. I only ever used it once I think before it changed its name when I was visiting a relative who lived in Charles Rd for a short time.

Phil

I think only the back room was called the nest at one time.

Around 1956 my father ran a newsagents opposite Small Heath Park I think it was called Swanells, I remember going over the road to the park to go to the paddling pool.

Old Boy,
Dad moved from Victoria Street to Stechford in 1939 and went to Holy Family church on the Cov, his family were cathloics.
Interestingly though, other family members who we think became estranged for some reason, lived in Carlton Road in the 1920s, their name was Payne and it was William and Hannah the parents.
Regards, Sistersue61

I remember Maturis very well.When I worked at the Blues ground in the late 1960's all our mowers were sent there for repairs and maintainance.

Don't think I missed it on the posts, but does anone remember the name of the shop on the Cov opposite Maturis towards Muntz Street that sold everything? Query is off dad, he remembers going there to buy quilts and bedding - not Brentford nylons, he says before that, shop used to sell allsorts, not just linen.
Also, not shops as such but mom remembers walking from Town to see the Human Cannonball in Small Heath park, she thinks in the early fifties?
Sue

Don't think I missed it on the posts, but does anone remember the name of the shop on the Cov opposite Maturis towards Muntz Street that sold everything? Query is off dad, he remembers going there to buy quilts and bedding - not Brentford nylons, he says before that, shop used to sell allsorts,

Is the shop your Dads talking about named - Brierly's?

My wife used to work for a man named Peter Flint on Cov Rd. The shop sold sewing machines, and was on the corner of Muntz St. This was round about 1968'1969.

Barrie.

I think the Garden Shop was called Turners.. it was still there in the 90s but not no more, also the Big bakery Windmills (i Think) became 3 cooks.. My uncle used to work there, we as kids would seekaround back and pinch the goods..

My Father worked at "Houses the Bakers" with a shop in Muntz St and access to the bakery round the back streets, it was just before Muntz St bends near Green Lane, I think the frontage has now been demolished with the old bakery now used as a car workshop!

Hi All,

I remember the bakers "House". I passed it every day on the way home from Somerville Road School. I would look longingly at all the lovely cakes on display and then go home to my tea of bread and dripping, which I probably enjoyed as much as I would the cakes.

Old Boy

Hello
My first post here on the BHF, so please bear with me. I was drawn to this thread because my great uncle, David Nutting had a general store in Muntz Street. He was there in the early 1930's but have no idea when he started or how long he had it. If I get this right, you'll see a picture of him in front of it. Does anyone have any more information? Thanks

Photo unfortunately lost
pencil.png

Last edited by a moderator:
He was at 160 Muntz st. in 1920. & 1922.

David Nutting
Ada Nutting
Henry David Nutting
Percy Clarence Nutting.

in 1925 Henry David Nutting is at 158 Muntz St, and David Nutting is at 160 Muntz St with Ada and Percy Clarence.

in 1935 Ada is no longer listed but David, Percy Clarence, and Doris Lillian Nutting are.

in 1939 David is listed along with along with Percy Clarence and Doris Lilian Nutting and an Archibald Price.

in 1945 these are the voters at 160 Muntz St;
David Nutting
Percy C Nutting
Doris L Nutting
Henry D Nutting
Emily B Nutting.

Hope this is of use.

Barrie.

Your link comes up as an invalid attachment for me I'm afraid.
Kellys list David Nutting at 160 Muntz St as a shopkeeper 1899-1912 and as an incandescent gas fittings dealer for 1913 -1921. By 1932 it is Grange Trading Ltd overmantle manufacturers.
Mike

Both Henry David Nutting, and Percy Christopher Nutting served in WWI.

Neither of them entered France, so were possibly Territorial Army, these are the details;

Henry David Nutting. 835729 Royal Field Artillery.

Percy Clarence Nutting. 85667 19th Coy. 8th Res Btn Machine Gun Corps.

Barrie.

Hello
My first post here on the BHF, so please bear with me. I was drawn to this thread because my great uncle, David Nutting had a general store in Muntz Street. He was there in the early 1930's but have no idea when he started or how long he had it. If I get this right, you'll see a picture of him in front of it. Does anyone have any more information? Thanks

.View attachment 68874
pencil.png
Hi there, just joined so I hope you see this! David Nutting was my dad's great grandfather. My dad remembers the general store really well. He was always in and out of it! The names you've got on previous posts were my dad's grandad and nan and his father (Archibald Price) I would be really interested to see any photos you've got of the shop and any Nuttings! I looked here because I was trying to get a fe photos together for my dad as a xmas pressie so if there is anything I can have a copy of that would be great. Also if you have any specific questions I will try and find out for you. Thanks and hope you see it!

Hi in the early sixties I lived at 120 Grange Road and we shared the yard with the outsie loo with the first three properties in Muntz Street . There was a Mrs Nutting who owned the hardware shop still living there and her daughter a Mrs Price lived at 119 Grange Road ' which was next door to the shop . The shop was on the corner of Grange Road and Muntz Street .
Bernie

Hi Bernie Mrs Price was my dad's mom and my dad would have lived there. He got married and left in 1966. I'll have to ask him if he remembers you.!

Hi Natty we lived there from about 61 to 70 your folks left a few years before we did my surname is Wright have a brother Terry abd sister Christine my mom's name was Nancy and my dads Bill .
Bernie

My aunt Jane Kilmister b 1901 was married to a John Nutting b 1903. They lived at 3 Bromley street around 1926

Hi Frothblower - don't think this would have been part of our family as I believe they were in Grange Rd/Muntz St at that time. Thanks though.

Bernie I will ask my dad, his name is Terry Price and he had a brother Graham, and a sister Wendy.

hi sorry to keep posting but have just found out something else that I wondered if anyone could help me with. I think DAvid or Henry Nutting who had the shop in Muntz Street had a factory producing overmantles somewhere in Birmingham. Apparently the factory burnt down. I don't know if we can find anything out about this (whether there was any info/newspaper cutting? or anything). Anyone can help that would be great.

Natty

There was a Grange Trading Co. Overmantel Manufacturers at 160 Muntz St in the 1937 Edition of Kelly's, but its no longer there in my next edition dated 1950.

Phil

Hello All,

I stumbled across this forum whilst doing various google searches so thought I would post. My great grandfather was Antonio Maturi who founded Maturi's in 1898. It was later run by my grandfather Victor.....and is now run by my dad! The shop on the Coventry Road was closed about 5 years ago, but only becuase they relocated to Whitmore road (just around the corner) where it is still trading from... https://www.mowerspares.co.uk/ShopBuild2009/photo109.html

The new shop is now built on the original site of the garages/workshops that used to house the grinding vans that somebody mentioned earlier in this post! The company no longer does the hardware side of things as it focuses solely on the lawnmowers & spare parts but it does still sharpen tools, scissors and knives, all in house and by hand.

Believe it or not, considering the company has been in existence for 114 years we have relatively few old photo's of the shops and no photo's of the grinding vans. If anyone has any they could post or send to me I'd be very grateful.

Quick history for those interested:

Founded in 1898 by Antonio Maturi after he and his brothers had emigrated from Italy, originally sharpening knives on the back of a bicycle powered grindstone.
His brothers founded similar companies, one in Northfield/Selly Oak (I think) and one in Leeds.
Opened a shop in the early 1900's at 259 Coventry Road (opposite the Blues ground, where the houses are now)
Opened a shop at 125 Ladypool road around the same time.
Moved to 393 Coventry Road around 1935, and a couple of years later bought the current plot behind 393 Cov Road on Whitmore Road
There was also a shop on the Birmingham Road Sutton Coldfield for a number of years.

The Ladypool Road shop closed in the 80's, the Birmingham Road shop closed in the late 90's, and we moved from the Coventry road around 2007

Thanks Everyone, great to learn about the history of the area where my family have been based for so long!

There was a 'cardrome?' on the Cov Road also. My late uncle was a security man there for a while, but I cannot remember the name, further up on the same side was Kwik Save, Tesco, and of course Woolies. Nat West Bank opposite.

Re:Maturis hardware store,the family was related to the movie star Victor Mature(changed name from Maturi),perhaps ppm1978 can shed some light?

Back