• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

Ah yes...Bath Street, that was it (well, it starts with "B" doesn't it)?!!
Lyn: only went in for a peek at the inside, we'd had a drink and lunch in the Bull.
Nice friendly Slovakian chap running the place, spotlessly clean, layout similar to the Bull but more modern, smashing patio area, big snooker table in the back room.
Negatives: Music far too loud, place empty @ 2.30pm on Saturday (he's trying to get more people in at weekends, OK during the week) and a large fruit machine (one of my pet hates).
Attn of Frothy: Didn't see what ale they were selling. I wasn't with Don otherwise he'd have sampled any good stuff!

thanks for the info charlie..last time i was in there it left a lot to be desired but obviously new management now...may take a peek one of the days...

lyn

Ah yes, Ray, but the pubs you name were toffs' pubs! Back in the sixties it was only the rough dives that seemed to bother with jazz bands, which was the reason we went to them. Some of the pubs in the Jewellery Quarter were a bit more up-market, as they were used by local small businessmen, and deals would be done in them, so a better standard of comfort was indicated. Even the old Salutation on Summer Lane was a bit on the basic side when it came to customer comfort.

G

I have been away for a couple of days and this thread has moved on three pages. Reference to The Salutation reminded me of the song "Way down in Summer Lane" and the lines

You ought to see the palm trees swaying way down Summer Lane.
Every Saturday night there’s a jubilation
Hear the Birdies singing in The Salutation

hi david yes there was plenty of trees standing around mst pubs in brum years ago there was very few pubs with out the trees on the rd ;
it was a pity the green society was not around to defend them in those days all around summer lane lady pool rd belgrave rd there pubs had them
so now we are ending up with no pubs nor trees in sight ; what a crazy world we live in i say ; astonioan ;;;;

I have been away for a couple of days and this thread has moved on three pages. Reference to The Salutation reminded me of the song "Way down in Summer Lane" and the lines

And it goes on:

There ain't no snow in Snow Hill,
No need to catch a train.
'Cos when it's winter-time in the Argentine
It's summer down Summer Lane!

I've seen at least one other verse to this ditty somewhere on the internet, but can't remember where and a quick search a moment ago didn't locate it. It might be here on the BHF somewhere. My dad used to 'perform' it when he'd had a few.

G

My mom used to sing she learn't it from the bloke who wrote it,when she was a girl living in Brearley St.

About the somg called “Way down Summer Lane”. It was composed by Bert Mallet who lived in Brearley Street, so here goes;Now if you’re friends from the country for a day or two,
Take them round the town all the sights to view.
First in Cutler’s for a drink you’ll call, you show
Then the fountain and the Old Town Hall.
Then along Colmore Row, the car you can catch,
To see the Water Melons on the old Black Patch.
But there’s one sight you must not miss.
Before your friends say goodbye, just mention this.
Though there’s snow in Snow Hill,
You’ve cause to take the train.
To your southern home where the weather is warm
It’s always summer in Summer Lane
Now you keep on sighing for your Dad and Mam
Your Mason Dixie Line and your alabam.
You say you’ve heard your Tennesse call,
Yet you never saw Tennesse at all.
And your songs from Mandy Land have been done Brown
So let’s have a song about your home town.

Last edited:
Ray, many thanks for posting the lyrics to "Way Down Summer Lane". I wonder if it's ever been recorded, or if the sheet music exists.

G

Ray, many thanks for posting the lyrics to "Way Down Summer Lane". I wonder if it's ever been recorded, or if the sheet music exists.

G

When I posted the original reference to this song in post 814 above, I looked up the lyrics. At that time I thought I had a recording by Mad Jocks and Englishmen but have been unable to find it. I have not responded to comments about the song as we are in danger of going off topic so I refer you to the thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=26830 about this song.

I remember Mad Jocks And Englishmen and I think they're still performing. Will look on YouTube when I have a moment. Thanks.

G

I'd just like to say a big 'thank you' to everyone who helped with the lyrics of the Summer Lane Song, and an especially big 'thank you' to Terry who sent me a recording of it.

G

Thanks for all these old pub photo's Stitch...never knew there were so many,sad really, I must have missed some of them,and now they are gone.

Hello Ray, there were so many all over Birmingham but most are now gone never to return. All the black & white ones are what I have collected over the years but the boarded up or coloured ones have been given to me by others. I have said before that I have never been a drinker so I have never entered the vast majority of them

The Coach & Horses, Castle Bromwhich

Attachments

• 1927. Coach & horses, Castle Brom..jpeg
    1927. Coach & horses, Castle Brom..jpeg
    340 KB · Views: 75
View attachment 79979 Manor Arms Cato Street

Not very good at this not been on the site for a while. I do not know how to replace photographs but this was one I posted sometime ago it looks as if it is a ladies day out from the local pub. I think my grandma must be there somewhere, not sure what year it is though just thought it was two very old charabang.

Attachments

• 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 37
Hi Would any one have a photo of the Minerva Public House in Great Hampton Row as I have just found my Grt Grandfather lived just a couple from the pub at # 13 in census 0f 1911 would be nice to see if his house is on photo

Hi Pete

This is / was The Minerva on Great Hampton Street

Attachments

• Hockley Great Hampton Street Minerva Vaults.jpg
    Hockley Great Hampton Street Minerva Vaults.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 80
Many Thanks Phil.... I have seen the one that they now call the Hampton !! how do the get away with this sort of wilful damage...

Regards Pete

My brother-in-law now deceased was the licensee of the Minerva Vaults about 40 years ago.

Dolphin. 1952.jpeg 1952.
I have posted a picture of The Dolphin before but this image from todays newspaper is from a different angle.

thanks for the pic phil of the minerva..not easy to find..need to change your caption on this one..its on the corner of gt hampton row (not street)/ and mott street..

lyn

Back