• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

I know the White Swan in Harborne is still standing but it would be lovely to see an old picture of it wouldn't it? Jojo

I had to have a blood test for something or other one day. My brother and I called into the Duke of York for a 'quick one'. When I finally got to hospital the blood test was useless. I had to go back for another one bypassing the Duke and the Swan. Jojo :stupid:

DukeOfYork.jpg
This is/was The Duke of York, on Lordswood Road, near to the junction with High Street. It was demolished a number of years ago and a large block of luxery apartments have occupied the site for a coupl of years now.

Beloe is an advertising page on the white Swan c 1950. It is from "Time Please" by Andrew Maxim

white_swan_hagley_rd_c_1950B.jpg

My 'puter shows there are 207 pub photos in this thread and there is only one repeat ....:encouragement:

Hello oldMowhawk, is that brilliant or what? I still have a few to go so the number of repeats may go up a little but I hope not.

Soho Road.jpg
Whats the name of this pub on Soho Road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats the name of this pub on Soho Road.
I went to bed too early for this one - the 'very old Red Lion' shows in #412 and a 'new Red Lion' colour pic shows in #413.
Sticher's latest photo in #531 does not count as a repeat because it is a different photo...:untroubled:

Thanks for the information oldMowhawk, the picture is actually an old postcard.

birmingham_b1_holloway.jpg
The Holloway, Holloway Head.

Last edited by a moderator:
img665.jpg
This old pub was featured in the Mail twice last week.
The Great Stone Inn, Church Road Northfield. 1936.

little-bromwich-image-2-685454166.jpg This one was in the newspaper a few days ago.
A bit before my time.

The Old Engine that stood at 49 Dale End that part of Dale end between Coleshill St and Masshouse Lane (see map). It must have been demolished early last century.

Phil

Attachments

• Old Engine.JPG
    Old Engine.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 75
  • City Old Engine Dale End 1865.JPG
    City Old Engine Dale End 1865.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 92
  • City Old Engine Demolition Dale End.JPG
    City Old Engine Demolition Dale End.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 97
I noticed this old pub 'The Royal Exchange' in the Alma Street thread. A different 1956 view of it appears in post #397 of this thread where it looks a 'working' pub, but in this colour pic the large window seems boarded up, could closure be on the way? - unless the window had been accidently broken.
Image4_The_Royal_Exchange_the_junction_Alma_St___High_St.jpg

Back