• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

The Queens Head, Steelhouse Lane. Used to drop in there for a sandwich and a drink on my way down to Gosta Green for night school in the 1960s

First time I ever got drunk was at the Queens Head (not the last though)!
It was still there last time I looked, refurbished and with some silly name.

Astonian,
When I served on the squad from the Newton Street office we used that pub as a daily meeting hole. I knew it as 'Gilhooley's' Sp? Think it was named, by us, after a previous licensee. Will.

hi will;
i think if i am correct that was beforethe queens head if i am correct ; yes ;?
i am trying to think of the guys name whom took it over as the queens head he came from the pub down facing the old eye hospital
if its correct or is the eye hospital the same street as the grand hotel on colmore row at that time
was it the old contemable they called it i recall our are manager moved us around and that guy fromthere took it on when it changed the name ;
i can vizulized the young guy now but i just cannot put a name to the face at the moment ;
so you never got your old bike back then from the dudley rd nick ;i heard the other day the new block for c division ;
dudley rd banged up ; and built another new one bigger than the old little one around the park ; but they told me its ghostly and very rare you see a
copper there ;and any trouble in the area just not get any responce one of my old friends on dudley rd whom is bussines still runs is bussines
next to the barford rd old gardners club as it is now but not in your days it was called different
but any drunks or trouble from there when ringing the office no responce ;
not like the old days i say will ; at least the division was out like a shot ;do you recall a det ; carrigan ; he was a big bloke just like ernie whom used to wade in ; and of course gentle man lou brown and inspecter blakley do you recall inspector bauber at keyon street
many years ago with the constables on the point duty as they was then ; and when he used to be driven around and coming from the city at aston cross in those days one day a young constable on traffic duty at the centre of the cross ; seen his car coming down the aston rd north from steele house lane
the young copper stopped the traffic and wave him through but unknown to him the force sold that car months ago and my oldest brother it
and of course the enevetable happends the young copper had stoped the trafficfrom crossing the junction and called my brother through
he laughed about it for many a weks at the old MEB where he worked in chester st ;
still ; any way i will try and think of these two guys whomwe are speaking abpout ; have a nice day ;
best wishes astonian ;;;;;

Edmonds, corner of Edmund St & Newhall Street.jpgEdmunds, on the corner of Newhall Street and Edmund Street.
This is one of a few pics of Birmingham pubs I was given, they are from more recent times and there is not have much information with them.

The Squirel..jpg
I think this one was on the corner of Morville Street and Ladywood Road. I never used the place but it was a bit unsavoury when I was a taxi driver.

View attachment 79301

I think this one was on the corner of Morville Street and Ladywood Road. I never used the place but it was a bit unsavoury when I was a taxi driver.

Was OK in the late 1960s. Used to go in there Friday lunchtimes when I was working near Five Ways because the redevelopemt meant that we lost the Five Ways Inn (?) on corner of Ladywood Road and Broad Street.

Hello Big Gee, I don't know but I googled it and it says the the red brick building, 19 Newhall Street was the Bell Edison Telephone building brfore becoming a pub.

ab.jpegThe Emily Arms, Dymoke Street just before the Flats were demolished.

Hi Stitcher, I think this photo #767, was before the flats were demolished, this was the old Emily that stood at the back of the flats, it was demolished in the 60s, and another one built, the flats were demolished about 1980

Hi All
Does anybody have pictures of the following pub's * The Oakfield Tavern*,*The Lord Nelson* & *Ye Old Gate Inn* or* Ye Old Garden Gate Inn*
All in Booth Street Handsworth between Watt Street and Chapel Street and demolished in the 70's the last to go being the Gate!
All my first watering holes in the 60's
Keep Smiling
Regards
Rich

Hello Elizabeth, I took it from a wider picture about the flats demolition. It was originally in the Mail and I posted the full picture on the St. Martins Flats Thread.

The Birmingham Arms, Dudley Rd and did someone mention the Crusader?

Phil

WinsonGreenBirminghamArmsDudleyRd.jpg

FiveWaysAuchinlecksquareCrusader.jpg
I think a part of my family the "Cromptons" managed "The Birmingham" on Dudley Rd

mrpastry

I can do you two of the pubs you are looking for, The Lord Nelson & The Oakfield Tavern.

Phil

Attachments

• Handsworth Booth St Lord Nelson.jpg
    Handsworth Booth St Lord Nelson.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 101
  • Handsworth Oakfield Tavern Booth St.jpg
    Handsworth Oakfield Tavern Booth St.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 92
Thanks Phil
Now that does bring the memories flooding back ...
Got another one for anybody there was a pub called The Oakfield Inn on the corner of Brearley Street & Booth Street its shown on old maps for1889 but gone by the 1920's now that one would be a something else
Keep Smiling
Regard
Rich

hi Alan
My dad worked part-time as a barman in the Oak and Gate .. He used to go out with 2/6p in his pocket and come back home with 3/- and "three parts cut" ... M&B Mild was my poison 11d in the bar 1/- in the lounge out with 10/- buy a packet of 10 Park Drive and three pints and still have some money in my pocket when going home ... used to go out with the licensees daughter of the Oakfield
Happy Days
Keep Smiling
Regards
Rich

Last edited:
Rich,I can remember buying a round of drinks at the Farcroft one saturday night cost me 15/s thinking that was expensive,this was upstairs at the dance,think it was 3 pints of Black and Tans and 2 Gin and oranges.

The Beehive in Garbett Street, Ladywood..jpg.....The Bridge Inn, Monument Road, Ladywood..jpg
The Beehive in Garbett Street Ladywood, and The Bridge Inn, Monument Road Ladywood.

The Old Royal, 53 Church Street..jpg........wellington. Bennets Hill.jpg
The Old Royal on Church Street and The Wellington, Bennets Hill.

The Wellington Bennets Hill is an old bank, can't remember if it was the National Bank. Was the Old Royal originally a pub or was that previously an office building?

David, I knew about the Wellington but I have no idea about the Royal, you may well be correct about it's former use. It does not look as though it was built as a pub, but it does appear to to resemble an office building. As we know, the use of some buildings now bear no resemblance to their original use. Now I know that one of the other members will look this up and tell us. (I hope.)

Back