• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells Road, Shops, Pubs, Businesses etc

Judy,i have put this picture on before but unfortunately know nothing about it.The general opinion last time it was posted,was that it was the building of Harborne police station.Moss

thats a very interesting pic of staff outside the lozells pic house..i know that during ww2 a man was killed when it was bombed..cant remember now but he was either the manager or was on fire watch at the time...his daughter was in our moms class at lozells girls school..

Interesting to read about the 8-piece orchestra accompanying the silent film. I remember my Mom telling me that her ambition when she was at school was to be a pianist in a cinema playing to accompany the films - she never fulfilled that ambition, although she did work as Cashier at one, and that's where my Mom and Dad met. Dad was the Manager!

Lyn

The name of the Manager that was killed in the raid that destroyed the cinema in 1942 was Lionel Jennings, he was on fire watch duty at the time.

Phil

Attachments

• Lozells Lozells Picture House Bombed 1942  .jpg
    Lozells Lozells Picture House Bombed 1942 .jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 126
Here's one of my Gt Gt Grandparents advertising their business. W.J Wilson, Maufacturers of 'The Birchfield' Cycles & Motors.
59, Chain Walk Birchfields. Show Rooms & Garage: Corner of Lozells Road & Burbury Street Birmingham.

William Jacob Wilson was the grandson of Jacob Wilson, Last Town Crier of Birmingham :encouragement:

I've sent this image to the motor cycle museum to see if they have any more info on the 'trike' in the photo...although they said they'd look into it I never heard any more :uncomfortableness: So if anyone else has any info about the shop or the bike, I'd love to hear it. I'm guessing Aprox date is 1907 to 1912.

xxxx Sioux

CyclePostcard.jpg

Sioux
Are you sure it was William Jacob Wilson ?. I haven’t had a chance to look through the directories fully yet, but in 1895 no 59 chain walk is not listed, but in 1900 there is a william John Wilson , cycle manufacturer at 57 chain walk
Incidently for both those years there is also : Wilson William Jacob, gasfitter 20 alfred St, Sparkbrook
Later this evening I will look further, but would like to confirm whether you are certain about the Jacob
Mike

Sorry to but in but how lovely the showroom would have been next door to my gt grandfathers bakery in Burbury Street.

I am also going to share a photo of a dear friend who lost his battle with cancer a few years ago. He used to do the "ghost" walks around Warstone Lane dressed as Jacob Wilson

Arthur_Smith_Key_Hill_open_day_2005~0.jpgArthur_Smith_and_Me_2005.jpg

Evening Mike,
Just flying by to check on replies. Thanks for response. Yes I'm certain he was Jacob as it's THE family name LOL. Not so much as a lack of imagination as a huge amount of pride I think in passing it on. The W.J. Wilson Gas fitter is the William in the above pictures father! :encouragement: I'll have a look at my tree tomorrow to see if there's a William John.

This is W.J. Wilson (The Gas fitter) & his wife Julia Middleton.

9ce3896c-c823-4fdc-a321-ade743871024-1.jpg

Ciao xxx Sioux

Have looked a bit closer in Kellys.

In 1899 no 57 Chain Walk is occupied by a bootmaker.
1900 Wilson William John cycle maker 57 Chain Walk
1903 Wilson William Jacob, cycle maker, 180A, Lozells road
(In 1900 no 180A Lozells Road was a chemists shop)
1904-05 Wilson William Jacob, cycle maker & furniture dealer, 180A, Lozells road
1908-1913 Wilson W. J. & Co. cycle dealers, 26 Aston road north
By 1915 they have disappeared.
There was in 1921 an Alfred Frederick Wilson, cycle dealer , 67 Guildford St

The above would suggets that the card was issued sometime 1900-1907
No 57 and 59 Chain walk are not listed in 1903 ,1904 or 1905, but in 1908 no 57 is occupied by Daniel Maynard, apparently as a private residence. Looking at the c 1889 map below, which shows the upper part of Chain walk, it can be seen that the buildings after 49 & 51 are wider and might be considered to occupy 2 plots. Therefore no 57,59 would be the building in red.
The William Jacob Wilson, gas fitter disappeared between the 1903 & 1904 Kellys
Mike

map_c1889_chain_walk__showing_49_and_51.jpg

hi wend only going from memory here but i thought your rellies bakery was near the corner wills st...sioux rellies cycle showroom was on the corner of burbury and lozells road so that would be right at the top...when i was down the old end recently i went past where your rellies bakery was...i always think of you lol....

hi sioux and thanks for sharing your family history with us...i am posting this street map of the area that you may find interesting.. i use it all the time to get my bearings lol..if you save it to your files it will enlarge...

lyn

1940s20map20of20asto1-1.gif

Last edited:
View attachment 74516Lyn there were a few bakeries in the family one in Farm Street one in New John Street West one in Lancaster Street in fact I must try and list them all. My great grandparents bakery was at the top of Burbury Street as it comes out onto the Lozells Road.

The photo shows the building which was the bakery and if you look top left you can see the canopy of the garage.
306_Burbury_St_28b29.jpg

View attachment 74516View attachment 74516

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Wendy, Sorry I didn't mean to ignore your reply last night - I didn't spot it as I used quick reply at the bottom of the page I was on...your post came up on the next page and I was rushing! Lovely to see an image of your late friend dressed as Jacob. It's nice that somebody was keeping his memory alive 'in situ' so to speak :~)

Cor Mike, you're a wealth of Kelly's info aren't you :~)
I haven't found a William John Wilson in my tree. I'm wondering if they possibly made a mistake in the entry? I guess it's possible.
In the 1901 Census William J. & Annie were running their cycle business at 180 Lozells Rd, so maybe they took over from the Chemist?
Then in the 1911, as you've already stated, they were listed at 26 Aston Rd, North Birmingham. So you've been very helpful in narrowing down the date of the card THANK YOU!
Not sure about the Alfred Frederick Wilson.... they have a son Named Charles Frederick who in 1911 at the age of 17 was working as a wheel truer [cycle busines] Then in 1914 he elisted and his occupation states Cycle worker. So maybe it's him. He was discharged by 1917 from wounds sustained.

In 1911 W. J Wilson Sr, the gas fitter is listed as a Gas fitter - out of work. Mind you he was 67 by then so who could blame him if 2 of his daughters were keeping him :pride: He passed away in 1919.

Thanks for everyone's help and interest.

xx Sioux

No problem somtimes we get bombarded on some subjects. I tried to reload the photo but it wouldn't so I have posted a link to the original thread.

Hi Judy, Have got round to registering with this wonderful site at last. I also used to walk down the cricks, we lived in Lansdowne Road, used it as a short cut to Soho Road. We also used to take the dog for a walk down there, that is when he didn't take himself, he used to meet my aunt off the bus on Soho Road, couldn't let dogs go walkies on their own these days, and just imagine walking down crick lane now or any alleyway for that matter. Oh happy days!!! Hope to be able to contribute a few bits and bobs to the site. Next step to download profile pcture. Katie

Welcome to the Forum Katie. I look forward to hearing more of your memories. You know, I bet our paths crossed many times back in Handsworth!

Judy

Last edited:
Hi Lyn
I have a few pics of the cinema. Knocking this down was a crime. The circular window was awesome. I'd have reclaimed it for my house but I would have had to buy my neighbouring houses each side and knocked them through to accommodate it!

Hi Lyn
I have a few pics of the cinema. Knocking this down was a crime. The circular window was awesome. I'd have reclaimed it for my house but I would have had to buy my neighbouring houses each side and knocked them through to accommodate it!

think i would have found space for that circular window...did you see the pics i posted some time back of the cinema being demolished...heart breaking stuff..

lyn

Hi jules i don't know if you still peruse this forum, but i picked up on T Elvins and Sons, i worked for them in the late 60,s my brother in law david myatt got me a job as an improver brickie, my first job was in walsall at sydney brown's furniture shop, then the new boiler house for sandwell hospital, then the new phisiotherapy building at the Q E Hospital, all under the site agent Pete Munslow, what a great bloke he was, i believe his father worked for the firm as well, Mr John used to visit the sites once a week and he seemed like a decent chap, chauffeur driven of course, but i learned a lot and am still in the construction trade now. cheers john griffin

Hi jules i don't know if you still peruse this forum, but i picked up on T Elvins and Sons, i worked for them in the late 60,s my brother in law david myatt got me a job as an improver brickie, my first job was in walsall at sydney brown's furniture shop, then the new boiler house for sandwell hospital, then the new phisiotherapy building at the Q E Hospital, all under the site agent Pete Munslow, what a great bloke he was, i believe his father worked for the firm as well, Mr John used to visit the sites once a week and he seemed like a decent chap, chauffeur driven of course, but i learned a lot and am still in the construction trade now. cheers john griffin

Hi yes I still follow this forum with interest when time allows. You were at T. Elvins a good while before I was there. Think it must have been about 1982 that I started work there as an office junior staying with them for a good 10 years. What a great place to work it was then and I have very fond memories of that time. I am trying to remember some of the Site Agent names but it was a long time ago. Alf Vickers is one name that springs to mind. A lot of them had worked for Elvins for a great many years. Bill Askew was the MD when I started.

Dear All,
with information from Midlandspubs and Kieron's help I have plotted the 1913 shops of the north side of Lozells Road between Archibald and Hartington Roads.
I think I have it correct but would welcome any corrections or observations and especially of the Old Tavern pub/beer house at 99.
Would welcome further research on the pub.
regards
Alan Greening great-grandson of Daniel Greening publican 1913.1913 kelly trades copy.jpg

Dear Mike
I have just posted my interpretation of the numbering sequence for the north side of Lozells Road Between ASrchibald and Hartington.
I am fairly certain I have number 99 The Old Tavern int he right place as can be seen by lining up boundaries ont he south side of the road with the north.
This makes 97b where it is today, but the sequence of numbers 97 through to 87 at the corner of Hartingdon doesnt follow.
But if 97a is next to 99, then 97b then 97c for the three double front building shown on the OS mao this leaves 5 numbers to go into the six frontages at the corner of Hartingdon which is about right. the narrow frontage could be an entrance which would leave 5 into 5, correct The big important building at the corner of Lozells adn Hartingdon appears to be posh department store.
regards
Alan Greening architect

Dear Mike,
Got it, I think!
the 1913 Kellys list of shops on Lozells Road between Archibald and Hartington shows the shops and owners.
I am correct from 133 to 99.
The 97 is not detailed on the 1913 Kellys.....because it/they are not shops but cottages, three of them 97a, 97b and 97c. then the sequence continues with 95, which you have shown tinted which is Frederick George David, Green Grocer on on to the corner.
Now, the 1950 photo of a bus over the junction of the tramlines and a boy standing on the low front wall, is of the 5-bay building west of Hartington (now gone) which is mirrored exactly by the 5 bay building to the east which still survives. A developer in the late-C19 built a matching pair of 3-storey buildings either side of Hartington.
Voila!

Back