• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells Road, Shops, Pubs, Businesses etc

Dear Mike,
I enclose a jpeg of my earlier map of Lozells Road with revisions to incloude your thoughts and Brend's recollection of living in cottage-type buildings. I think it fit and of further interest looking at Streetview in Googleearth you can see a pair of cottage-type, or villa-type buildings with alley between hidden behind the shops at 119 and 117.
I have been discussing this with the Birmingham Conservation officer, who is interested.
regards
Alan G1913 kelly trades copy revised.jpgreening

Alan., thank you for that information about no's97 abc lozells road.l was'nt imagining that my gt/grandparents lived in a cottage. as far as l remember the cottages( not my gt/grandparents they were gone when l was born) now l do remember my mother pointing them out to me...the cottages had a little wall in front of them and a gate, they really looked out of place out of another era, i'm sure the cottages suited them as they had moved up from somerset around 1890....would anyone happen to have any pictures.....Brenda

Dear Brenda,
sadly no one seems to have bothered photographing the north of Lozells Road between Archibald and Hartington roads, other than at the corner of Lozells/Hartingdon looking east with the sops on the corner. One of the photographs I posted shows a bus over tramlines and a little boy standing on a low brick wall which would have been the 1950,s front garden wall to one of the cottages. Actually I dont think they were cottage as such but small villa-style buildings circa 1830-1840 and the last surviving example was I believe south of Hartingdon Road and I included a photo of it; as you say incongruous set against the larger buildings on the corner.

I send the photo again just in case you didnt receive it and I believe this is what your property may have looked like.
regards
Alan Greening architectstanleys lozells road.jpg

Alan, once again thank you for your efforts in informing me about 97 abc Lozells road.....the latest picture l think l can see where the brick wall could have been...so all is not lost ....my late gt/grandparents had both died by the late 1930's so l'm sure all the changes were done after the 1950's .the name was Bonning and they were still there in the 1911 census....Brenda

Jules,
I worked for T Elvins from 1948 untill 1960 as a plumber I did a lot of work on one off the Elvins houses at Barnt Green by the Lickey Hill,s can't remember his first name [old age is catching up with me.]
I also remember Lozells Road I used to go out with a girl named Sheila Stanley She worked at Clysdales TV & radio shop on Lozells Rd that was about 1951/52 I would love to know how life has treated her over the years.
best wishes Brian

jjgriffin,
I knew Pete Munslow but I knew his dad better & yes they were nice people I was a Plumber at Elvins from 1948 untill about 1960 my younger brother worked there as a apprentice plumber,not a bad firm to work for but rather old fashioned in their atitude to the workers when MR John came on site & we all lined up the workers of today would tell him what to do with his job.
Brian

On the corner of Berners St was an outdoor on the other was corner you had Foster brothers mens wear .As I rember it you had the Fish & Chip shop E.E Whites Butchers ,Eugenes Fruit & Veg the pet shop (bought my pigeon's from there) and a shop next door to the pet shop that i cant rember what they sold I just rember it was scruffey looking and the Lozells Inn.

Patrick.

post 128 ref civic tv shop, was that just opposite the toy shop going up towards berners street, used to live in berners street with mom and dad my brother and good old gran mar, kind reguards sidwho

I also lived in Berners St. My younger brother cleaned the coaches at Flights weekends and after school. We lived near the top of Berners St by the Lozells Rd.

Patrick.

My great grandad had two shops on Lozells Road in Handsworth. Kelly's directory has them down as 89 and 91. I wondered if anyone has any pictures of the road in this time maybe showing those shops.

Thanks.

Here is map c 1915 showing position of 89 & 91 in red

map_c_1915_lozells_road_showing_89and_91.jpg

Last edited:
On the picture below (c1910) you can just see the Berners St name on the road leading off to the right. I reckon that means that no 91 is the shop on the far right which is not really in the photo, but where half the awning (with writing on) is visible, and 89 is the shop to the right of it with a plain awning

lozells_rd_c_1910.jpg

Last edited:
great pic on post 53 topsy..used to get our shoes from wastells...

Hello, I would like to point out that Wastells on the Lozells Road was a fruit and vegetable shop, there were two branches, one almost opposite Woolworths with a 69 bus stop right outside and the second on the opposite side of the road next door to Abbots of Lozells a furniture store on the corner of Wilton Street and Lozells Road. I think WASSELLS the shoe shop was on the Lozells Road, almost opposite Lozells Street and I believe it was formerly a branch of Englands Shoes.

thanks for the correction kath i knew the shoe shop was called something like wastells...so it was wassells then..

lyn

Hello, I would like to point out that Wastells on the Lozells Road was a fruit and vegetable shop, there were two branches, one almost opposite Woolworths with a 69 bus stop right outside and the second on the opposite side of the road next door to Abbots of Lozells a furniture store on the corner of Wilton Street and Lozells Road. I think WASSELLS the shoe shop was on the Lozells Road, almost opposite Lozells Street and I believe it was formerly a branch of Englands Shoes.
JW WASSALL Ltd, was situated at number 123/125 Lozells Rd and sold shoes.

sorry kath i am confused....what was on the corner of lozells road and barker st

lyn

This reply is for Jules65's Avatar I believe the bike shop was situated on the corner of Lozells Road and Barker Street, which was opposite from the Villa Cross, NOT Berners Street. The bike shop may have been called Cowdrills.

dont know if this will help kath but jules probably meant to put barker st....barker st was on the corner of villa road..lozells road had finished by the time it got to barker st...here is a photo of the shop on the corner that you mention

lyn

Attachments

• Villa Cross.jpg
    Villa Cross.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 111
Lyn, thanks for the reply Yes that is the right corner, the Villa Cross cinema is on the left of the photo but not shown. Looking at the photo I seem to recall the bike shop was a little further down Barker Street amongst a few other shops.

thanks kath...there should be quite a few photos of the villa cross cinema on the forum...i used to go there every saturday morning...happy days...

forgot to ask where abouts you lived i was in villa street

lyn

this is a cracking shot of lozells road...pretty sure its near to the junction of carpenters road on the right and francis road on the left....the distinctive buildings on the left are still there..the right side long gone...

lyn

Lozells Rd, Middle area..jpg

this is a cracking shot of lozells road...pretty sure its near to the junction of carpenters road on the right and francis road on the left....the distinctive buildings on the left are still there..the right side long gone...

lyn

View attachment 109790
Thank you very much for posting this photo, you are quite right where you have placed it with Francis Road and Carpenters in sight. I think it was early 1900s.

Much earlier than the original request starting this thread, but found this 1860s image of "Old Farm, Lozells Road". I'm assuming it's Lozells, Birmingham as I'm not aware of any other Lozells in the country.

Hard to believe there was a farm on Lozells Road at one time and can't imagine where exactly this would have been. Viv.

image.jpeg

nice one viv...here is a map showing its location...i would say roughly where archibald road is now...in between burbury st and lozells st..map dated 1860

Lozells-Road-Old-Farm-1860.jpg

Here is a map from Peter Walker, giving approximately the same position. He has overlaid the fowler 1787 map on on a map of c 1900. I have added the Farm name in red.

Attachments

• position of lozells Farm overlaid on early 20th century map.jpg
    position of lozells Farm overlaid on early 20th century map.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 57
Back