• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells Road, Shops, Pubs, Businesses etc

john i spent an hour yesterday searching my files for this pic to no avail as yet..will continue searching later on but if anyone did save the pic of crowder and browns could they please re post it....

cheers

lyn

no problems john its just most annoying when i know i should have it but cant find it..will plod on looking for it.

lyn

Hi Lyn John
I have this one which has been posted before, hope it helps. I think i may
have another one somewhere, i will have a look.

Lozells2520Rd_252011.jpg

Regards Stars

great stars i think that was the one i was looking for and now ive seen it i know where it is in my folders lol...if you have another one that would be great...

lyn

Hi Lyn
I am having a look now to see if i have. I seem to recall a more full on one.
I may be wrong, but i will have a look.

Stars

ok stars i cant quite remember if there was another one but either way that one is great..

Great picture Stars, probably late sixties, early seventies, that brings a hazy memory of it, to a much clearer one. Many thanks to you and to Lyn for taking the time to look for me. John

Hi Lyn. Thought I'd drop the 1834 OS map extracts in here for you - seems as good a place as any. Hope they're of help. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327844462.703405.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1327844494.886820.jpg

Vivienne - Fascinating Map. I haven't seen that before. I'm going off the Lozells thread for a minute though because I was particularly interested in seeing Crick Farm Hill (middle left of the map). When I grew up in Handsworth at Soho, I often walked throught the back lanes and gulleys to Handsworth Park. From the top of Villa Road, past the Girls Grammar School and down Crick Lane. We would always talk about going down the Cricks and I never knew where the name came from until I saw your map and it all fell into place.

Judy

And I used to talk about going UP the Cricks, Judy! I suppose I was travelling in the opposite direction.

Glad the map's of interest. Yes it does give some helpful clues to the origins of local names. I was surprised to see 'Aston Villa' on Lozells Lane. Sounds like it was originally a house, not a football club! Viv.

hi viv aston villa was the name of the area at that time...there was a lozells farm we think it was where lozells st meets with wills st.. i have a sketch of the farm somewhere will try and find it..

lyn

img383.jpg
No. 8 Lozells Road and Harry Juggins with his family in a model T Ford outside his fathers shop. 1910.

Another great picture Stitcher, but of another lost area, No. 8 would have been almost opposite the former Royal Oak pub (now a shop) which was No. 9.

Everything looks so nice and tranquil on many of these photos Lloyd.

Smashing picture Stitcher many of our families had photo's taken at their premises now we know what it looked like.

I am glad if it has interested you Wendy, I do not know where I got the photo and I have another one the same in a book but that copy looks a bit insipid.

Two lovely photos. I'd guess that the two photos might have been taken by Mr Juggins himself or at least someone working in his studio. They're so clear and sharp. Viv.

hi moss..i posted both of the juggins pics about 2 or 3 years back but i didnt save them so its great to see them back on the forum...
:encouragement:
cheers

lyn

This is off subject i know,it is a posed picture taken by Alfred Juggins.Moss

Attachments

• Donald Moore owned pic taken by Alfred Juggins of Lozells..jpg
    Donald Moore owned pic taken by Alfred Juggins of Lozells..jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 94
Any idea where this was taken Moss? Another great photo - love 'Bullseye", he's actually posing for the camera. Bless 'im! Wonder why there's a policeman in the photo. Viv.

I seem to have seen that photo before somewhere Moss, but can't for the life of me think where. I shall have to put my thinking cap on.

Judy

It has benn on this/a forum before Judy. i think at the time someone suggested it was building a new police station

Think you're right Mike, I think there're bars on the window behind the policeman.Viv.

thats a smashing pic moss...not seen that one before and i would also think that it was the building of a new police station..trouble is if it is...which one ??

cheers moss

lyn

Back