• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lodge Rd Hockley (the Flat)

When I had my shop there in the 70's I used to do a lady's hair who had a pub just at the end of the flat. it was as you crossed over the rd and their was a steep hill to the rd (memory not to good for the name) her name was Clariss and she used to bring her wig into be set, When we brushed it out before shampooing there was always bird seed in it, I asked her about it when she came to collect it and she said she used to put her wig on the bird cage at night.

Hi Patty, the roads around The Flat Was Lodge Road, Park Road, Little Park Road and at the other end of The Flat, it was Key Hill.

Hi everyone,re the flat, I was there yesterday Friday 23 September, I went for a look,also my old school icknield street, its not the first time ive been back of course but felt very despondant when i got there, I lived just up Park Rd from the chip shop, Reggies. I know im looking through rose coloured glasses maybe but I think it is more of a dump now than it ever was,Ford st is going the modern way, looks like a dumping ground.Ya cant say too much in these days of political correctness but I can remember when around those parts a spade was called a spade, not these days tho,cant afford to offend certain people.
Went to the jewelery quarter which is hyped as being wonderful. its all a facade for con men, some of the people there I would not employ to shovel dirt off the floor.
Im sorry if this is not what people want to hear, i just had to say how i felt to people who used to know the place.

Frank.

We felt much the same as you on our visit frankbck. Icknield St was my area, but it has also gone the same way. My old school, Camden St is just about demolished and what is left (frontage) is a worship hall for some foreign sect.

Hi Maggs, I remember Camden st school used to go there with the Boys Brigade to band contests I think, I know what you meant, my old school Icknield st is still there, I think maybe its a listed building, its old enough but it use has changed I think like yours has, never mind Maggs we might have had some hard times but we got some terrific memories eh and they cant change that.

Frank

Hello Frank, at last someone who remember Camden St School. To date no Forum member has ever mentioned it. Did you go to the junior school with the Boys Brigade or the Senior School. I went to both of these schools. Yes, I know Icknield St School is still standing. My brother went there. As you say, things have changed a lot around our old stamping ground, but the memories of the way it was will be with us forever.

Can anyone remember the name of the cake shop which was on The Flat on the right hand side as you look from Lodge Road - i.e. the side of the Pentecostal Church. Thanks

Hi Carolina
Yes i know, i am just going to sort ou some photo's of the flat
regards stars

Stars look forward to it. I have some myself that have been posted, so if needed after the 'glitch' I can also repost them. Carol

Here are a few photos of the Flat Hockley. Hopefully i have kick started the thread off, and members will hopefully re post those lovely photos.

The_Flat_Hockley__6_Lodge_Rd.jpg

Lodge_Road_1950~0.jpg

Regards stars

View attachment 71430View attachment 71430View attachment 71435I am afraid i am absolutely useless at learning new computer directions so i am trying to upload the lodge rd photos i first put on this thread, but using the old way im afraid!

first two - if they work are the Abbey Vaults pub, Lodge Rd., and the Hyraulic pub at the corner of Lodge Rd. and All Saints St. Hockley

oh thankyou stars, i obviously cant even do it the old way. hope you have the other pictures, if not i will email them to you, shera

Here are some that I have.

Attachments

• Lodge Road4.jpg
    Lodge Road4.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Picture1 128.jpg
    Picture1 128.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Picture1 020.jpg
    Picture1 020.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 71
Hi Shera
I would not worry which ever way works for you. Look forward to seeing them again.

regards Stars

View attachment 71430View attachment 71430View attachment 71435I am afraid i am absolutely useless at learning new computer directions so i am trying to upload the lodge rd photos i first put on this thread, but using the old way im afraid!

first two - if they work are the Abbey Vaults pub, Lodge Rd., and the Hyraulic pub at the corner of Lodge Rd. and All Saints St. Hockley

oh thankyou stars, i obviously cant even do it the old way. hope you have the other pictures, if not i will email them to you, shera
As Stars said worry not - I have decided to hang on for a while longer whilst Warren (Bows respectfully towards where Warren may be) sort out the vagaries of the boards.

Here are some more (doing it the old way)

Attachments

• Lodge Road pic 1.jpg
    Lodge Road pic 1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Lodge Road Pic 2.jpg
    Lodge Road Pic 2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 54
Hi
Here are a selection of photos some new, others were originaly posted by Corolina, Lyn, and other members.

img112_lodge_road.jpg

Hockley2520Icknield2520233.jpg

Hockley2520Brook_.jpg

dd1f4760_The_Flat.jpg

34807713__The_Flat2C_Park_Lane_Hockley_redo.jpg

Image11_Lodge_Rd.jpg

Regards Stars

My shop in the 70's was the one in between the boutique and betting shop, looks all bricked up above wonder when this was taken as I think it would have been there for a long time as the lady I bought it off had had the shop for a long time it was called dubarry's, I gave it up and don't know what happened to it or if it stayed a hairdressers

HI GUYS
My relatives and cousins lived at the church in lodge rd down by the devonshire pub
and oppersite the lodge rd mental hospital they was the live in care takers
aunty maud was the main person and uncle bill smart worked full time at Avery scales down foundry lane
when i was young he got me a job as anelectro plater chrome ; and anodiseing as that was and is my trade
occupation which i learnt from a very early days in my life ; and worked most of the hockley quarter as well some was right bombed ou places and bad conditions i started at randle brothers plateing on darthmouth street
half the building was only standing it ran along the cannal pathe i could speak to passing strangers
owing to the redevelopment they closed down it was a prehistoric building with old type electric powers points
astonian

Hi Does anybody recall the big family of the name reynolds one was called barry reynolds
they lived along there in the fifties close to the grocery shop
my aunt maud and billy smart ran the local youth club and scouts and cubs at the local church hall just yards from the shop the last time i spoke with big barrie was in 1958; out side his mothers house big lad with curly hair
best wishes astonian

Hi I know this is above in a small photo, but have got a larger print of it, so here it is.

Image1_Lodge_Rd_Key_Hill_1954.jpg

Regards Stars

hi stars ;
you are out of this world with you produceing all these spectactlepicture you have to be number one
and that would be the pooles furtiture shop bty the crossing the times i have ran all that way passing all those shops early in the morning to get to school from king edwards rd because if you was late you was threatendby mr kitchen and mr urch ;
urch the slipper across your back side and kitchen the head master was the cane or threattened to do so if you continued to be late or get the lines to be written ; i must not be late for one hundred times in his office

Back