• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Great Russell street

would anyone happen to know the name of the pub on the corner in the 1st pic...gt_russell_st_23_redo.jpggt_russell_st_22_redo.jpg

gt_russell_st_24redo.jpggr_russell_st_25_redo.jpggt_russell_st_school_entrance_redo.jpgst georges school on the left...

thats about it for now folks...i may find one or two more in time....once again many thanks to stars (eric) for all the help he have given me...

lyn

Thanks for posting all those photos Lyn. A lot of hard work for you, but much appreciated.

Judy

Lyn, post 102, pic 3, we stood on that spot just a couple of weeks ago, how different it is now. I know which one I prefer.
Lynne.

hard to believe isnt it lynne....and yes i know which i would prefer too...may not have had much but boy were we happy enough

lyn

Hi Judy,i think the pub was The Compsses,on the corner of Gt Russell Street and Brearley Street.Moss.

Thanks Moss - I will try and find out if that links with where my family lived in the street. Judy

Been away only just learned thyat some B****has hacked into the system and deleted photos, so at risk of repeating myself, that shop was my nan's, Mrs Jones

hope this works folks...reposting...
gt_russell_st_12_redo.jpg

yes viv they would be mid to late 60s..last one for tonight im having trouble with my lappy charger...

grrussellst25.jpg

its the quality of the pics wend..makes such a difference...will put a few more on tomorrow...

Hi Lyn
Nice to see these photos back on. I am so pleased you are reinstating your photos.

Regards Stars

Thanks for reposting Mrs Smiths shop. My Nan was Mrs Jones with a shop down the Rd opposite The Justice, Frankfort St. She used to get me to run up to Mrs Smiths shop if she had run out, ot take stuff if Mrs Smith had run out. Can you imagine Tesco doing the same for Asda?

pretty sure that with a few alterations to the houses these 2 pics are the same location but some 60 odd years apart..the older one is dated 1905..
gtrussellst1905.jpg

gt_russell_st_10_redo.jpg

i noticed the washing line ingleton..some things just dont change..i am trying to work out what the sqare things are on the walls in the 1905 pic...they look like posters but i cant make them out...

lyn

Back