• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Situation Comedy

Gosh you forget them all until you start chatting about them,Only fools and Horses was brilliant, Bread was another I loved, first time I seen a mobile phone, although he called it a car phone.

One that nobody seems to remember, Me Mammy with Yootha Joyce,

I think I remember that, wasn't it with Milo O'Shea and his mother used to call him Bunjy ?

My favourites are Porridge,The good life, please sir and only fools & horses which one of the few long running sitcoms that didn't go down hill with ludicrous stories like' last of the summer wine' and' on the buses' did. When I worked in BBC TV scenery we did sets for Allo Allo, Are you being served, Butterflies, and Acorn Antiques amongst others

Last edited:
Sorry, Terry and June, Keeping up Appearances, - what was the one with Yootha Joyce, having a senior moment on that one. All these were so funny.

I had forgotten about 'Bread' Liz, and yes I liked that one too. Especially the lady at the dole office, who shouted 'NEXT'.

My all time favorite sit com was without doubt, "Dads Army" but I also enjoyed, "Bootsie & Snudge", "Get Some In" with Robert Lyndsey in it, "Eric and Hattie", "Goodnight Sweetheart" and "Nearest and Dearest"
My favorite actor from a sit come would be either Eric Sykes or Reg Varney.
Chocks

I think I remember that, wasn't it with Milo O'Shea and his mother used to call him Bunjy ?

My favourites are Porridge,The good life, please sir and only fools & horses which one of the few long running sitcoms that didn't go down hill with ludicrous stories like' last of the summer wine' and' on the buses' did. When I worked in BBC TV scenery we did sets for Allo Allo, Are you being served, Butterflies, and Acorn Antiques amongst others
Yes thats the one I loved it, but there aren't many that I didn't.

I had forgotten about 'Bread' Liz, and yes I liked that one too. Especially the lady at the dole office, who shouted 'NEXT'.
gosh we have had some brilliant sitcom's haven't we

Just remembered one with Richard O Sullivan and a one armed waiter can,t think of the title though I,m sure someone will freshen my memory. Dek

Not many "modern" ones here are there? They don't write 'em like they used to....can't stand 'My Family' with Robert Lindsey, but it keeps coming back so maybe it's just me!

For me, As time goes by and May to December take some beating, along with all the others already mentioned.

We have indeed Liz. Porridge was a very clever sit com too. I am not keen on 'silly' sit coms, but one's that bring all life's emotion's please me the best.

Izzy thats the one George and Mildred - thanks.

I watched an episode the other day ,it's being repeated on ITV3 I think it was.

Do any of you remember the sitcoms with Hilda Baker? the one in the pickle factory with vinegar Vera and Nelly Pledge?
Joe Gladwin the bloke who played Nora Batty's husband was in it along with Jimmy Jewel

Izzy, you are thinking of Nearest & Dearest, it also starred Jimmy Jewel.

I liked Porridge Maggs, so sad the young man died so very young, Izzy I loved it when Hilda Baker used to say, I must get a little hand put on this watch, in Nearest and Dearest

I liked Porridge Maggs, so sad the young man died so very young, Izzy I loved it when Hilda Baker used to say, I must get a little hand put on this watch, in Nearest and Dearest

that was the one with 'Walter' the little bald bloke and Hilda used to say 'as e been our Lilly ? ave you been Walter? I think ees been :D

Back