• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Situation Comedy

It's not finished yet Scotlands Still Game about two pensioners is a good laugh , also another Scottish one Two Doors down
six series were made of Still Game I think it finally wrapped up last year , Jack and Victor bouncing off each other , great fun

Can anyone help? I was having a last cup of tea before lockdown with my mate in a café and as he poured the jug in to my cup, he said in a boomingish voice, "Millock, Edmund?" It transpires there was a radio show or sit com with it in, in the 50s, a married couple. He can't remember who they were or what the show was. I said I would ask "The Forum" for him.

Can anyone help? I was having a last cup of tea before lockdown with my mate in a café and as he poured the jug in to my cup, he said in a boomingish voice, "Millock, Edmund?" It transpires there was a radio show or sit com with it in, in the 50s, a married couple. He can't remember who they were or what the show was. I said I would ask "The Forum" for him.

From another website to the same question -

"The programme was an hourly show called "Home At Eight". The first series, which was hosted by Richard Attenborough, began on 21 April 1952. The programme had a number of different segments, including "On Stage Please" featuring RADA students in their last year of study, "Off The Record" showcasing a recording artiste of the day, and "Thanks for the Melody" - hits of today and yesterday played by Peter Yorke and his Concert Orchestra.with the Ipswich Girls' Choir.

The part of the programme that you recalled was "Mrs Doom's Diary" - a macabre parody of "Mrs Dale's Diary". This, as you rightly say, starred Hermione Gingold and Alfred Marks.

Each week, Hermione Gingold served her witches brew to her doom laden husband (Alfred Marks) with the words:

"Tea, Edmond?"
"Yes Drusilla" came the reply
"Millock?"

The Doom's nasty son was played by Richard Attenborough whilst their butler Trog was heard only as heavy steps.

Jerry Desmonde took over as host of the second series of "Home at Eight" in September 1952 and was joined by the vocal group The Stargazers. "

I found this thread today and have enjoyed being reminded of all the old shows. Does anyone remember the Ronnie Barker sitcom " Clarence " in the late 80's and " Potter " with Arthur Lowe, late 70's, of Dad's Army fame. Speaking of Dad's Army, nobody's mentioned Birminghams Own Ian Lavender, Private Pike, who went to Bournville Boys school. Who can forget the 4/fork c/andles sketch on the 2 Ronnies show !, repeated many times without the loss of the humour, attached a window display in Harrogate ( sorry about the quality ).

Attachments

• 736.jpg
    736.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
I found this thread today and have enjoyed being reminded of all the old shows. Does anyone remember the Ronnie Barker sitcom " Clarence " in the late 80's and " Potter " with Arthur Lowe, late 70's, of Dad's Army fame. Speaking of Dad's Army, nobody's mentioned Birminghams Own Ian Lavender, Private Pike, who went to Bournville Boys school. Who can forget the 4/fork c/andles sketch on the 2 Ronnies show !, repeated many times without the loss of the humour, attached a window display in Harrogate ( sorry about the quality ).
I certainly remember "Clarence" and enjoyed it. Unfortunately today it couldn't be shown without a howling protest from the "Woke" generation as it's comedy relied upon Clarence having myopic vision. The same applies to that great cartoon series Mr Magoo. Sad times now.:confused:

It’s funny that as a builder, the number of times I have been into builders’ merchants that watched the 4/fork c/andles sketch scenario unfold right in front of my eyes. That’s why I found it so hilarious to see the larger tha life characters.

I certainly remember "Clarence" and enjoyed it. Unfortunately today it couldn't be shown without a howling protest from the "Woke" generation as it's comedy relied upon Clarence having myopic vision. The same applies to that great cartoon series Mr Magoo. Sad times now.:confused:
i loved mr Magoo:grinning:

From another website to the same question -

"The programme was an hourly show called "Home At Eight". The first series, which was hosted by Richard Attenborough, began on 21 April 1952. The programme had a number of different segments, including "On Stage Please" featuring RADA students in their last year of study, "Off The Record" showcasing a recording artiste of the day, and "Thanks for the Melody" - hits of today and yesterday played by Peter Yorke and his Concert Orchestra.with the Ipswich Girls' Choir.

The part of the programme that you recalled was "Mrs Doom's Diary" - a macabre parody of "Mrs Dale's Diary". This, as you rightly say, starred Hermione Gingold and Alfred Marks.

Each week, Hermione Gingold served her witches brew to her doom laden husband (Alfred Marks) with the words:

"Tea, Edmond?"
"Yes Drusilla" came the reply
"Millock?"

The Doom's nasty son was played by Richard Attenborough whilst their butler Trog was heard only as heavy steps.

Jerry Desmonde took over as host of the second series of "Home at Eight" in September 1952 and was joined by the vocal group The Stargazers. "
Thanks, I will pass it on. I used to listen to Mrs Dale's Diary at Nan's she called it Mother Dale's Dairy, she also mispronounced Panerarum, and Dis cother q, much to my being ridiculed at school.

Last edited by a moderator:
i loved mr Magoo:grinning:
I suppose it's where you draw the line. Everyone is hypersensitive at the moment. But....some of the Disney Cartoons could be quite offensive I think. And there was a cartoon pig with a bad stutter. We called our classmates with protuding teeth Goofy. One of my colleagues was called Olive Oil behind her back, and another called Olive, from On The Buses, she had pebble glasses. The school care taker was Mr Magoo. And we had a Smiffy and a Pansy Potter from the comic books. We had Plug at work, one of the bosses. But I loved Ronnie Barker. What would they do with Gregor Fisher's Baldy man and Hilda Baker's Marlene?

It’s funny that as a builder, the number of times I have been into builders’ merchants that watched the 4/fork c/andles sketch scenario unfold right in front of my eyes. That’s why I found it so hilarious to see the larger tha life characters.
I had the same happen to me, my first bar job, a lady came and asked for 20, Three Fives. Not knowing thy were cigarettes. I gave her 23 five pence pieces. I thought she wanted then for the bandit. The bar manager told me I was an eegit. I didn't know what that meant either.

I suppose it's where you draw the line. Everyone is hypersensitive at the moment. But....some of the Disney Cartoons could be quite offensive I think. And there was a cartoon pig with a bad stutter. We called our classmates with protuding teeth Goofy. One of my colleagues was called Olive Oil behind her back, and another called Olive, from On The Buses, she had pebble glasses. The school care taker was Mr Magoo. And we had a Smiffy and a Pansy Potter from the comic books. We had Plug at work, one of the bosses. But I loved Ronnie Barker. What would they do with Gregor Fisher's Baldy man and Hilda Baker's Marlene?
The cartoon pig with the stutter was Porky Pig and from Warner Bros Looney Tunes cartoons not Disney. He's the one that does the "That's all folks at the end" .
The recent complaints against Disney are generally about race in the way that Black characters are stereotyped although they'll probably find something else to complain about once that lot's gone. I still think the worst thing they did was the lemming film but, maybe, that's just me.

i think if you "cant take it dont give it"

i think if you "cant take it dont give it"
My partner growing up in France watched The Magic Roundabout. There, 'Florence' was called Margote. She says any girl with big feet was called Margote. And we had children at school we called Elephant Boy and Circus Boy.
Yes indeedmw0njm. I am replying like a true egit.

My partner growing up in France watched The Magic Roundabout. There, 'Florence' was called Margote. She says any girl with big feet was called Margote. And we had children at school we called Elephant Boy and Circus Boy.
Yes indeedmw0njm. I am replying like a true egit.
as kids we all had and called others nicknames. my g/grandad used that word egit. a lot:grinning:

as kids we all had and called others nicknames. my g/grandad used that word egit. a lot:grinning:
I worked in a Irish run bar then (The Standard Triumph) and I was also called a gobshite too. And subsequently a half eegit. I am spelling it with 2 ee's Maurice as I and 3 friends entered a charity pub quiz, as The Egits, and the quizmistress read our name out as the Egg its. And everybody shouted Eeeeegits, so....
But on topic, I don't know any Irish TV SitComs but they must have good sitcoms too. Mrs Brown's Boys gets away with murder as my mate's Irish granny would have said, mordor. I never really liked Father Ted but I did like the housekeeper.

I worked in a Irish run bar then (The Standard Triumph) and I was also called a gobshite too. And subsequently a half eegit. I am spelling it with 2 ee's Maurice as I and 3 friends entered a charity pub quiz, as The Egits, and the quizmistress read our name out as the Egg its. And everybody shouted Eeeeegits, so....
But on topic, I don't know any Irish TV SitComs but they must have good sitcoms too. Mrs Brown's Boys gets away with murder as my mate's Irish granny would have said, mordor. I never really liked Father Ted but I did like the housekeeper.
I. do like father ted.:grinning: The time they put father jack in a home,and had to break him out again.:grinning:

Back