• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Auxiliary Fire Service

I'm taking the AFS/NFS photo posted on 9th October 2010 to my Granddaughts's school today, along with some WW1 post cards and other photos from WW2 era, a Defence Medal (WW2) and some St.John Ambulance medals from WW1 era. They are having a tea partiy for Grandparents today and asked for any memorablia to be brought with is. Hope that it will all be of interest to these Junior schoolchildren. The school has tried to impress on their pupils the importnce of Remembrance Day, so this is an extension of that topic. Will let you know how these items were received at the School. Cheers, Judy Walker (nee Bamford).

Well it couldn't have gone better at the Grandparents tea party, with the school hall laid out with groups of chairs in small rings. One Grandparent or Grandparents to each ring, and then the children filed in a filled each ring. It was wonderful to see the interest on the childrens faces, as they took turns to ask questions, and then in my "ring" I had the pleasure of showing them the photos I took with me, some WW1 post cards, which they were fascinated in and the Defence Medal (WW2) and St.John's Ambulance Medal (WW1) which was awarded to my Grandfather who worked at Nechells Gas as a Foreman and the equivalent to the "First Aider" we have in the workplace today. He saved several people at the gas works and the medal is dated 1915. At the end the Headmistress said she had not seen such rapt expressions on her childrens faces as she had watched each "ring" during their questions session. It was a lovely afternoon, that finished off with some rousing singing of old favourites like "We'll Meet Again" and "Goodnight Sweetheart"... a thoroughly enjoyable experience, which I hope some other schools are able to replicate and other Grandparents have the same reception as we did. Cheers, Judy Walker (nee Bamford).

My Grandfather was also a fireman in World War II and lived in Aston or more probably Nechells. I am also looking for information and will contact you if I find any. All I know is that he was said (by my mother) to have been too short to join the Army so went into the Fire Service. One day he was out on a call an an explosion blew him away from the fire engine, he was thought to have been killed and a policemen went to his home and told my Grandmother her husband was dead. Apparently she replied "no he's not he's in there having a cup of tea". It seems he held onto the hose and was saved then walked home.
Good luck with your search

Thats a really good story, there must have been so much confusion going on at the time. Glad it had a happy ending. My Dad's only injury during the war service in the AFS/NFS was when he was knocked off a factory roof by a jet of water from one of his colleagues hoses! He sustained a sprained ankle and was back on duty the following week. Both our relatives were lucky, but I'm sure there were many who did not have such happy outcomes. I dont suppose he was one of the firemen on the photo I submitted a while ago, it would be nice to hear from someone who has been recognised. Cheers, Judy Walker (nee Bamford).

Hi Judy, Thank you for your reply

I'm really glad your Dad was also one of the lucky ones, sadly there were many who were not. I don't recognise any of the men in the photograph but I did not see much of my Granddad until 1960 and only remember him as being shorter than my Grandmother. with dark hair and eyes and darker skin, and very kind. My mother said one of his Grandmothers was Indian but no-one seems to have spoken about this and so far in my searches I have drawn a blank at his parents. My Granddad was born in Francis Street in the early 1900's to William and Maria and also lived in St Clements Road Nechells. His name was Thomas Granger. I wonder if your Dad ever mentioned him or if they were in a different division.

Kind Regards

Shirley

Hi Shirley,
I dont remember him ever mentioning that name, but I was only 2 when the War ended and Dad carried on with his normal full time occupation in the Co-op Grocery Dept. He became a Grocery Branch Manager, and I can clearly remember two of them, one was at Slade Road, Erdington and the other at Warwick Road, Tyseley opposite where Cousins Furniture Store is now. I can remember before I went to school and in the school holidays when I did, going to Warwick Road shop and being let into the cash desk where the cashier had brass screw-up cups that were on a wire that went to each of the counters. People had their "divi" ticket and their £1 or 10shilling notes put into the brass cup at the counter, this was sent to the cask desk by the staff at the serving counter by pulling a cord which sent the brass cup to the desk (behind glass partition) and the change +"divi" was sent back the same way. I was allowed to pull the cord that sent it zinging back to the counter. Can you imagine people standing there today while all that went on? This was before the days of self service.

Hope you find someone who does remember your Grandad. Cheers, Judy

Hey Sparkhill Boy,
I was one also, born in Dolphin road, I went to Percy Road school until we moved when I was 8. My dad was in the AFS and then in the NFS during the war, told us many stories when we were kids including the bombing of the BSA and the Birmingham mint, he was at both of those incidents. I remembe that the told me that they were out fighting a fire and the fire station in Farm road was hit while they were out. does anyone know where Farm road was and maybe what division he might have been in?

Hello C Birch,
I don't personally know where Farm Road is, but I belong to a Family History Group and will ask the question at our next meeting. You never know, someone there may have the answer. I'll let you know if I find anything out. I don't suppose you recognised your Dad on the photo I posted of a large group of AFS/NFS firemen, taken outside a large ivy covered building? I don't know where the building is, or what divisions are included in the group. It would be good if someone recognised a relative, neighbour or friend. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who does know someone or recognises the building. Cheers, Judy Walker (nee Bamford).

Hello Judy,
thanks for responding to my queery and your offer to try to help.
I have looked at the photgraph that you posted and do not see my dad on there unfortunately.I hope that you are successful in finding someone in your group who can help with information.
regards,
Charlie

Hi All,

For some strange reason I have only just started getting emails again regarding posts that have been put onto this thread (did have a problem with my pc though) I first started a few years ago. It has been fantastic reading all the threads and looking at the photos that a couple of you have put on, sadly my dear old Dad isn't on them, but my heart skipped a beat when looking at them for him, praying to see his face smiling back at me.

Thanks to everyone for keeping the thread going and some good ideas and links to find info

Regards
Sheila

:smile2:
Hello C Birch,
I don't personally know where Farm Road is, but I belong to a Family History Group and will ask the question at our next meeting. You never know, someone there may have the answer. I'll let you know if I find anything out. I don't suppose you recognised your Dad on the photo I posted of a large group of AFS/NFS firemen, taken outside a large ivy covered building? I don't know where the building is, or what divisions are included in the group. It would be good if someone recognised a relative, neighbour or friend. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who does know someone or recognises the building. Cheers, Judy Walker (nee Bamford).
Hi judy,
I was scrolling through posts on the site and found an article written in a NFS/AFS magazine called the "Squirt". It was about a fire rescue by William Mosedale and he won the George Cross for rescuing firemen trapped in the bombed out fire station on the corner of Grantham road and Farm road on December 11 1940. The article is very informed and tells me that the fire station was in 5th division, station number 4. The firemen had to move to fire station number 8 on Havelock road in Tysley. It all makes sense as we lived in Dolphin road, just about a mile from there.I would love to get my hands on the "Squirt" magazine but probably none exist now.There is reference to the Balsall Heath Historical society maybe having some, but chances are slim. Anyway, the mystery is somewhat solved now.
thanks to everyone on the forum.
Charlie

my father was also a fireman during ww2, at cottridge as far as i know, it was great to see those group pictures that have been posted on here ,perhaps someone somewhere will have a picture with my dad on , and post it on here

Hi to all of you who have been looking at the photos that have been posted.

I too am hoping that someone will recognise one of their relatives, neighbours, friends.

I'm glad that you got some information about the Fire Station on Farm Road Charlie. I will be meeting up with the Family History group at Hobs Moat next Saturday and was going to ask the question. If anyone there does have any more info I will pass it on though.

Would be good if anyone interested in Family History could join us at Hobs Moat Library (just off Old Lode Lane) on a Saturday morning beween 10 - 12.00. On alternate Saturdays (same times) they also have a Family History Group at Olton Library (on Warwick Road with parking opposite Olton Railway Station). The Group there is called "Old Bones", a smaller group, but very dedicated to helping anyone who is interested.

Cheers, Judy Walker (nee Bamford)

Went to Birmingham "Back to Backs" just over a week ago. Very lucky and quite by chance it was "40s week" with bunting out in the court yard. We were supplied with ration books, and had our ration taken for our tea/coffee and biscuits, and had our "sweet ration" supplied at the corner Sweet Shop. There were also ladies sitting in the "Court" making pegged rag rugs, the WRVS serving the refreshments and others dressed in uniform. Because it was 40s week one of the cellars was also on the tour, and laid out to resemble the air raid shelter, with keresene lamp, camp beds, a few small toys, knitted blankets, etc. It certainly gave you a real feel of what it must have been like to go down the cellar at night. Whether you are in the National Trust, as I am, or not, it is certainly a part of our local heritage that is well worth a visit. I would recommend it, but it is adviseable to book ahead of your visit to prevent being disappointed because the tours are full. Cheers, Judy Walker (nee Bamford)

Agreed Hannah, we went last Thursday after preboooking, it was a most interesting afternoon. This did not involve the 40s week, as that had ended by then, in fact we new nothing about that. Well worth the visit all the same.

Hi Hannah

I have been to the back to back houses, it was a very enjoyable and interesting experience, particularly as I spent a very happy part of my childhood living in a back to back in Bradford. The only thing I would advise about the Birmingham back to backs is that the stairs are very steep so if you are very young or elderly take care but don't let is stop you going.

Regards
Shirley

I am a member of the West Midlands Fire Service Community Heritage Group. Our groups aim is to to protect the heritage of of both Birmingham Fire Brigade and the West Midlands Fire Service.
As such we have very few wartime records. This is because of the nature of war and the fact that after the war the home office returned all their records back to the local fire authorites who over the years have had several clear outs. We do however have a few. If you would care to e-mail [email protected] with any inquires we will check what we do have.

Hi Ian,
Great to hear from you and your Group. I posted a photograph in October 2010 of a large group of AFS/NFS Firemen. They are grouped in front of a large ivy covered building, but I don't know where it is (other than somewhere in Birmingham). My Dad, Henry Bamford (known as Harry) is 6th from the left on the back row. He lived in Alum Rock and I think he was stationed at Norton Hall (think that is the large white building in Ward End Park, Washwood Heath), but I dont think that is the building in the photograph. Do you think anyone in your Group can identify it? Or maybe they might recognise someone in the photo from their past. I have Dad's cap badge which I have attached to a leather key ring. Cheers, Judy Walker (nee Bamford).

Its almost a year since my last blog on this. Still no response to the photo* I posted of a large group of AFS/N FS personnel outside a large ivy covered building. Would still like to know what the building is and if anyone recognises any of the firemen there. Cheers, Judy Walker (nee Bamford).

(*Please see post #28 or reposted image here - Mod.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Both of my parents were in the AFS and Dad´s brother was too.
They were stationed at the Fox & Goose, somewhere near the Beaufort cinema, but no idea exactly where. I didn´t come along until it was all over.
Dad was living with his parents in Monk Road Ward End at the time & my mother was with her parents in Stechford Lane.

Hi Senoraruz, Its good to hear that the ladies were doing their bit too. I remember the Beaufort cinema very well, and my Dad worked at the Co-op Grocery at the Fox & Goose.Mom and Dad lived in Foley Road, Washwood Heath when they got married (not far from Monk Road), but were bombed out when all the glass in the house blew in. They moved to Anthony Road in Alum Rock and that was where they were when I was born in 1943. You dont mention the photo that I posted some time ago, but it would be good if you could spot your Mom or Dad in it. I am still waiting to hear from anyone who recognises someone on this photo, or even could tell me where the photo was taken. Cheers, Judy Walker (nee Bamford).

Hi Judy.
I think my mother, Margaret Norman was part of White watch, stationed at Beaufort garage which was demolished in 2004.
My Dad, Stan Davis & his brother Jack were slso stationed there & that´s how my parents met. Dad built spitfires at Fisher &
Ludlow in the daytime & Jack worked at the Dunlop.
Mom & Dad are both dead now as is Uncle Jack, but a few names of the "girls" from Mom´s watch are Joan Hions, Barbara Whitehouse, Mary Baker, Pearl Hill & Leading Firewoman Eunice Knowles.
Don´t recognise anyone from your photo unfortunately, but I think one of the men who worked with dad was called Billy Clarke. All I can remember about him was he had a wife called Gwen & after the war, they lived in Great Barr.
Sorry I can´t be more helpful.
Marion

RE entry 28....Can you Attach or Send me a copy of this Photo. My Father was also a member of the Aux-Fire Service During WW2. And lived in Saltley. Norton Hall was off George Arthur Rd, Saltley. I have a Photo of a group of Firemen taken in Adderley Park, Saltley. Also During WW2. It might be the same group photo.

My father was initially in the AFS and became a full time Fireman during WWII. He was stationed at Weoley Castle in a station ,accessed by a rough track off the Weoley Castle Square. He was involved in areas such as Birmingham, Coventry. Liverpool, Exeter, Oxford and Plymouth.

In Liverpool he told me that local road maps of the area were of little use since landmark premises were often bombed out of all recognition.. They,therefore, relied on local youths to join them on the engine to direct them to their destination. He said many times residents would try and stop the engine so that they could tackle their homes.

On very rare occasions, especially when he'd been to Liverpool, he would bring me back one or two packets of chewing gum given to him by U.S. soldiers. Such a treat !!!

Since posting the above I have looked through some old photographs one of which I believe was taken at a Liverpool station showing my father pictured with 44 other members. It was interesting to realise that amongst these were 19 women all in their respective uniforms. A photograph taken in the late 50's early 60's shows a display of a fire fighting pump,operating in what looks like a lake in a disused quarry. Here an experimental turbine engine made by the Austin Motor Co. is shown driving an 8 manifold pump assembly with water issuing through hoses at terrific projection. However, I believe this was a "one off".

Last edited:
Women played a vital roll, especially in Control Rooms, during WW2 and continue to do so to this present time.

There is a lady, well into her nineties whom I know, that served as a very young woman during WW2 in a local Control Room. I also have a former firefighter colleague, into his eighties now, who acted as a runner during WW2. He was only 14 at the time. There are many instances of under-aged people serving in the armed and civilian services during WW2 it appears. Something unlikely to happen today!

In the early nineteen fifties, whilst still attending school, I enrolled with the Volunteer Agricultural Camps scheme. The minimum entry age was, supposedly, seventeen and a half. I mentioned to the lady in the office, in Broad Street where I had enrolled, that I was unable to go due to my age. She asked my age but said I looked seventeen and a half (which I am sure I did not) so needless to say I went. It occupied a greater part of the school vacations, earned me money and kept me out of mischief - much to my parents pleasure. :encouragement:

Back