• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Auxiliary Fire Service

I am sure the reason the city does not have a commemorative history, as Chris mentions, is due to the structure of the fire service during WW2.
The AFS (Auxilliary Fire Service) was introduced in 1937 under the Air Raid Precautions Act. After hiccups, it got on its feet properly during 1938. It was partially provided for by local authorities but major items were from Government.
The NFS (National Fire Service) was introduced in 1941 being formed from the AFS and the large number (over 1600) of local authority brigades. It was not until 1943 that it was in statute but had by that time certainly earned its laurels. The Fire Services Act of 1947 saw, in 1948, fire brigades reverting to local authority control. One of the difficulties encountered in the early stages of the blitz was a degree of incompatibility of equipment between the various local authority brigades and also with the AFS whose equipment was provided by the local authority. The NFS brought a high degree of standardisation, particularly with the supply and delivery of water at fire. The demands made on fire brigades, in large towns and cities during the bombing meant assistance being brought in from very distant places and each brigade had its own equipment. In many cases it was compatible with closer towns, but large conflagrations meant people attending fires great distances from their home bases. In present ad recent times, it is not uncommon to travel fifty miles or more to assist at very large fires or disasters.

Hi Ian,
Great to hear from you and your Group. I posted a photograph in October 2010 of a large group of AFS/NFS Firemen. They are grouped in front of a large ivy covered building, but I don't know where it is (other than somewhere in Birmingham). My Dad, Henry Bamford (known as Harry) is 6th from the left on the back row. He lived in Alum Rock and I think he was stationed at Norton Hall (think that is the large white building in Ward End Park, Washwood Heath), but I dont think that is the building in the photograph. Do you think anyone in your Group can identify it? Or maybe they might recognise someone in the photo from their past. I have Dad's cap badge which I have attached to a leather key ring. Cheers, Judy Walker (nee Bamford).
Hi, I have just stumbled on this thread & am aware its from a few years back now, but I am trying to look for the photo you posted to see if my Grandad is on there. Can you let me know where I can see it to see if I can identify him

Brummie Nutcase,

Welcome to the Forum. However, the not so good news is that the site was hacked in 2011 and many of the photographs were lost. Not all of those have been replaced and unless HannahLuke4 sees your message and replaces it, there's nothing that can be done about the error message you receive.

Maurice :cool:

Brummie Nutcase,

Welcome to the Forum. However, the not so good news is that the site was hacked in 2011 and many of the photographs were lost. Not all of those have been replaced and unless HannahLuke4 sees your message and replaces it, there's nothing that can be done about the error message you receive.

Maurice :cool:
Oh no!!! That’s really sad. Thank you very much for the reply though.

Hi, I have just stumbled on this thread & am aware its from a few years back now, but I am trying to look for the photo you posted to see if my Grandad is on there. Can you let me know where I can see it to see if I can identify him
The photo was reposted earlier in this thread

Hi, I'm trying to trace a family member who I understand was in the Birmingham fire service around WW2 and after. His name was William Payne known as Mick. Is there someway i could find out which station he was at and anything about his time in the service.
Thanks in advance
Duncan Payne

Hi All, My GrandFather and GrandMother were both in the Fire Service during the WW2 in Birmingham. My Grandmother was on the SwitchBoard routing calls and information to the various Stations. My GrandFather, Cheshire was a Fireman. I am not aware which Station he was at. I do know also he played in Fire Service Band playing Clarient.

Looking through some of my GrandMothers photos we found the following Articles which may help people. We think my Grandmother may have saved them as they may have known the people involved. Also included a picture of my grandfather with two pals, names unknown.

Attachments

• rollofhonour.png
    rollofhonour.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • Cheshire-Crew.png
    Cheshire-Crew.png
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • newfire1.png
    newfire1.png
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • birmingmail.png
    birmingmail.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
The cutting about the death of Station Officer Gammon brings back memories of old type fire appliances. None in the cab comforts of the modern fire engines: open sides, where you held on for dear life, assisted by you leather belt - if you had time. The Officer-in-Charge faced forward but usually the was no door as protection.
I rode this type of fire engine for the first year of service. We got a Bedford with a cabs afterwards,

Would these men have been part of the AFS ? The article from which this was extracted describes them as Birmingham Fire Guard Service. So was it part of the Home Guard ? Viv.

D98CFCA3-4D4A-4455-B9B1-9E5CD0585F6E.jpeg586EB49A-E180-4402-94E2-BE5D82C61E8F.jpeg

My mother did Fire Watching at Briscoe’s factory where she worked during the war. I think this was a designation for any possible daytime enemy action. They also had numbered badges for identification purposes.

Whilst not AFS but the NFS my father who had joined in 1939 serving until 1945 was one of 60 men sent to London in 1940 to assist the London Brigade in West Ham Silvertown . I have attached a copy of a letter from the Earl of Dudley thanking the men for their service.

Attachments

• dukes letter.pdf
    289.3 KB · Views: 33
Whilst not AFS but the NFS my father who had joined in 1939 serving until 1945 was one of 60 men sent to London in 1940 to assist the London Brigade in West Ham Silvertown . I have attached a copy of a letter from the Earl of Dudley thanking the men for their service.
Great photo thank you for sharing with us

It was sometime in 1943 that my mother and I moved to 10 Augustus Road in Edgbaston. We lived in the lodge to the main house which was an area HQ of the NFS. I used to play with the chief's son on the Green Goddess type fire engine which was kept there. The house remained with the NFS until 1948 when it became the HQ of The Birmingham Regional Hospital Board with the founding of the NHS.

BravoZuluOne, what a bostin set of pictures my Father was Stationed at an AFS Station on the Coventry Road I opened your pictures with bated breath hoping to see him but know such luck. The Auxiliary Fire Service History Group would love to have sight of these pictures if you would kindly give you permission to share them. Regards Ken W

BravoZuluOne, what a bostin set of pictures my Father was Stationed at an AFS Station on the Coventry Road I opened your pictures with bated breath hoping to see him but know such luck. The Auxiliary Fire Service History Group would love to have sight of these pictures if you would kindly give you permission to share them. Regards Ken W
Thank you Ken. Absolutely...share away. Is there a link to the Auxiliary Fire Service History Group?

BravoZuluOne looks like Nick Savage has posted your pictures on The Auxiliary Fire Service History Group on Facebook so I didn't get the chance of crediting them to you after we exchanged messages. I have took the liberty of sharing your pics with WMFS Retired & Serving Firefighters Network in the name of BravoZuluOne via Birmingham History Forum. Regards.

Back