• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stechford - The Village

Hi den
many thanks for the pic of the old yardley yes it was a cracking pub in its day i have not been there in at least thirty five years
i think it was in the later part of the seventies or early eighties that it was a coppper whom took it on
as for afew years early there was abit of trouble going on with fighting regular smashing the place up abit
so the ex copper took it on and cleaned it up
he may have cleaned the pub up then but as far as his meals go they was on the small size and in fact if my mem,ory serves me correctly
my old dutchess complained about the shortage aand size of the meal but all in play he did give her an extra meal free
my sister inlaw used to live in the big house directly oppersite she now lives in aldridge
yes i had about fiftie kids every night to organise and they all bonded on together all except the lindon rd kids rebbels they was
one of the girls grew up and used to play for the solihull girls foot ball team and the england team
once again den thanks for my moment of my past and to had my little iceing of my memories
i marrid a girl from mannor rd and we have been married for more than thirty six years if you rememer the fields
and the flats being built there was a place called the croft on mannor rd and there was a telephone box there
and thats where we met and chatted her up and made our first date right out side that very box on one bon fire night
best wishes den astonion

slightly off the track but in the area, i remember walking through Gayhurst Drive onto Jennifer Walk, there used to be Rolls Royce parked up, the story went the guy had won some money on "the pools"

slightly off the track but in the area, i remember walking through Gayhurst Drive onto Jennifer Walk, there used to be Rolls Royce parked up, the story went the guy had won some money on "the pools"

Well I live just up Church Rd opposite the Jennifer Walk entrance and I've not heard that one. Twasn't me anyway. I did win the Card in the Richmond once in 1979..3 quid I think.

it was maybe mid 70's to early 80's as you walked up Gyhurst Drive, towards Jennifier Walk, it was on the right hand side, yellow/gold coloured one from what i remember!

hi dwilly
yes you are quite correct and you have it one it was the man with the yellow one i do know it to be a fact
he was the pools winner and he bought the rolls it was in the early seventys and he left in the middle of the seventys
be not mistaken dwilly i remember it very well my mother inlaw lived along the rd from him and we lived a stone throw from is house
in fact the croft i mentioned the other day was less than one hundred yards from his house
have a nice day best wishes astonion

My dad lived in Station Road, opposite the police station and I can remember the row of shops opposite the swimming baths, there was aclothes and wool shop there where I always had a dress from when I stayed with my great aunts in the summer.
The chip shop by the bus terminus was also a fond memory, and dad says his dad should have had shares in the Richmond, he put so much behind the bar there!!!
Also remember walking up to Corpus Christi for Mass, again when I stayed at my great-aunts, such good times!
Sue

Hi Ian, I was born just round the corner from Albert Road, in Redthorn grove in 1954. I remember the toy shop with the model train going endlessly through the tunnels in the window. There was a off licence it the same place as the latest picture, the white faced building on the left used to be a bakers - I got sent there on a saturday morning to get a freshly baked loaf for my mum.

Where was the police station before they built the big one where it is now? Was it the bottom of Fieldhouse Road where a big house is currently being renovated?

Where was the police station before they built the big one where it is now? Was it the bottom of Fieldhouse Road where a big house is currently being renovated?
Hi dwilly, The house on the corner (currently being turned into apartments) of Station Rd on the R/hand side before you get to the swimming baths was occupied by Dr. Masters our family Doctor and he was a very nice man. Len.

was it a hostel for battered women, for want of a better saying, at some stage?
dwilly, I think tha hostel was on the on the other side of the road along with houses used for immigrants and homeless people. Len.

That's why we always used the Richmond or the Blakesley Astonian! Here's a shot of the Stechford Club, used by a lot of coppers, and some older ones of the old Village. Good luck old timer..always nice to hear from you.
Dennis,
I love the pictures. I used to live in Francis Road until 1970 when I left the area upon marriage. There used to be a sweet shop called Robson's. I think it became Tommy Deering's but can't be sure. The first shop past the gully was a greengrocer's and next to that was Burrows the grocer. A little further along was a chemist and Oakley's which again was a grocer's and I think it sold hardware. Opposite that was the Post Office which had a penny library. Almost next door was a proper hardware shop. Pearce Electric was further along and Sylvia Hood was the haberdashery shop. There was an off licence by Hood's and my grandmother regularly used to send me to buy her a bottle of stout during my lunch break from Stechford Primary school.

I can't believe that Francis Road has not changed. Last time I happened to be in the area it was so run down and seedy with litter everywhere.

Welcome batmadviv. I'm sure you will fond plenty on here to enjoy.

Tommy Deering's was always a motor sales business since I can remember in the 40s and 50s. Do you remember the Polish Pork butchers in the Village? George Radzski's I think, or something like that? I do remember all those shops you mentioned. The Post Office is derelict now. Cox's was the Outdoor when I was a lad.

Everywhere round there is 'run down and a bit seedy' like a lot of the 'old ends', but Francis Road is as good as it gets nowadays. Still largely unchanged by 'diversity'...

Hi,
Apologies to Dennis, and thanks; today's the first time I've logged on since before Christmas so I didn't see the excellent pictures of Francis Road & Morden Road until now. Brilliant shots of the elegant houses and the rolling fields that truly made Stechford a village at the time.
I remember a lot of the shops. Up the alleyway and to the left was the greengrocer, to the right a grocer's and then two butcher's shops, one of which was the pork butcher, then Deering's, I think, then the sweet shop, the newsagents and another shop that changed hands a few times.
Opposite that was the haberdashery where my mother used to buy so many things - ribbons, underwear, gloves, elastic - all kept in row upon row of pull-out drawers. I loved that shop, they seemed to sell so many different things.
Angela

Welcome batmadviv. I'm sure you will fond plenty on here to enjoy.

Tommy Deering's was always a motor sales business since I can remember in the 40s and 50s. Do you remember the Polish Pork butchers in the Village? George Radzski's I think, or something like that? I do remember all those shops you mentioned. The Post Office is derelict now. Cox's was the Outdoor when I was a lad.

Everywhere round there is 'run down and a bit seedy' like a lot of the 'old ends', but Francis Road is as good as it gets nowadays. Still largely unchanged by 'diversity'...

Hi Dennis,

I don't know why but your name seems familiar - from somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind. Perhaps it was mentioned by my father after a trip to the Richmond. Did you used to play bowls at the pub? Dad used to use the G.O. at the Richmond interspersed with visits to the bookies by Bragg's.

I do not remember the Polish butcher's shop but I do remember Deering's well. My bedroom window overlooked Deering's empire while I was doing my homework. On the right up the gully from Francis Road was Holtom's the baker. I was at primary school with the granddaughter of the business until she emigrated to Toronto with her family. Michael Oakley from Oakley's was also in my class.

I recently learnt that Tommy Deering's grandson - a soldier - was killed in Afghanistan a couple of years ago.

batmadviv

Hi,
Apologies to Dennis, and thanks; today's the first time I've logged on since before Christmas so I didn't see the excellent pictures of Francis Road & Morden Road until now. Brilliant shots of the elegant houses and the rolling fields that truly made Stechford a village at the time.
I remember a lot of the shops. Up the alleyway and to the left was the greengrocer, to the right a grocer's and then two butcher's shops, one of which was the pork butcher, then Deering's, I think, then the sweet shop, the newsagents and another shop that changed hands a few times.
Opposite that was the haberdashery where my mother used to buy so many things - ribbons, underwear, gloves, elastic - all kept in row upon row of pull-out drawers. I loved that shop, they seemed to sell so many different things.
Angela

Hi Angela,

I used to live at 47, one of the large Victorian houses three doors from the school. My mother used to buy hair ribbon from the shop for my hair and I remember being mortified when my grandmother told me to go there and get some knicker elastic!
Do you remember Margaret Oakes who lived in Morden Road and who also worked for Tommy Deering in the office?

I recall visiting Francis Road about 18 years ago and it was definitely past its best.

batmadviv

Hi Dennis,

I don't know why but your name seems familiar - from somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind. Perhaps it was mentioned by my father after a trip to the Richmond. Did you used to play bowls at the pub? Dad used to use the G.O. at the Richmond interspersed with visits to the bookies by Bragg's.

I do not remember the Polish butcher's shop but I do remember Deering's well. My bedroom window overlooked Deering's empire while I was doing my homework. On the right up the gully from Francis Road was Holtom's the baker. I was at primary school with the granddaughter of the business until she emigrated to Toronto with her family. Michael Oakley from Oakley's was also in my class.

I recently learnt that Tommy Deering's grandson - a soldier - was killed in Afghanistan a couple of years ago.

batmadviv

Your dad would be bang on then batmadviv. What was his name? I may be able to rat him up for you a bit! I knew all the characters in the G.O., as did my dad, also Denis Williams but much older!

I am a Bluenose from the early 40's - born and lived two doors up (No 78) from the Richmond 1947-67. The Richmond was my dad's temple for many years, and I joined him in his devotions when old enough to play Bowls - then I moved to the Broadway - sing songs every night in the back room - then switched to the Yew Tree, Yardley near where we live now. Now all the old gang play at the Coop Sports ground, although the grim one has taken more than a few. I used the Ritz as my early shrine (where I met my wife at the ABC Minors), then discovered the various local pubs, and via bowls over the next 30 years, pretty much every pub in the Midlands, which WAS a sizeable number. Now semi retired but with Family History research leading to Local History mania, here I stand. A card carrying nostalgic nutter who may not be able to play Polly on the Mopstick any more, but can still hear nan's immortal lines - E's drunk as a bobowler - or mind ow you goo across the 'orseroad ringing in my ears. Oh yes, I also had to scrape horsemuck from the Road for grandad's roses . And fetch his Albrights and St Bruno. I also share memories of Cattell Rd where my dad was born, and Denton Grove where I was mainly drug up by me Nan and my Aunts. Oh yes, and I also 'went out with'. i.e. chucked stuff at, Tommy's daughter Kathleen when we were kids. A right ginger nut egg. What a temper!

Some more photos of the old and newer days....the last one shows the Post Office all boarded up, but an interesting shop sign for Deakins Hardware Shop...sigh...

Hi batmadvid,
I don't recall Margaret Oakes, sorry. I had a friend called Judith whose family lived on Morden Road and I went to school with a girl called Mary Walshe who lived on the left hand side towards the park.
I went back to Stechford about 3 years ago, Francis Road had changed, but not nearly as much, or as badly, as Albert Road and the local shops. Most of the shops have shut down or been turned into houses, those that have survived are run-down and uncared for.
Sad to see, but it's a common sight nowadays, don't you think?
Angela

Hi Angela,

I used to live at 47, one of the large Victorian houses three doors from the school. My mother used to buy hair ribbon from the shop for my hair and I remember being mortified when my grandmother told me to go there and get some knicker elastic!
Do you remember Margaret Oakes who lived in Morden Road and who also worked for Tommy Deering in the office?

I recall visiting Francis Road about 18 years ago and it was definitely past its best.

batmadviv

Do you remember a family just near you in those big Victorian houses left side of Albert Rd towards the church, named Romney/Evans by any chance? Harry Romney was the dad, Hilda (previously an Evans) was the mom and Tony was her son and my pal..

Sorry Dennis I don't remember them at all. On our side of the road I remember the Young and Husselbee families. Miss Welch, the reception teacher from Stechford Primary lived next door.

Margaret Oakes' daughter was called Judith. We all used to go to All Saints' Church. They lived on the right hand side of Morden Road going up towards Albert Road.

Yes, I agree it is a common sight but all places have their day. I suppose if things continue to deteriorate they will be ripe for demolition and blocks of 'apartments' constructed. Those old Victorian houses were a devil to heat and decorate.

That was my friend - Judith Oakes - she lived in the house at the end of the short row on the right hand side. I never really knew her mother though.
I went to Brownies, Girl Guides and then later, the Youth Club round at the All Saints' Church hall.
On Francis Road I had a few friends - Jill & Ann Taberer, Julie Mowinski, who lived opposite the school and Magda, who lived in the house on the corner of the alleyway.

Angela,

I remember the name Taberer but they were more my sister's age, and a girl my age called Lorraine. Can't remember her surname just now (senior moment). She lived in one of the semis on the left towards Morden Rd. I think she had a younger brother.

batmadviv

Hi batmadvid,
I was between the ages of the two Taberer sisters - Ann was a little older and Jill was a little younger than me.
I can't remember anyone called Lorraine off hand. I remember a few of our neighbours but not many of them had children. Next door to us they had 3 sons but they were all younger than me.
Did you used to go to Morden Road Park much or up to the Dell - My brother gave me my first cigarette up there when I was 12 and he was 14; I was a smoker for 25 years and I still blame him!
Angela

Hi batmadvid,
I was between the ages of the two Taberer sisters - Ann was a little older and Jill was a little younger than me.
I can't remember anyone called Lorraine off hand. I remember a few of our neighbours but not many of them had children. Next door to us they had 3 sons but they were all younger than me.
Did you used to go to Morden Road Park much or up to the Dell - My brother gave me my first cigarette up there when I was 12 and he was 14; I was a smoker for 25 years and I still blame him!
Angela

Hi Angela,

No, I didn't go to the parks very much. I remember falling through 'spider' roundabout when I was small but that was the park between Yardley Green Road and Bordesley Green East. The Dell seemed to be full of 'unsavoury' characters and I remember being in Morden Road Park with 2 friends and we were 'flashed' at by a bloke in a raincoat. We couldn't believe what we were seeing so walked past several times to make sure!! The days of innocence. After that I never went again. That was before we went to secondary school.

batmadviv

Good link, Dennis, thanks, and a really interesting story about Richmond Road and the bomb. What an experience that must have been.
Can you just clear something up for me regarding the attached pictures, please? I think they both show the same Richmond Road shops - the Candy Box now being the Lifestyle Express - but I saw the original one labelled as Albert Road earlier on in the thread. Am I right or not?
Angela

Back