• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells Girls School

hi maggie...miss kirby is not ringing any bells but yes i remember the annexe very well...smack bang opposite some maisionettes...i used to have gardening and science lessons there...miss gumely..or it could have been gumbly took gardening and miss jones science....those maisionettes are still there...

lyn

she was that maggie but i picked up a few good gardening tips from her lol....must say i got on with miss jones and enjoyed her science lessons...crikey i can still remember a line or two from the lesson about the heart..she must have really drummed it into us...

the heart is a muscular pump with maintains the circulation of the blood around the body.
it is suspended in the thorax..slightly to the left of the mid ventrical line....

well i think thats how it went...cant beleive i can still remember that after all these years...

lyn

do ya remember when that nurse came into the annex and made us all close our eyes then asked us a question .lol bet ya don't then she gave us all a leaflet..

Astoness

Last name as mine ‘King’

Did you know from one of my childhood abodes front bedroom (Defford Place), you could see the girls in the Lozells Annexe classrooms (cooking/sewing?) All I need now is a memory to recall faces.

Ray

no i didnt know that ray...the name king is a vaugue memory...gosh i wish i could remember more names....maggie i loved pe lessons...miss wood bless her used to take me and my best mate to other schools to play badmington...she want me to take either that or tennis up seriously but you know what its like...i was in to much of a rush to take me exams...get to work and enjoy meself...oh gosh do you remember the little room or was it more like a cupboard at the end of the hall as you went in on the left where the pumps were kept...im afraid i cant remember the nurse coming in and passing out leaflets....

lyn

hi reg..there was only one hall at lozells girls school but as both myself and maggie are convinced the pic is taken there we will stick with that..unless of course your brian could deff confirm it and after all this time i doubt if he could....any road up its a brillient shot and a rare on to boot...ps ive posted your st andrews church pics....

lyn
Thanks Lyn, where did you post those St' Andrew's Pictures, I've looked on the Church thread And didn't see them. You haven't got a picture of Theodore Street, in your collection have ya.?

hi reg...click on the church thread then click on st andrews....without looking i know for sure i have not any pics of theordore st so i will search for one for you..also someone else may hopefully have one...

lyn

Older sister recalls senior school hall resembled a church and she used to have some lessons in the church facing Lozells Infants. Thus she is unsure which building the hall was in.

My wife also reminds me she attended Lozells Senior from circa 1961 - 65 Christine Kimberley.

Ray

hi ray..its been confirmed that the hall is indeed the senior one....funnily enough a few days ago i was down the old end attempting to take some then and now pics and i just happened to take one of the church opposite the infants where your sister would have taken lessons...

lyn

Lyn,

Thank you, sad to see a church that did and I gather still does so much good look so sad and tired. Yet last year when I went past the Union pub, it looked from the outside well kept. One wonders how the Methodists then and now would feel about that. Still such is life.

Ray

yes ray its in sad repair is the church..do you know i had to walk past it everytime i went to school and never noticed who laid the stone but there again i think as kids we just used to walk past buildings and not see things of interest...we only looked straight ahead...touching on the union pub...its still up for sale and walking past it the other day not one i would go in...the gunmakers on the other hand shocked me to the core...popped in for some light refreshments as you do and i couldnt get me hat on....its almost original as when it was built...theres a really long passagway which still has the old tiling on...this pub is bigger than it looks and seems to go back for miles...i liked it and felt right at home....and the staff were so friendly...i would have no problems going there again... just a basic pub..nowt fancy but then thats the type i personally like.... anyhow here is a pic of the church stone that was laid by harry lucas

lyn

lyn,

Indeed kids back then had fun on their minds after leaving school not reading stones, would we have known who it was anyway, would we have cared? Thanks for pic of stone now as age does bring interest.

From childhood to 21 ish I’ve frequented the Union, but never the Gunmakers, perhaps I saw no need. However after reading your descriptive post I’ll put it on my to-do list when, all going to plan, we return permanently to Brum next year. As good basic food in pleasant surroundings with pleasent staff is also my cup of tea or is that pint of brew. I also intend, invite forthcoming, to meet at one the get together from here.

Ray

quite right ray..in my case it was spending at least 5 nights a week at spring hill rollar rink and the odd nightclub up the town...shame about the union the way its gone downhill...a sign of the times im afraid...and of course when you come back to brum next year you are most welcome to join us on the forum meet ups...we shall look forward to that...

lyn

Dear Lyn,
I remember Miss wood with affection, me and our Sandra took our bronze, silver and gold survival medals at Woodcock Street Swimming Baths and knowing our Mom didn't have the means to pay, she kindly paid for them and presented them to us in the school hall. I wish I still had the medals and certificates, but unfortunately when times were hard, our Mom filed them down, to put into the gas meter. When my husband died I did a scrap book for him on his life and included in his book was his swimming passes, his swimming survival medals, Chipper Club membership card and his first employment card at 13 so that he could work for the local newsagent in Kingstanding. Does Birmingham Council still provide free swimming passes?, do they still run survival courses in school and achieve medals and is the Chipper club still running?
Have a good weekend, with kind regards Sherrill

Sherrill what a shame your mom had to ruin your medals we used to use halfpennies the gas man used to giv e us them back after he had taken the money he required, they were always ready if needs must. Dek

hi again sherrill...i loved miss woods she was always encouraging us to continue playing the sports we were good at...i see owing to the new upgrade last year the pics i posted were lost so i am reposting a pic of the school and one i am quite sure is the hall were we did pe...on this occassion it was used for someones 21st birthday bash....pretty sure this would be the hall were your medals were presented to you but maybe you could confirm this....

lyn

Last edited:
hi sherrill...here are pic of the lozells infants and juniors and lozells seniors...the senior school one is to date the only pic i have come accross and i got this from the central library and paid to have a decent copy of it from them...

just going back to the gas meters...it is such a shame that your medals were filed down but in those days it was called survival and very often there was no choice...if we ran out of money for the meter our dad used to fold a piece of card into just the right size..put it in the coin slot and pull the lever...lol...

any how here are the pics...

pic 1 infants and juniors
pic 2 lozells girls...this was taken in 1968 and i would still have been there...

Last edited:
Lyn you must of beeen at Lozells about the same time as me. It is my first time on this site and it is great to see old pics and read peoples memories. Just a few of mine.Going down to the annexe for gardening/art. Remembering being in a lesson with miss jones, the welsh teacher when she told us about the aberfan disaster. Sometimes nipping in a little dingy cafe (by the annexe ) FOR A CUP OF OXO when it was cold.Going to Warren farm for cookery, just a few of the teachers that come to mind, mrs banbury,miss watts,miss cage arrrrgh,mrs woods,miss brown,mrs gumbley ,miss woods (in her little grey gym skirt) mrs eden,miss read to name just a few .The photo of the hall brings back a lot of memories including our leaving party 1967.

I also used to go to the rollerink a lot ( I can smell those sweaty boots just talking about it) The Union pub had like a clubroom upstairs where a lot of wedding receptions were held, and i,ve took many of pop bottle back there to the little outdoor .

Hiya Topsy ..I went to Lozells as well ..hated Miss Cage(maths) and Miss Gumbley (sewing).. ..i well remember going to cookery at Warren Farm and the annexe down the road ....many years later i had to go to my son's schooll in Weoley Castle .couldn't believe it when the headmistress came out it was Miss Read...welcome to the forum

Last edited:
topsy..can you try posting that again please...would love to see that report but i cant open the attachment...

lyn

brillient topsy...miss gumbley used to take my gardening classes at the annexe just further down from the school...i well remember the head miss reed and miss or mrs banbury was the deputy head and it was she who sent me home once to go and wash me neck again....lol...i was always a tomboy and was most likely climbing trees 10 mins before school started

lyn

Mrs Banbury was my last teacher before i left school.She was always quoting something from Deuteronamy from the bible.Hadn,t got a clue what she was on about.Perhaps she ought to have taught me how to spell it ha!

Hi Maggie, i also had miss Gage, i also disliked her she threw me in the swimming pool (im sure i need help over this lol) did you ever have miss Jewel she was so nice, Topsy iv spoke to you about Gower street boys school didnt realize you went to Lozells girls.

Hi lindev, yes i remember Miss Cage Twin Sets, No bra,Board rubbers being slung, all these thing spring to mind at the mention of her name. I left 1967.I can,t recall a miss jewel.

morning lindev (chris) bit off thread here but if you came to our xmas bash we could also have a lozells girls reunion lol.... maggie and topsy and coming .with me and you that makes 4 of us....

lyn

Back