• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kingstanding

It's strange how things change Dave, when i was at Kingsthorne Junior , the headmaster ( Mr Bullus ) was quite strict, and we did all sit at desks and learn. There was a teacher there called Mr Fryer who used to do things like staple you to a wall if you were misbehaving , he was always in trouble with the parents. I wonder what the school is like now ?

dave is there any chance you can re post the pics of miles pet shop please that were on posts 323..358 and 359..we seem to have lost them..

moss..i wonder if you could also re post your pic from post 318

cheers..

lyn

Last edited:
thanks dave... yes its the black and whites one i wanted... i think the one moss put on is an old one too..hope he has still got it...

many thanks..

cheers...

lyn x

some of you may find this of interest...its for the kids really but maybe some grandparents may want to take the grandchildren to it and its for a very good cause...miles pet shop is on the hawthorn road....

lyn

moss i dont think that was the pic you posted before as i cant remember it... but its a cracking shot..its deffinately the shops that include miles pet shop i would say...

thanks everso..

lyn

Last edited:
morning dek..yes it threw me for a second as until recently there was a cycle shop for years opposite the co op....but its deffinately the miles pet shop end...

lyn

Dek I have asked before but am I dreaming or was there a Hammonds Organ shop opposite the Co-op. Pete says there was. Jean.

Hello Lyn,The only other picture of that block of shops with Miles in it, is this one.But i doubt if it is the one you are looking for.Moss.

I don't think this one has been on here before,it was taken in 1928.I am told it is a photo looking along Hawthorn Rd from College Rd.
It shows the wall of the isolation hospital on the left.This is where Perry Common Library now stands.By the way the library re opens next Monday.Moss.

Hi all , the bike shop by Miles eventually became a Halfords , and i bought my first adult bike there a 5 speed racer by Sun. The Organ shop further down the Hawthorn rd i believe was Taylors , it sold hi fi's and organs , i used to buy my vinyls from their too , it had a great little record kiosk.

Ian

Another lovely old photo moss keep em coming but it,s left me a little puzzled if the wall on the left is as you say the old hospital and the library was built there how come when you look down Hawthorn Rd from Kingstanding Rd the Library is on the right hand side was the road moved over to build the houses.Dek

moss i think thats the one..thanks ever so much....the reason i am asking for any old pics is as some of you may know miles petshop has been there for many years now...50 or 60 i think and one of the girls who works there is setting up a little websiite for chris the owner..it was his dad who opened the shop...so many thanks to dave and moss for reposting these pics...

lyn..x

I don,t think it,s the Ridgeway as it shows houses on both sides of the road the Witton Cemetery wall goes from one end to the Ridgeway to the other.Dek

Hello MossyG. I am sure this was the shop we bought our first Radio Gram. [which we still have in the loft] I might be able to tell you the year we bought it. Also think this was where the fish and chip shop was. Used to buy 2 pennyworth of chips in a sort of cone made of news paper. Miriam.

Back