• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ridpool Road Schools Lea Village Girls Secondary Modern

Hi Angjim: Those two schools are listed on the FriendsReunited web site
a www.friendsreunited.co.uk. Gwen Thrasher and Dorothy Bowen have a profile on this site. You can e-mail them from the site. The site is free to use.

Hi Angjim
Yes I remember some of the names you mentioned I did know a few school friends out of Hurstcroft I lived at the bottom in Eddish Road. i have a sister Margaret who also went to Ridpool and Lea Village.

Does anyone remember the Dickson family, Henrietta (Etta), Cathrine (Cath) and Josephine (Josie) of Eatesbrooke Rd and Ron Atkinson of football fame lived in Eatesbrook Rd, circa 1937? onwards the girls would at school 1937?. Len.

dottieau, i think i used to go be in the same class as your sister at lea village, also janet ansell i think she lived over the road from you.
LEN, ron atkinson used to go to school with my brother and his sister jaqualine was in the same class as me.

Anneveitch, Thanks for your reply i knew Ron Atkinson had a brother named Graham who was said to be a better footballer than Ron but he was injured in a car accident and had to give up playing, i did not know they had a sister. Len.

I attended both these schools in Lea Hall 1947 to 1953, and 1953
to 1957. Teachers I remember are: Ridpool Road, Miss James,(infants)
(junior) Miss Prewitt,Miss M Jones, Mr Parker, Mr Davis, Mr Waite and Mr Gregory was the Headmaster.

(Lea Village Girls School) Miss Barker the Headmistress,Miss Morgan, Miss Evans, Miss O,Neill, Mrs Docherty,

Do any of you good people out there remember any of these names or have any photos?
My sister and myself attended Lea village girls school, my sister would have been there the same time as yourself her name is Maureen Preen and her friends were Joan millman Sheila Bar and Gwen Thrasher to mention a few. I also went to Ridpool road school and remember Mr Waite, Mr Parker a Miss head and all the teachers you mention at Lea Village were there when I attended in 1964-68. Angela preen

Re: rudgeyard grove

Hi My aunt and uncle (Louie & Joe Cosnett) lived in eatesbrook road and their children ( my cousins) played football with Ron Atkinson too. Their names were Joan and Tony Cosnett, do you remember them?I lived in Hurstcroft Road and remember the Butlers who lived down a grove off Hustcroft is this the one you mention?

I went to Ridpool Road School late 50s early 60s and the headmaster was Mr Thorne do you remember him was he there when you went I also remember Mr Waite and Mr Parker and Mrs Alcock and Miss head do you?

I didn,t go to ridpool road schools, i went to lea village from the infants through to the senior (1949-1959) I can remember the teachers you mentioned also a miss Beardsmore and Mrs. Twelvetrees who used to do domestic science also there was a male teacher but i can,t think of his name.
We used to live in the flat above Mrs. Butler, she was a great neighbour.
The only name i seem to remember is bar, but i can,t put a face to it.

Annveitch, when did you live above Mrs Butler? the family I remember living there were the Teeces, by the way Ronnie Atkinson never had a sister it was just him and Graham
and lencops was right Graham was a better footballer than his brother. I hope we can keep this thread going speak to you soon
the babby

angjim, I remember Mr Thorne he came after Mr Gregory who died whilst I was at Ridpool Junior school I remember all the teachers bar Mrs Head was she after 1953

I also remember some of the names you mention only wish I could remember their faces
I think its called old age!! the babby

the babby, we moved to rudyard grove in 1969, 8b above the Butlers, when we were there her 2 sons were still living with them, Tony and Phillip. Mr. Bennett and his son was it dougie (the window cleaner) were still there, Eddie cant remember her second name, lived at no 3, lady named lil and her husband lived at no 7b, a mother and daughter lived at no 4 or 4b the rest of us were new comers. but it was like you said it was only a small grove and everyone got on. 3 of my children went to ridpool road and they had there school photos took sitting on a wall by the rose garden. when i was a kid we used to go to ridpool during the summer holidays they had a play scheme going, when i think back to those school holidays the sky was always blue and it seems as if it never rained, happy memories. I always thought Jaquline Atkinson was big rons sister, perhaps its because she came from that side of the village. I used to live on the bank in Lea Hall road, by the library, When i was about 16 i knew a girl in eatsbrooke road, i think her name was Sandra Slatford, she committed suicide it was a shame she was only the same age as me. also i used to go around with jackie Mcgrady, she had 2 sisters, pat and can,t think of the younger ones name, also mary mellabar and pat collins.

Ann,sorry for the delay in answering I've been babysitting in Nottingham, I remember the play scheme we used to call it the play centre children came from all over the village we all had wonderful times at the end of the holidays on the last day of the scheme we used to do a play and have a concert,does anyone else remember the good times?
The babby

Looking back over this thread nobody hasan`t remembered
a Teacher called Miss Preedy , does anyone recall her ???
ragga ....

Ragga,

I remember a Miss Preddy who taught me at Ridpool in 1964 (aged 9).

She was a wonderful teacher, as was Mr Waite. If it is the same lady, she moved to Bath around '65 to get married and continue teaching down that area.

I seem to recall a class photo from around that time posted either on "Friends Reunited" or on this site somewhere. If I can find the link I will put it on.

Best wishes

Ron

I was at Ridpool Road 1948 - 1955 my name then was Carole Beebee. I remember Miss Wilkinson - she gave me an ancient wooden box for being able to count to ten in French! I have photos I shall have to dig out to post. A favoutite teacher of mine was also Mr Waite - do others remember the 10 question test after assembly every morning? I lived at 26 Peplow Road. I went on to Saltley Grammar - Margaret Barr also passed the 11+ and went to SG. Now I live 300kms South of Adelaide in South Australia breeding Limousin Cattle on 2100 acres - what a difference! I had a boy friend when I was about 5/6 I think his name was Roger Fisher - I used to go to his house as he had a TV to watch Muffin the Mule. He asked me to marry him and brought a curtain ring to school. Love to hear from anyone who remembers me.
Just discovered this site and it is so nostalgic to read other's memories about school.
Carole

Correction - Boyfriend's name was Robert Fisher.
Carole Burden nee Beebee

I wonder if any of these ladies who went to Lea village skool remember my wife Enid Turville, who sadly passed away last April I know her best friend was Margie Turner
who lived next door but one to Enid in Howden Place
To the whole world she was one person but to one person she was the whole world!

Bernard I did not remember your wife from school but I am always sorry to hear of the passing of fellow school members.

dottieau,thanks for your reply, I think just after the war they put the school leaving age up to fifteen which meant
Enid would have left in 1949 having been at Loveday street in 1934! I am very suprised no one remembers her.thanks again for your kind thoughts

Hi to all lea Village & Ridpool writers .
You all at some stage come to my shop my shop on the corner CAROL'STOY SHOP I remember lots of your surnames in particular
Vietch, I thank all of you and your families for you custom, god bless.

Hi, I attended the Lea Village schools: Lea Village Junior School (approx 1956-1960); Lea Village Senior Girls Secondary School (1960-1964). I remember Miss Barker the headmistress; I also remember Miss Josty (or Jostie?) who replaced Miss Barker while I was a student there. I had Miss Morgan who was known for being extremely strict. I had Miss Evans whom I loved. I had Mrs Docherty for English; she was very nice. I also had Mrs. Ross for P.E. I have forgotten some of them but I do remember the ones you mentioned.
I moved out of this area many years ago but I would love to be in contact with any classmates or fellow Lea Villagers.

Does anyone have copy of a lea village boys school magazine for the years 1958 -62. My brother david griffiths would like to see a copy. I myself attended Ridpool infants and juniers 1953 and lea village seniors 1961 -65.

.Hy newby, i also attended lea village 1961-65. Miss Beardsmore was my first teacher there, do you remember her?. I must say I enjoyed my time there, haven,t moved too far away from area, so watched it all change sadley .

Back