• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ridpool Road Schools Lea Village Girls Secondary Modern

the babby

proper brummie kid
I attended both these schools in Lea Hall 1947 to 1953, and 1953
to 1957. Teachers I remember are: Ridpool Road, Miss James,(infants)
(junior) Miss Prewitt,Miss M Jones, Mr Parker, Mr Davis, Mr Waite and Mr Gregory was the Headmaster.

(Lea Village Girls School) Miss Barker the Headmistress,Miss Morgan, Miss Evans, Miss O,Neill, Mrs Docherty,

Do any of you good people out there remember any of these names or have any photos?

I went to ridpool but in the 60s and it's still there unlike lea village which is half gone now it has houses and bungalows there now and the other half A block of the original school is a comunity hall and council office. My mom went to the school when it was known as lea village but it changed name to Mirfield when I went there in the 70s, the only photos I have is of me in the rose garden at ridpool infants and the playground in the juniors, if you like I could take a photo of the outside of the school as it's only a few miles away from where I live now just let me know.

Ridpool Road and Lea Village schools

Thank you mariew for your reply and it's very good of you to offer to take a photo,I haven't been back to Lea Hall since my parents died in the eighties.
I have relatives that live in Castle Brom and on Chelmsley wood so do visit round the area,but alas nothing stays the same.:rolleyes::rolleyes: :|:|
I should imagine that I am near to your mothers age ,what year did she go to school?

My mom was born in 1932 so I think she would have been older than you but she did tell me about how it was all fields when she was young and she had to walk all the way from colehall lane not many houses in those days and if you were late for school you got the cane and she was only ever late once and made sure she was never late again, sadly my mom died four years ago and I miss her very much but remember all of the stories about her childhood.

Last edited:
My sister went to Ridpool her name was Hazel but known as June Tongue then she went on to Cockshut Hill.
I moved to Rudyard Grove in 1975 and my children went there then onto Byng Kendrick senior school.
June was born in 1932, so I guess she'd be there around the same time as you, she lived in Church rd or was it Church lane lol I never know which is which!

Rudyard Grove

Jude Hi (I resisted the urge to type Hey Jude old joke !) my Grannie lived in Rudgeyard Grove no.6, I was born there in 1942, she move to Fordfield Rd,in the late fifties but she still kept in touch with the Teeces and the Butlers.
Were they there when you lived there or do you still live there? My cousins went to Byng Kendrick was that the uniform with a tartan skirt? or was it Maroon? look forward to your reply Jude:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi Ya , dont worry about the hey Jude~ my husband is American so its old hat now he he~
I moved into no 8 which was Mrs Butlers old home, the Teeces had gone by the tome I moved there too but my sister remembers the Teeces very well and funnily enough we befriended their Son Robert& his wife Josie
Sadly Mrs Barfield & her daughter Sheila from 4b, have both passed on now they had lived there since day one!
And this is so weird, two of my customers who come into my Pub both had grandparents who lived there too, one is Mrs Butlers grandaughter and the other Conrad Thomas's Nan lived at no 5. It really is a small world eh?
As for the schools BK was Maroon & Blue~ much to the disgust of my kids theyre all Bluenoses ha ha~, the Tartan kilts were St Wilfreds. Incidently both have amlgamated to be come South Birmingham College of Excellence or soem weird name like that!
If theres anything else you'd like to know I'll help if I can!:D

Added by Roger Lee - 09/01/2002 09:38:50This was Mr Hawkers class in 1978, I am the one on the back row, fourth from the right. We all left in 1981, do you recognise anyone? Most of the names are listed.Added by Diane Hutchins - 08/12/2001 16:24:01Infants school 1961/2? I'm the one third from right at back. I left school after infants and can't remember any names from this time apart from a friend named Gail (5th from right on front row?) If anyone recognises themselves please get in touch
only testing.ridpool school.

Added by Chris Dingley - 23/07/2006 20:03:09 Added by Jayne Cohen - 07/04/2006 10:49:35from left 2 right.. top.. kevin, mark, colin (kermit), steven, raymond, zak n colin. middle.. anthony, victoria, andrea, me, debra n barrington. bottom.. graham, kalvant, christine, mrs spence, julie, sharon n glyn.

R.I.P mrs spenceAdded by Dean McNally - 06/04/2006 08:47:11 Added by Nyree Williams - 01/08/2005 18:16:23Dean sent me this picture, so I thought it'll be nice to post it. So other people can share in our awful dress sense...Added by David Clayton - 10/02/2002 23:12:371956-57.

Head is Mr Thorn and teacher is Mr Parker. Johnny Blackwell is the goalie, Micheal Lowe on his right. I see Brian Shackleton, Billy Round, Trevor Bowen, Malcom ??? Sorry guys. Can't remember any more.
Added by David Clayton - 10/02/2002 23:03:25Thanks to Anita Prewitt, I now know that this is 1955/56 and the teacher is Miss Prewitt.Added by Mathew Millman - 14/12/2001 21:23:52Here is Ms Spencer's Class of 1984.
Karen ?, Roland Westwood, Wendy ?, Darryl ?, Sarah Harris, Mathew Millman, Jason Harris, Joanne Cotterill, Martin Newton, Lavina Meads, Graham Hadley, Steven Lynch, Clare Boyd, Steven Hadley, Natasha Lindsey, Raymond Kimberley, Michelle ?, Lisa Potter, Mark Martin, Debbie ?, ??, Neil Massey, Colin Cameron, Jason ?, Graig ?, Neil Williams. Where are they all now?Added by David Binder - 08/05/2001 01:55:45 Added by David Binder - 08/05/2001 01:53:51just testing again.sorry about using too much space.:)

Nice photos Billc the only name I recognise is millman but the one I went to school with was mark maybe it was his brother?

rudgeyard grove

Jude I have remembered other names from "down ther grove",the wilkinsons and the baileys also mrs burns and the norths also the bennetts lived above my gran you have opened up a stream of wonderful memories I spent my whole childhood playing "down the grove",even though I actually lived in Eatesbrook road we moved from living with my gran when I was about five,but I still prefered to go and play "down the grove " there where only 14 dwellings so everybody knew each other no doors were ever locked those were the days!!
by the way guess who lived in Eatesbrook Road and played football on our island. Ronnie Atkinson famous eh!!:):):):)

What memories you have brought back I to went to Ridpool Road and Lea Village girls.It was lovely to read the names of the people who lived down the grove as I had forgotten them. The only one I did remember is Teece as one of their lads married my moms sister. I remember the big bonfires they had in the grove. I lived in Eddish Road and my husband came from Eatesbrook. Happy days.

I'm glad you bought this thread back to life as it made me re read it, the babby said she remembers mr waite well he was my teacher at ridpool and I must say he was my favourite.

thank you dottieau for refreshing my thread,if you don't mind telling,what is your married name,? I lived in Eatesbrook Road from the age of five to 22 in the years 1957 to 1966 but my dad lived there till his death in 1987. So we where always there, even though we moved to Tamworth,so I would be interested to know, if I knew your husbands family.
Now the Grove, the only Dorothy I remember was Dorothy Burns, that isn't you is it? the Teeces were very friendly with my moms family Burke,Dolly was my Aunt Winnies best friend Margaret and Gwen were my friends,Joan was a little older than me, the brothers I don't remember their names only Freddie were all friendly with my uncles. What a lot of strolling down memory lane I've done today
:p:p
Mariew my favourite teachers was also Mr. Waite and Mr Parker. Does anyone remember the wooden buildings used as classrooms in Ridpool Rd,? we called them the huts!!

Gosh you have got a good memory, I had forgotten all about the wooden huts, but I always remembered the rose garden in the infants, I always loved that part of the school for some reason.

Last edited:

yes I remember the garden I think it had a little fish pond I remember the door to the garden was opposite Miss Wilkinson (the Headmistress) office, oh happy days, my all time favourite teacher was Miss James, I'm sure some one else must remember her, Bythe way lovely photograph I assume that was taken in the garden? such a pretty little girl, (no change there then)!!!;););)

Yes it was the rose garden we always had our photos took there in the infants, and you've jogged my memory again yes there was a fish pond, I wonder if they still have the rose garden?

dottiew I have been in touch with my Aunt and she said the Teece brothers were Freddie George,Harry and Billy.so I'm guessing one of these is your husbands relation am I right?:):)

Hi my name was Dorothy Bowen. Now its Curley. My favorite teacher was Mr Morris. who just seem to disappear of the face of the earth. When we asked about nobody would give us an answer we were very sad about that. My aunty Doll married George I think he would have been one of the eldest. I also remember Billy he lived on the corner of our road. I was very friendly with Margaret for a few years. I remember the huts at the back of the school I had one one year in them. Its not till you start reading other peoples memories you recall some of your own Thanks.

Back