• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Peter's Chapel St Peter's Place

St Peters Alter

Great pic of the alter Harbourne any more like it?

St Peter's

Hi, I was married in St Peter's 10th May 1969. I think we were one of the last as it was pulled down shortly afterwards. I started at the school there in 1956 and was there until 1960. Brenda;)

Graves from St Peter's

I know I'm a little late replying but I've only just joined and you've probably found out the information you needed by now. Anyway - from what I remember, the remains from St Peter's were taken to the cemetery which is attached to the college at the top of Court Lane, Erdington. I think it used to be called Maryvale. The entrance is where the road bends just before it gets to Chester Road at New Oscott. I'm sorry but I don't know who would administer this but I'm sure the college would know.

Lady Penelope, Yes I do have that info now, but many thanks for telling me!! One day I hope to get up there, but I doubt there's anything to say, where the common graves were re-buried.

St Peter's Graves

Sheronb

Next time I'm up that way I will go and have a look for you. It's not far. I'll let you know how I get on.

Lady P

Lady P, that's very nice of you to offer!! I'm looking for Elizabeth Farrell(Lizzie) who died aged 7 1893, but what info, there would be on common buriels, I don't know! But thanks.

New Oscott Cemetery

Hi

As promised, I found out what I could - not much I'm afraid. I rang the cemetery office and they told me that the burials were indeed there but had not markers either individually or group. However, the remains are buried below a large wooden cross. I took a photo for you and will attempt to attach it.

Lady P

PS I've tried twice to attach it. First time it wouldn't accept it and the second time I thought it had worked but no sign of it! I will try again when I find out what I'm doing wrong.

Lady P.

Thank you very much, for all the trouble you have taken!!
I will try to get up there, next year.
Again, thank you!!:D

Sheronb.

St Peters

Thankyou Jeeze625,I have just been looking at the phot'os of St Peters church and the houses opposite.My fathers family went to school there and some of them were married there in fact I was a bridesmaid.My great aunts lived in the houses opposite.One of the family names was Clayton, thankyou again for a fantastic photo its a gem.

St Peter's Chapel, St Peter's Place

I have just obtained a marriage cert for relatives married in 1856, and they were married in St Peter's Chapel, St Peter's Place. Can anyone tell me which church this is, as I know there are several Peter's.
They were Irish, and as such RC, so hope that should help.

Wes

Re: St Peter's Chapel, St Peter's Place

Wes St Peters church was in St Peters Place just off Broad St the church was built in the reformation it was built with a small spire as to look like a factory as not to raise suspicion

My Parents were married there and my first son was also christened there and we all went to St Peter's school,the I C C now stands directly on its site:)Mossy

Wes if you put St Peters place in the search box at the top of the page there are some photo's of the church:)Mossy

Wes,

The history of the gradual offical recognition of the Roman Catholic Church in England at the end of the 18th century is very interesting to me (although I am more of a free thinker myself). The following is nicked from Wikipaedia, but it doesn't mention anything about the vicious reaction of many ordinary people:
From the death of James Francis Edward Stuart in January 1766, the Papacy recognised the Hanoverian dynasty as lawful rulers of England, Scotland and Ireland, after a gap of 70 years, and thereafter the Penal Laws started to be dismantled.
In Britain and Ireland the first Catholic Relief Act was passed in 1778; subject to an oath against Stuart claims to the throne and the civil jurisdiction of the Pope, it allowed Roman Catholics to own property, inherit land, and join the army. Reaction against this led to riots in Scotland in 1779 and then the Gordon Riots in London in 1780. Further relief was given by the Roman Catholic Relief Act 1791. Since the electoral franchise at the time was largely determined by property, this relief gave the votes to Roman Catholics holding land with a rental value of £2 a year. They also started to gain access to many middle-class professions from which they had been excluded, such as the legal profession, grand jurors, universities and the lower ranks of the army and judiciary.

Concerning the church itself, Kelly's 1904 Directory states:
St. Peter's Catholic church in St. Peter's place, Broad Street, was originally built in 1783, and renovated in 1870.

Below is an excerpt from a copy of a map by J Pigott Smith surveyed in 1824-1825, which I got from the Bham Central Library last week. Smith was, I believe, a freelance surveyor at that time, but he soon became engineer & surveyor to the Street Commissioners, and for a few years after they were replaced by the Public Works Committee of Birmingham Council in 1851.
The same map shows, by the way, a little chapel on part of the site of St Chad's Cathedral built ten years or so later.

Sorry It's too late now to look out for photos. I vaguely remember a rather modest little red brick building, but someone will surely find a photo soon.

Peter

Aston Parish Church
St Peter and Paul church, Aston Juxta Birmingham standing in the shadow of Aston Hall a church as stood on this site for many hundreds of years serving the religious needs of the people of Aston, and now a multi - cultural society.
The church as seen many changes over the years to its structure now looks over the Aston Expressway and Spaghetti Junction.

(Courtesy of Virtual Brum)

Great photos Dib i had not seen that photo of the front of the church,i just sat here reflecting back when i was at St Peters R C school and how happy i was there.

And to look at them church doors where my parents got married in 1944 and one of my sons had his christening there in 1969

And me being an alter boy at the church,and leading the May procession carrying a large cross,thanks for the memorys:)Mossy
remember mrs mcintrye . mr gunn

Yes Jab,and Mrs Lester, Mr Paddon,Mrs Higgins,Mr O'connor,:D:DMossy

Hello,
I have seen the two pictures of St. Peter Chapel, from Phyllis Nicklin's slides of Birmingham. One of 1967 and the other of 1953. I am interested into this church because one of my ancestor cristened there two children in 1802 and 1804. According to me, one of these pictures (the picture of 1953) is wrong. It is reflected. Is it true?

best wishes, Raffaello Puccini:)

Just noticed this thread, I went to St peters school from 1954 to 1960 I remember the wonderful May processions and the headmistress's, My mom worked at Joan Griffiths on the corner of broad street and the little lane that ran along the school playground, was that called St Peters Place.
I do have a couple of photo's somewhere of the Alter, which was stunning and also me in the procession. Who and when did anyone else go to this school?

Linda i have sent you a private message:)Mossy

remember mrs mcintrye . mr gunn

Dear Jabba, I was a pupil at St Peters RC School from 1949 until 1955 and the Staff I remember are Miss Clements [Headmistress] Miss McKintyre [Head of the junior school], Mrs. Lester. Miss Green. Miss O' Hara, Mr Gunn and Mrs. Blackband.
The priests I recall were Father Brown, Father Hugh Montgomery and Father O' Flynn. Hugh Montgomery [who I believe was a cousin to Field Marshall Bernard Law Montgomery] and I think became Monsignor Montgomery to Oxford University. Although I haven't been able to as yet, verify this.
I was also an altar server from about 1951 until about 1958.
I can also remember a sister of charity, Sister Gabriel.
I served at the mass for her funeral, that was held at St Peters.

Hello Raphaello,
There is nothing wrong with the photos, they ars taken from different sides.
John.

Hello Raphaello,
There is nothing wrong with the photos, they are taken from different sides.
John.

I wonder if the headmistress, Miss Clements was the same Miss Clements that was headmistress of King Edward VI camp Hill in the 60's!

Re: st peters place..broad st

i remember saint peters place very well i used to go to church every sunday at saint peters church, the church was origanally built to look like a factory from the outside due to reformation and the catholic faith was frowned upon, my sister went to the school, i used to go to the priests house every sunday, as my dad used to sell what they used to call tote tickets and the draw was every sunday after evening mass, i always went as my dad used to go to the robin hood pub in little garbett st every sunday for a few pints and was usually slightly drunk so my mom would not let him go to the priests house, i always went and got tea and biscuits whilst waiting for the draw, seeing those pics have bought back a lot of memories thanks
annie

Here's another picture of the antique shop, called 'Stratford House'.
Do you remember the glazed cart wheel window in the wall?
I seem to remember the shop was always closed!

Attachments

• City Broad St St Peters Place (1).jpg
    City Broad St St Peters Place (1).jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 36

Lloyd what a splendid pic..i still cant get me head round the fact that this was broad st....what a change...

lyn

different view

Attachments

• City Broad St, St Peters Place (1).jpg
    City Broad St, St Peters Place (1).jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 38
Back