• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Silver Blades Ice Rink

it would nice to see then can you remember stanford &tony thay where bros and there was ali &jon thay where bros patrick we all used to go to the power house too that was fun to. c.u.soon

Yo guys, I remember you Paul, and Marcus ! Im Alan, used to partner Dalton on the speed, think you might remember me ? i still see Dalton
in the gym occasionally and patrick was working the doors last time I saw him. Ali (johns brother) has his own plumbing firm. I still see some of the guys and will tell em about this site. we had some fun tho didnt we ! :p:p:p

Hi Alan, it's cool that i found someone thats i remember and remembers me thats cool, yea tell as many guys as you can about this site that would be cool as hell im in Atlanta so i don't get on until late your time so i will talk soon
Paul:):):)

Yo guys, I remember you Paul, and Marcus ! Im Alan, used to partner Dalton on the speed, think you might remember me ? i still see Dalton
in the gym occasionally and patrick was working the doors last time I saw him. Ali (johns brother) has his own plumbing firm. I still see some of the guys and will tell em about this site. we had some fun tho didnt we ! :p:p:p
hi alan its marcus its cool that this site exists it would good if all the old boys from the blades could meet up can you remember lisa and tracy c u soon.

hiya lads,
hows it goin? yo Marcus which lisa and tracey, and who did they hang with? probably know them but its been a while, u know what i mean. lol !
have you or paul got any pics from back then, would be great to see them would bring back so brilliant memories !
remember any of these names......faz, big glenn, mafia,ali,john, tall michael. michael, norman. martin...its starting to come back now......lol

Hi Alan, Glen came over here about 2 years ago with his family he is still Glen.:D Glen, Michael Normans brother and Roger worked in the skate hire. Ali, John, Hage, and Charlie and Tony Spencer,Most of us Played on the ICE BALL team. I was told that Hage got killed in a car crash with is brother but i do not know if this was true or not.:( Do you remember Jane that worked in the cafe? and Jerry who cleaned the rink? I have some photo's just got to fined them you know how that go's. Yea if anyone has any photo's please post them that would be great. Talk soon. maybe we can all get on at the same time one day but it's a little hard with the time diff, here.:)

paul, remember you as a bit of a ladies man, correct me if im wrong ! :D we had a bit of rivalry at first !:D:D:D but its really nice to hear from u hope its goin well in the u s for you. we havent spoken for about 25 years bro ! its really nice remembering those days,... i bet your grey by now mate !:D lol . we should link up some time and remenice. marcus im sure i know u but i cant put aface to the name , where are u livin now bro ? im in perry barr...?

Hi Alan, I don't think i had a rivalry with anyone but i don't know thats a long time ago but if i did what was it????:rolleyes:.. Anyway things are good over here I've been here 21 years now wow time fly's how are you doing hope things are good?? Alan who did you hang with at the rink. Me a ladies man never:D. I am trying to fined some photo's and post them Has soon has i can. Do you or macus have any????. Anyway talk soon. Paul

hi alan you just might remember me (rupert) or you will remember my sis maggie . i also new ali and john i new dalton very well and patrick i was there when some boys in blue (well 5) asked him if he could go with them because of a mistamina in the bull ring .i was in the blades tues wed thurs fri sat night and sunday lunch and all day on the bank hols happy days:)

Hi, just found this thread. I used to work at the rink back in the early to mid sixties. I firstly worked in the kitchen (washing up) then progressed to one of the spotlight operators. Spent all my off time on the ice.

hello everyone , I can beat allcomers on this subject! I started skateing there 1964 and started working after the fire in 1967. At some point I think that I would of had contact with most people on this site,I started on the engineering then management,in the 70s,the took over the role of chief engineer over all of meccas ice rinks. I closed it down in 1989 when it was sold to Midsummer leisure ,they were going to open it as a roller rink but planning was awkward and they went "bump".It was aquired a business man, who after I "badgered" him for 5 or 6 years agreed to reopen it.this is when Planet ice was "born" it reopened in sept 1996 untill the fire in closed it again 2002. I still have the keys and go in there at least once a week.

Hello and welcome Brian well you have cleared up a lot of questions in one post. I know a few on here who would love to re visit the place, but I think it would be very sad.:(

Name Game: Ok Brian B. (Crispie) lets see how you do, Your starter for ten is: 'People from Silver Blades Ice Rink 1965 - 1980' You get a point for everyone you remember (N.B. any with 1st & surname are in the public domain, on the web already or people I know personally) starting from the top, Ron Hargreaves GM (Grandad), Kevin catering manager & Bernie (cash desk, skate shop) Duncan Gumley Temp catering manager. Snr Steward Keith & girlfriend Carol, ast' Head Steward Pat - married Viv Marlow (head of the Metcalfe mafia incl: Tom 'the barrell jumper, sisters Pauline & Anne and that 'pain-in-the b**t' kid brother Brian). Gerry M, brothers Ronnie & Neville T, Pauline 'L' and 'make your mind up' Keith, Judy savage, Leslie 'R' and her kid sister with best friend Rachel & Sue. Bernard (never Bernie) the Instructor, Big Ron as well as Big Les, Lynne pemberton & her pals Mandy & Wendy + speedskater bro John, Clive Pass, Bob Gill, Corrinne Price & her pal Pam (those black 'spray on shorts' !!!!!) Graham Andrews, Tony Wemm, Ian Cooper ('Penny Black' & Ian are playing still) Keith Dunford, Chrissie Thomas/Badger, Mick the engineer (what was his surname, mates for 10 yrs and can't remember ??), Angela Moss, Bob Griffith, Dave Cox, Deidre Alexander, Cheryl Bolger, Sylvia Broadmore, Carol Comptom, Julie davies, Pam Tierney, Maxine barnes/Simpsom, Margaret Kenny, Gary Smalley, Dianne Jackson, Margaret reid, Mary Hollis, Dawn Bosworth/Perry, Jill Welsh, David Pugh, Jackie Wheet, Bernard reeves, Dave Roberts, Christine Broome/Rose, John Duckworth, Johnnie Morris (no, not Animal magic, he was the weekend chef in the restaurant) and last but not least George 'The Nigh....chman' by the way wasn't the DJ George ?

Ok Brian, I know you know every name on the list but it might be a good memory jogger for the rest of the bloggers

N.B. my memory isn't that good, half this list was 'nicked' from the Friends reunited 'Silver Blades' site, worth a look for anyone here who hasn't seen it, unfortunately no pics, cant believe of all the people and all the events in 'rusties' over the years = no pics, mind you, went there myself for 20 years and don't have a single snap, so can't complain, maybe we don't need photos, we keep the feeling not the mage.

If anyone wants to add additional names / memories to the list feel free.

wales, just been reading through this topic and you mention "spring hill roller rink " - my home (3 evenings a week at least in circa 1960 - 63) I never went to the town one, too loyal. We used to put on skate guards and walk across the road to the pub for a refreshing drink or two or 3, think it's a resturant now.

Does anyone have any photos in and or outside please?

Ray

hi ray. nice to hear from you. i went there late 60s at least 5 times a week. devastated when it closed. the pub over the road from the rink was the summerhill tavern. we all went in there to drown our sorrows when it closed. does this pic bring back memories for you. ps if you interested we are trying to get a 60s theme night going for members on the site. read all about it at the top of the main page (we need more men) wales. ps spring hill was an ice rink before it became rollar but the building didnt change.

Hi wales, thanks, it most certainly stir memories, some of which I thought were locked away and the key thrown away. Thanks for the invite, I will get back to you on this post and the meet, just my other half as had some sad family news today.

Regards

Ray

hi ray. sorry to hear you have had bad news. will talk when you are up to it. take care. wales.

Hi All

It's been great to read all of the postings :):) My time at Silver Blades was from around 1974 to 1976 and I went as often as I could:) Does anyone remember a redcoat called John Reader and what happened to him? If I remember right he was there in 1975. There was always something quite magical about the rink and I still get a thrill even now, when I think back to those times ;)

Hi Ray,
There are some photos in the Springhill Ice Rink thread mainly of the Speed Club, posted Autumn 2007. You can see the cafe in one of them.
I have some photos of general ice skating sessions somewhere in my computer, I'll look for them. I used to go across to the pub without skate guards - done it on tiptoe - stood on a mat in the pub. Could be tricky getting back into the rink !
Cheers
oldmohawk

Re: DJ's at the rink

The other DJ was Eddie he use to ride a motor bike but i never saw him with any women ?:rolleyes: Hey Pete,when did you stake at the rink you may know me if you went there alot. And yes Gill Martin was a kick a#$ DJ. Did you know anyone that worked at the rink? And did you ever watch a ice ball game? Paul.C

Hi Paul!

Just seen the Eddie R website? His music was always fab. He has loads of CD's and these days he does loads of gigs.

Can't find anything for Pete R though.

Regards

Leo

hi leanderpoole, ref DJs Pete R died in 1999,very sad,he had made a newv life in a tiny village in Wales,went to the funeral and villagers made us all very welcome,it seemed they had taken pete to there hearts

Hi Folks
My mates and I used to hang about by the Zamboni shed every night except Tuesday and Thursday in the mid 70s early 80s. Phil was tall and thin and impossible to seperate from his girlfriend, whos name unfortunatly I can't remember. Clive was a mechanic, as I (Robin) was at the time. Another one I cannot remember the name of (Phil comes to mind) used to drive an Austin A40 and used to take us the mile from Lea bank to the Blades. and dispite spending many evenings with them most of the names have now passed into history. If anyone can jog my aging mind I would look forward to it. There was a group of about ten My girlfriend at the time was Linda Higgs who lived on the Bristol Road.

Did the Jerry who drove the Zambino also compete in the Barrel Jumping team? I tried out but could never make more than eight. I think another member of the team was called Keith.

Does anyone remember the magic day when the council put 'No Entry' signs on all the roads outside the rink? There was chaos as cars came to the junction and couldn't make up their mind which way to go out!:D It was hilarious.

hi leanderpoole, ref DJs Pete R died in 1999,very sad,he had made a newv life in a tiny village in Wales,went to the funeral and villagers made us all very welcome,it seemed they had taken pete to there hearts

Hi Brian

He certainly liked the country life. The last time I spoke to him was shortly after he moved to Orkney. I also have an edition of his Skating News magazine dated January 1994 which I bought at Altrincham Ice Rink.

Regards

Leo

i used to go to silver blades every saterday with my mates, and we used to have a great, time it looks so sad now :( plus my mom met my dad there as he was a yellow coat .wish they would bring something like that back ,for the kids of today as they would let off a lot of steam,:rolleyes:

Re: I worked at the rink

I worked for alot of years (1980's till 1988) at silver blades before i moved to the U.S. I first was a red coat then i went to to the skate hire and then i became the zamboni driver and taking care of the ice & rink. I have alot of good memories, The speed session, The figure 8, I also played iceball if anyone remembers that game, And hockey for the birmingham eagles. It was sad to see the photos of the rink now.

Here is something for the Zamboni fans. It seems this machine has cult status in America and Canada.

[ame="https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DHmOguLaTY4"]YouTube - Great Zamboni Of Devotion: a ZamboniTrouble Picture[/ame]

Regards

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:
While still at school we were offerd a free skating session one afternoon a week in 1968 . The night before we went ,for the first time ,I dreamt that I was skating. I lived the dream next day as I was a natural. I loved it for a few years.

hi jillian atkins do you know a rita atkins i have some photo,s of her in the 60s, myself i know a john atkins from st martins flats 60s &70s, ok christy
HI my name is Ruth Devaney nee Nicholl went to to silver Blades for 3 years from 1972 to 1975 4 days a week lived in St Martins flates do yo have any old photos of the flats

Back